The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Speculation on an Unknown Primary

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Speculation on an Unknown Primary

Participant

When I was 15 I had a problem with inflammed lymph nodes in my right axilla. The decision was made to operate, because of possible cancer. When the operation was in process the surgeons decided to perform a radical lymphadenctomy because they believed that it was cancer. An analysis of the biopsy, however, did not show evidence of cancer. Later in the summer I had a lesion appear on my lip that was diagnosed as a granuloma pyogenicum.

When I was 15 I had a problem with inflammed lymph nodes in my right axilla. The decision was made to operate, because of possible cancer. When the operation was in process the surgeons decided to perform a radical lymphadenctomy because they believed that it was cancer. An analysis of the biopsy, however, did not show evidence of cancer. Later in the summer I had a lesion appear on my lip that was diagnosed as a granuloma pyogenicum. These are not easily distinguishable from amelanotic melanoma.  At 62, I was diagnosed with Stage II cancer of the breast, and, at 71, Stage IV melanoma, unknown primary, which had landed in my lung. 

I had a nephew die of metastatic melanoma in 1997 at the age of 29. He also had a melanoma of unknown primary, which was caught for the first time in the left axillary area.  H, like me,  also had a radical lmphadenectomy and he was then diagnosed with Stage IV melanoma. I remember before he was diagnosed his showing me the area under his arm, and I encouraged him to see a doctor, while at the same time telling him that I suspected that he was probably dealing with the same thing I had at the age of 15. Interesting, too, was that the original diagnosis he got after his operation was lymphoma, which then got changed to melanoma. (My mother died of presumed lymphoma at 93, though the lymphoma was never biopsied.) He was 27 at the time of appearance.

My mother had stage 1 melanoma of the skin as did two of my first cousins on her side and an aunt same side died of pancreatic cancer. So a good case for familial melanoma.

But I wonder about the remote possibility that I originally had melanoma at 15, it receded and returned at age 71.  What about the biopsies that said I did not have cancer? I wonder how well the art and science of biopsy was developed in 1956, the year chemotherapy was first used, and whether, since the pathologist would probably never have been looking for a melanoma first appearing in the lymph nodes and the differential diagnosis of the granuloma and melanoma is even so difficult today, it could have been missed  With the family history, you can believe my wife and I were personally very cautious about the development of skin melanoma through the years and I had annual full body checks with a dermatologist.Nothing of any kind ever showed up before the Stage IV diagnosis.

Speculation never to be confirmed and maybe there is good reason to think it's an impossible scenario I am painting.. I know it's all very unlikely, but could it be?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        hbecker
        Participant

You might want to get in touch with Dr. Margaret Tucker at the National Cancer Institute, who studies familial melanoma. You can read more about the subject on my blog at http://hazelbecker.com/?q=content/melanoma-families-whos-risk – it won't have an answer to your question but will introduce you to Dr. Tucker's research.

hbecker
          Participant

You might want to get in touch with Dr. Margaret Tucker at the National Cancer Institute, who studies familial melanoma. You can read more about the subject on my blog at http://hazelbecker.com/?q=content/melanoma-families-whos-risk – it won't have an answer to your question but will introduce you to Dr. Tucker's research.

hbecker
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics