The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Squamous cell carcinoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Squamous cell carcinoma

Participant

My dermatologist had a little spot (1 cm) on my face biopsied which came back squamous cell carcinoma.  I am scheduled for Moh's surgery in a few weeks to get it cleaned up.

I am starting my Ipi maintenance phase for Stage III melanoma next week.  Has anyone heard of the presence of a different cancer on the skin causing problems with continuing treatment of a melanoma?

My dermatologist had a little spot (1 cm) on my face biopsied which came back squamous cell carcinoma.  I am scheduled for Moh's surgery in a few weeks to get it cleaned up.

I am starting my Ipi maintenance phase for Stage III melanoma next week.  Has anyone heard of the presence of a different cancer on the skin causing problems with continuing treatment of a melanoma?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Richard_K
        Participant
          Although I was (still am) on Zelboraf phase 2 clinical trial, I too had a squamous cell carcinoma. It was also removed with Moh’s surgery and it caused no issues with my trial. The only discomfort I had was trying to lie still on table during the procedure, I had broken my arm just below the shoulder two weeks prior.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Richard_K
          Participant
            Although I was (still am) on Zelboraf phase 2 clinical trial, I too had a squamous cell carcinoma. It was also removed with Moh’s surgery and it caused no issues with my trial. The only discomfort I had was trying to lie still on table during the procedure, I had broken my arm just below the shoulder two weeks prior.

Richard_K
            Participant

Tim–MRF

Squamous cell carcinomas are a known side effect of taking a BRAF inhibitor, though by no means does it happen in all or even most patients.  I have not heard of it as being tied to ipi.  I suspect it is an independent cancer that arose on its own, and have not heard of these kinds of things having any impact on treatment.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Squamous cell carcinomas are a known side effect of taking a BRAF inhibitor, though by no means does it happen in all or even most patients.  I have not heard of it as being tied to ipi.  I suspect it is an independent cancer that arose on its own, and have not heard of these kinds of things having any impact on treatment.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics