The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Stable moles diagnosed as melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Stable moles diagnosed as melanoma

Participant

Six years ago, I had a stable mole biopsied and it came back as a thin melanoma. Just last month, I had another stable mole biopsied and it came back as melanoma in situ.

These were both small-ish, and had not visably changed since I was a teenager (I'm 56).  I had a mole mapping done with the first diagnosis and have been vigilant about self-checking and my derm / melanoma clinic appointments.The pathology was done by UCSF, which is supposed to be a leader in this area.

No family history of melanoma at all, I have "slightly more than normal" number of moles and do have dysplastic moles.

I'm so confused, and do not know how to monitor my skin if my long-time stable moles are coming back with a melanoma diagnosis.  

Thoughts?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

They may have been stable melanomas.  I have read/heard something along the lines that many elderly people may actually have undiagnosed melanoma primaries but they just aren't growing.  So it might be similar with you and these melanomas were basically stable and may have stayed the same whether you had them removed now or later.  Or they were extremely slow growing.  No one can know for certain and it makes diagnosing more difficult. Removing all your moles is extreme and no guarantee since 50% of melanomas grow from new lesions. I don't know if there is any real plausible explanation and have no idea what I'd do in your place.  I don't have lots of moles but what I do have are mostly dysplastic.  I have a genetic defect that puts me at high risk for multiple primaries but an unknown family history.  Good luck!

MDelysle
            Participant

Thank you, Janner! With this last one (in situ), they had to go to two different labs and do a special stain to diagnose.  My long time derm suggests a dermatologist skin check every six months and for me to continue to do monthly self checks.  It all feels very "let's cross our fingers" vs proactive.

MDelysle
              Participant

Thank you, Janner! With this last one (in situ), they had to go to two different labs and do a special stain to diagnose.  My long time derm suggests a dermatologist skin check every six months and for me to continue to do monthly self checks.  It all feels very "let's cross our fingers" vs proactive.

MDelysle
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

They may have been stable melanomas.  I have read/heard something along the lines that many elderly people may actually have undiagnosed melanoma primaries but they just aren't growing.  So it might be similar with you and these melanomas were basically stable and may have stayed the same whether you had them removed now or later.  Or they were extremely slow growing.  No one can know for certain and it makes diagnosing more difficult. Removing all your moles is extreme and no guarantee since 50% of melanomas grow from new lesions. I don't know if there is any real plausible explanation and have no idea what I'd do in your place.  I don't have lots of moles but what I do have are mostly dysplastic.  I have a genetic defect that puts me at high risk for multiple primaries but an unknown family history.  Good luck!

Janner
                  Participant

jennunicorn
                    Participant

That's definitely a rough spot to be in, since in almost all situations change is what we look for. 

You're doing the right thing keeping up with ongoing visits to your derm. UCSF is very good, their dermatopathologists are very knowledgeable about melanoma. I'd keep up with going to your derm, does your derm use a dermoscope to look at your moles when you go? I know my derm at UCSF uses one and she says it helps her really be able to tell if something needs to be biopsied or not, takes the guess work out of it. 

All the best,

MDelysle
                        Participant

Hi Jenn-

Both my derm and my Melonoma clinic Drs (Stanford) use a dermatoscope.

She looked at the one that was diagnosed as situ with her dermatoscopeshe, compared against my mole map and said it looked fine, No changes in six years, but also said since it looked unique to my other moles that we should just biopsy it. (She tends to take a couple of moles a year, which I am fine with).

I'm curious who you see at UCSF.

jennunicorn
                          Participant

Stanford is close to home for me too.. but I go to UCSF because it was highly recommended by a couple of people who had family members with melanoma. The 45 minute drive isn't terrible.

Glad your derm is proactive. Seeing something that although hasn't changed in many years but looks different from other moles is a good sign to biopsy. 

My derm at the UCSF Melanoma Center is Dr. Susana Ortiz-Urda, she's so full of melanoma knowledge it's pretty amazing, was a world of difference going to her from just a regular derm.

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Stanford is close to home for me too.. but I go to UCSF because it was highly recommended by a couple of people who had family members with melanoma. The 45 minute drive isn't terrible.

Glad your derm is proactive. Seeing something that although hasn't changed in many years but looks different from other moles is a good sign to biopsy. 

My derm at the UCSF Melanoma Center is Dr. Susana Ortiz-Urda, she's so full of melanoma knowledge it's pretty amazing, was a world of difference going to her from just a regular derm.

jennunicorn
                              Participant

MDelysle
                                Participant

Hi Jenn-

She looked at the one that was diagnosed as situ with her dermatoscopeshe, compared against my mole map and said it looked fine, No changes in six years, but also said since it looked unique to my other moles that we should just biopsy it. (She tends to take a couple of moles a year, which I am fine with).

MDelysle
                                  Participant

Hi Jenn-

jennunicorn
                                  Participant

That's definitely a rough spot to be in, since in almost all situations change is what we look for. 

You're doing the right thing keeping up with ongoing visits to your derm. UCSF is very good, their dermatopathologists are very knowledgeable about melanoma. I'd keep up with going to your derm, does your derm use a dermoscope to look at your moles when you go? I know my derm at UCSF uses one and she says it helps her really be able to tell if something needs to be biopsied or not, takes the guess work out of it. 

All the best,

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

All the best,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics