The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stable Tumor Size

Forums General Melanoma Community Stable Tumor Size

Participant

Hey guys,

It has been a while since I have posted.  Despite still having a tumour on my pancreas I have been doing well.  In December of 2016, I started the IPI/Nivo trial (Canada) and did quite well until my pituitary was damaged and I experienced severe arthritis.  I remained on the nivo for 7 months and then decided to take a break.  My tumour has shrunk from 8.5cm to 2.1cm in that amount of time.  Pretty amazing!  However on the latest CT it shows the tumor is the same size it was on my last CT (October 2017).  Im happy it hasn't grown but would prefer it to be gone!  I asked my oncologist if it could just be scar tissue and not necessarily the melanoma.  She thought there was a chance of this and it could just be inflammed tissue but they don't really know.  She said at this point it is up to me if I want to continue with the break or continue with the Nivo.

How is this situation being tackled in the U.S. when you get to a point where the tumor stops skrinking?  biopsy, PET scan, etc??

Thanks

Mark 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        sister of patient
        Participant

Hi Mark – we're in Ontario and my sister is on Nivo and NED after battling a huge tumour burden. In the end she had one stubborn met left in the pancreas, scan to scan it stayed the same or shrunk very little and then **poof** on a scan last summer, it was gone. She's finishing up immuno sometime this spring – it'll be about the 2-year mark. I think if I was in your place, and had such a response as you've had, I'd stick it out with nivo 'til that pesky met is gone!! Just my thoughts 🙂 I wish you the best whatever you decide!!

Barb

newmanmark
            Participant

Thanks Barb.  I really appreicate your response and I'm happy to hear that your sister is doing well after such a huge tumour burden.  

Bubbles
            Participant

Hey Mark,

Glad for the stability.  Unfortunately, there is no set answer for you.  Some continue to  monitor with scans.  Some biopsy.  Some remove the lesion surgically to see what is really in there….active melanoma vs debris…and either way, then it is gone.  It varies depending on the views/wishes of the patient and doc.  In so many ways melanoma treatment still lacks consensus.  Anyhow…hang tough.  Let us know what you decide.  I wish you my best.  celeste

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics