The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

stage 1 melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community stage 1 melanoma

Participant

is it possible for the cancer to be elsewhere in the body with a stage 1 melanoma?  when my husband got the pathology report back from the biopsy the doc told us that he thought he got it all but that didn't mean it wasn't somewhere else.  that has really bothered me.  is it possible?

We go to dermatologist tomorrow.  what a long 2 weeks this has been.

Becky

is it possible for the cancer to be elsewhere in the body with a stage 1 melanoma?  when my husband got the pathology report back from the biopsy the doc told us that he thought he got it all but that didn't mean it wasn't somewhere else.  that has really bothered me.  is it possible?

We go to dermatologist tomorrow.  what a long 2 weeks this has been.

Becky

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        MattF
        Participant

The simple answer is yes. Where was hi melanoma? how big? mitotic rate? clarks level?

With any stage melanoma there is always a possibility it is somewhere else in the body at microscopic levels

MattF
          Participant

The simple answer is yes. Where was hi melanoma? how big? mitotic rate? clarks level?

With any stage melanoma there is always a possibility it is somewhere else in the body at microscopic levels

MattF
            Participant

presleerae
              Participant

breslow 0,16mm

clark II

no ulceration

mitotic index <1/mm2

located on his left side

thanks so much

if you need anything else let me know

Janner
                Participant

Possible?  Yes. Anything is possible.  Likely?  No.  Your husband's melanoma is extremely low risk.  I can't imagine anyone telling you that it may be elsewhere in his body with stats like this.  This is stage IA with an extremely high survival rate.  I truthfully would not be spending any time worrying that it is elsewhere at this point.  There are never any guarantees with melanoma, but odds are extremely high that your husband will never deal with melanoma again.

Best wishes,

Janner

presleerae
                  Participant

thank you so much Janner.

presleerae
                    Participant

we will go to derm tomorrow.  they said he will get a wider excision,  is it possible that this will end with thedermatologist or will we continue on to an oncologist?

we have an appt with one on the 19th of aug.  this was set up by our primary care physician.

Janner
                      Participant

With stats like these, there is no reason to see an oncologist.  Basically, the wide excision should take care of everything.  What is an oncologist going to do?  There is no treatment other than surgery for an early stage lesion like this one.  Oncologists treat active disease and your husband doesn't have active disease.

Best wishes,

Janner

Stage IB since 1992, 3 MM primaries

Silva
                          Participant

Janner-how can we make contact via email? I need some of your positive feedback.

Silva
                            Participant

Janner-how can we make contact via email? I need some of your positive feedback.

Silva
                              Participant

presleerae
                              Participant

thank you and God Bless you!

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Good chance it will end without an Oncologist. The most like course to be recommended will be repeted visits to you Deermatologist and  a requirement to be self aware for the rest of your life.  The first year will be the most anxiety ridden.  When the one year mark passes one tends to relax more.  The majority of re-occurances (Small % of Stage I people) are found by the patients themself.  Go for it!  Live Life.  Drop in every now and then and let us know what the Derm visits say, until you get too busy with living to remember us!

presleerae
                                  Participant

Jerry you are so sweet!  I will never forget you.  When I first came here, you were the one who took me under your wing and chatted with me, helped me feel better immediately.  I will come back 🙂

MattF
                                    Participant

yep Janner is awesome.

I would answer anyone as possible but with your added info i would have to say highly improbable.

just get the wle….be sun aware and get regular skin checks.

JC
                                      Participant

Is there a guideline for when the prognosis is, "odds are extremely high you will never deal with melanoma again?"  Is it <0.2mm, <0.5mm, <0.8mm?

JC
                                        Participant

I always wonder about the repeated visits to the dermatologist, after having a primary diagnosed  The odds of another primary are low, 5%, 8%?  Now that the first and probably only primary has been diagnosed, what is the benefit of  visiting the dermatologist more often than you already were?

Janner
                                          Participant

Most people want to go more often – gives a feeling of control.  People who have melanoma are at higher risk for the other skin cancers, too.  But truthfully, I went 7 years withoiut seeing a derm after #1.  Only went back when I found #2.  I also found #3.  I don't count on any doctor to find one, just myself.  I go every 6 months because that is what my institution recommends for those with multiple primaries.  And since I'm reaching an age where the other types of skin cancers show up, it makes sense to me.  But as far as melanoma goes, I'd be fine with going on 1 year visits.  It's all what makes you comfortable!

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

Is there a LIKE button I can hit?blush

Janner
                                                Participant

Possible?  Yes. Anything is possible.  Likely?  No.  Your husband's melanoma is extremely low risk.  I can't imagine anyone telling you that it may be elsewhere in his body with stats like this.  This is stage IA with an extremely high survival rate.  I truthfully would not be spending any time worrying that it is elsewhere at this point.  There are never any guarantees with melanoma, but odds are extremely high that your husband will never deal with melanoma again.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

presleerae
                                                    Participant

presleerae
                                                      Participant

MattF
                                                        Participant

yep Janner is awesome.

I would answer anyone as possible but with your added info i would have to say highly improbable.

MattF
                                                          Participant

yep Janner is awesome.

presleerae
                                                          Participant

breslow 0,16mm

clark II

no ulceration

mitotic index <1/mm2

located on his left side

thanks so much

presleerae
                                                            Participant

breslow 0,16mm

clark II

no ulceration

mitotic index <1/mm2

located on his left side

thanks so much

presleerae
                                                              Participant

we will go to derm tomorrow.  they said he will get a wider excision,  is it possible that this will end with thedermatologist or will we continue on to an oncologist?

we have an appt with one on the 19th of aug.  this was set up by our primary care physician.

presleerae
                                                                Participant

Janner
                                                                  Participant

With stats like these, there is no reason to see an oncologist.  Basically, the wide excision should take care of everything.  What is an oncologist going to do?  There is no treatment other than surgery for an early stage lesion like this one.  Oncologists treat active disease and your husband doesn't have active disease.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

JerryfromFauq
                                                                      Participant

Good chance it will end without an Oncologist. The most like course to be recommended will be repeted visits to you Deermatologist and  a requirement to be self aware for the rest of your life.  The first year will be the most anxiety ridden.  When the one year mark passes one tends to relax more.  The majority of re-occurances (Small % of Stage I people) are found by the patients themself.  Go for it!  Live Life.  Drop in every now and then and let us know what the Derm visits say, until you get too busy with living to remember us!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                        Participant

presleerae
                                                                          Participant

presleerae
                                                                            Participant

presleerae
                                                                              Participant

Jerry you are so sweet!  I will never forget you.  When I first came here, you were the one who took me under your wing and chatted with me, helped me feel better immediately.  I will come back 🙂

presleerae
                                                                                Participant

JC
                                                                                  Participant

I always wonder about the repeated visits to the dermatologist, after having a primary diagnosed  The odds of another primary are low, 5%, 8%?  Now that the first and probably only primary has been diagnosed, what is the benefit of  visiting the dermatologist more often than you already were?

JC
                                                                                    Participant

JC
                                                                                      Participant

Is there a guideline for when the prognosis is, "odds are extremely high you will never deal with melanoma again?"  Is it <0.2mm, <0.5mm, <0.8mm?

JC
                                                                                        Participant

Janner
                                                                                          Participant

Most people want to go more often – gives a feeling of control.  People who have melanoma are at higher risk for the other skin cancers, too.  But truthfully, I went 7 years withoiut seeing a derm after #1.  Only went back when I found #2.  I also found #3.  I don't count on any doctor to find one, just myself.  I go every 6 months because that is what my institution recommends for those with multiple primaries.  And since I'm reaching an age where the other types of skin cancers show up, it makes sense to me.  But as far as melanoma goes, I'd be fine with going on 1 year visits.  It's all what makes you comfortable!

Janner
                                                                                            Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                              Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                Participant

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics