The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Spitz Nevus vs Nodular Amelanotic Melanoma…waiting for results

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Spitz Nevus vs Nodular Amelanotic Melanoma…waiting for results

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by MMH.
    Participant
      I am a 45 year old female. I had a 6mm red nodule on my shin for quite a while. I delayed going to the dermatologist because it didn’t look like the typical pictures of skin cancer they show. I now wish I had gone in right away. The dermatologist did a shave biopsy ( I would’ve requested a different kind if I had know melanoma was suspected and I had read about it, since excisional biopsy is the preferred way) The dermatologist said it was either a spitz nevus, a dermatofibroma r/o malignancy. He said I would hear within a week. I waited, hearing nothing and so I messaged him and he then said the sample was sent for a second opinion and it can take 1-2 more weeks for the results. He said that usually means it is a borderline lesion: an atypical mole vs. a very early melanoma (meaning curable with surgery) I am not sure how he can say that before he knows for sure what it is. The anxiety is driving me crazy. Anyone else go through something similar? :wacko:
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MMH
        Participant
          I am sorry you are going through this. I had a .6mm spitzoid melanoma a few years ago at age 44. I would be happy to chat.
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics