The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SRS Gamma knife

Forums General Melanoma Community SRS Gamma knife

Participant

My husband is to have srs done in four places in his brain over the next two day. Tonight his fear is worked up and he has doubts if he wants to go. He had wbr back in september and it took him out after about 3 weeks after treatment. It has given him short term memory loss to this day and mad him very sleepy. he has fears that they might hit the worng spot and cause brain damange his nerves are bad right now. we are on yervoy in two weeks we get our 3 dose and after srs they want to treat his rib spine and back with radiaion oh and chest anyway we are looking for others who have been here and can tell me what to expect or what it was like. we dont have to do the halo by the way. thank you

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

Hi Crystale,

I had Gamma Knife in 2011 (and CyberKnife in 2010). What I found reassuring about the metal frame your husband will get for Gamma Knife, is that it holds the head almost perfectly still during radiation. After that it's up to the plan the radiation oncologist makes. No worries about wondering if a 1mm movement of his head will mess up the radiation plan.

I don't think SRS should be anything as hard as WBR was for him, based on my own experience and reading many others here. It only targets where the rays intersect as you know, so it's only small areas. For me, after what I'd been through, I was really happy to get Gamma Knife to kill away the tumors. Any fears of radiation damage were very much outdone by fear of not being treated.

Good luck to him and you tomorrow.

Kyle 

kylez
          Participant

Hi Crystale,

I had Gamma Knife in 2011 (and CyberKnife in 2010). What I found reassuring about the metal frame your husband will get for Gamma Knife, is that it holds the head almost perfectly still during radiation. After that it's up to the plan the radiation oncologist makes. No worries about wondering if a 1mm movement of his head will mess up the radiation plan.

I don't think SRS should be anything as hard as WBR was for him, based on my own experience and reading many others here. It only targets where the rays intersect as you know, so it's only small areas. For me, after what I'd been through, I was really happy to get Gamma Knife to kill away the tumors. Any fears of radiation damage were very much outdone by fear of not being treated.

Kyle 

kylez
            Participant

Hi Crystale,

Kyle 

ed williams
              Participant

Hi Crystale, I had cyberknife done at the Ottawa General hospital in Oct 2013 and the procedure went off with out any problems. I was on the table for one hour to treat 3 small tumors, each about 3 -4 mm in size. My scan in December at x-mas of last year showed the procedure had worked. I started a BMS drug trial the first week of January last year getting Ipi or Nivolumab or both drug together (double blind). I felt fine after the procedure and was able to be active going for a ride on my mountain bike 2 days later. Wishing you and your husband the best with the treatments. Ed

yazziemac
                  Participant

Hi Crystale

My husband had gamma knife radiation in Toronto on December 17, 2014.  His treatment lasted 78 minutes to target the area where a tumour had been removed by surgery 2 weeks earlier.  The worst part of the radiation treatment is when they attach the "frame" to your head, which takes about 5 minutes to do and can be a bit uncomfortable and unnverving.  Your husband can ask to have a sedative like Ativan beforehand, if he's nervous.  The actual radiation was painless and my husband's main side effect since has been fatigue.  I hope that all goes very well for your husband!

Yasmin

tschmith
                    Participant

I had SRS in March of 2013 about 3 weeks after a tumor was removed from my brain.  It fascinated me and I felt no discomfort.  I felt a little dizzy on and off for a day and that's about it.  Almost two years later and many MRIs, there are still no signs of any new mets.  

Good luck to you and your husband!

Terrie

tschmith
                      Participant

I had SRS in March of 2013 about 3 weeks after a tumor was removed from my brain.  It fascinated me and I felt no discomfort.  I felt a little dizzy on and off for a day and that's about it.  Almost two years later and many MRIs, there are still no signs of any new mets.  

Terrie

tschmith
                        Participant

Terrie

yazziemac
                          Participant

Hi Crystale

My husband had gamma knife radiation in Toronto on December 17, 2014.  His treatment lasted 78 minutes to target the area where a tumour had been removed by surgery 2 weeks earlier.  The worst part of the radiation treatment is when they attach the "frame" to your head, which takes about 5 minutes to do and can be a bit uncomfortable and unnverving.  Your husband can ask to have a sedative like Ativan beforehand, if he's nervous.  The actual radiation was painless and my husband's main side effect since has been fatigue.  I hope that all goes very well for your husband!

Yasmin

yazziemac
                            Participant

Hi Crystale

Yasmin

ed williams
                            Participant

Hi Crystale, I had cyberknife done at the Ottawa General hospital in Oct 2013 and the procedure went off with out any problems. I was on the table for one hour to treat 3 small tumors, each about 3 -4 mm in size. My scan in December at x-mas of last year showed the procedure had worked. I started a BMS drug trial the first week of January last year getting Ipi or Nivolumab or both drug together (double blind). I felt fine after the procedure and was able to be active going for a ride on my mountain bike 2 days later. Wishing you and your husband the best with the treatments. Ed

ed williams
                              Participant

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

I had radiation to one spot in my head but it was pressing on the brain from the outside so my experience might be a little different. Like Yasmin said a sedative might help. The worse for me was the head gear plus the last day of treatment I kept choking. 

I've had radiation to spine and hip and leg. It all depends on where exactly they are radiating as to what side affects he might have. Like the t12 and l2 vertebrae caused some stomach and eating issues but mild enough I toughed through. The actual procedures was way easier than the head though. Although they say doing multiple spots is ok you still only have one body and nutrition system to build back from the radiation tearing the body down. If he's well taken care of he might be able to tolerate all those spots at once. My 7 zones in 4 treatments have been spread over 18 months granted it has been more of a need to do basis at the time. Also the amount of gray per treatment is important. Typically melanoma does not respond to less than 6 gray. However some spots they can't treat that strong like my hip so I'm hoping the immunotherapy makes up the difference.

good luck to you both.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

I had radiation to one spot in my head but it was pressing on the brain from the outside so my experience might be a little different. Like Yasmin said a sedative might help. The worse for me was the head gear plus the last day of treatment I kept choking. 

I've had radiation to spine and hip and leg. It all depends on where exactly they are radiating as to what side affects he might have. Like the t12 and l2 vertebrae caused some stomach and eating issues but mild enough I toughed through. The actual procedures was way easier than the head though. Although they say doing multiple spots is ok you still only have one body and nutrition system to build back from the radiation tearing the body down. If he's well taken care of he might be able to tolerate all those spots at once. My 7 zones in 4 treatments have been spread over 18 months granted it has been more of a need to do basis at the time. Also the amount of gray per treatment is important. Typically melanoma does not respond to less than 6 gray. However some spots they can't treat that strong like my hip so I'm hoping the immunotherapy makes up the difference.

good luck to you both.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                    Participant

good luck to you both.

Artie

LuckyMan51
                                      Participant

Hi,

I had SRS three times. There is no discomfort away from the halo getting screwed in but a local anesthetic eased that. I had the SRS done with Yercoy on two of those occasions. Search for the Abscopal effect on this site or look on the MSK web site and view the paper that Dr Jed Wolchok wrote on it. The combination of Yervoy and radiation has been getting some good results in stumulating the body's own natural defenses to attack the melanoma. From what I have heard SRS is significantly easier on the patient than the WBR. I would urge your husband to not get too worked up and embrace the concurrent SRS and Yervoy therapies. In reality for most people they are piece of cake and if you tolerate the Yervoy well, as most do, it should be beneficial. I too had some recall and memory issues but a small price to pay for being healthy and alive. I remember I love my wife and children and am in no rush to leave this great life. If any think get overwhelming I just put the breaks on and move at the new normal speed. Take the type A out of the passing lane and enjoy the view from the cruising lane. Same great view and you have more time to enjoy it. 

LuckyMan51
                                        Participant

Hi,

I had SRS three times. There is no discomfort away from the halo getting screwed in but a local anesthetic eased that. I had the SRS done with Yercoy on two of those occasions. Search for the Abscopal effect on this site or look on the MSK web site and view the paper that Dr Jed Wolchok wrote on it. The combination of Yervoy and radiation has been getting some good results in stumulating the body's own natural defenses to attack the melanoma. From what I have heard SRS is significantly easier on the patient than the WBR. I would urge your husband to not get too worked up and embrace the concurrent SRS and Yervoy therapies. In reality for most people they are piece of cake and if you tolerate the Yervoy well, as most do, it should be beneficial. I too had some recall and memory issues but a small price to pay for being healthy and alive. I remember I love my wife and children and am in no rush to leave this great life. If any think get overwhelming I just put the breaks on and move at the new normal speed. Take the type A out of the passing lane and enjoy the view from the cruising lane. Same great view and you have more time to enjoy it. 

DZnDef
                                            Participant

I like your attitude, Anonymous!  I have been smelling lots of roses myself these days.  Life is so beautiful in the slow lane.

Cheers!

DZnDef
                                              Participant

I like your attitude, Anonymous!  I have been smelling lots of roses myself these days.  Life is so beautiful in the slow lane.

Cheers!

DZnDef
                                                Participant

Cheers!

LuckyMan51
                                                Participant

Hi,

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics