The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sorry- last question. this one on NEW moles– watch or remove?

Forums General Melanoma Community Sorry- last question. this one on NEW moles– watch or remove?

Participant

HI- me again (the one who is asking about UNchanging moles and innocent new ones etc.

I am obviously on high alert now… fun!
      I just noticed a BRAND new mole on my leg. It looks normal (brown, about 1mm, round) in and of itself, but it is definitely brand spanking new.

I have hundreds of moles and family and personal history of mm in-situ. I will plan to get it removed, but is this the norm?
      For moley people, do you get new moles and only "panic" or remove if they continue growing or look otherwise atypical?

HI- me again (the one who is asking about UNchanging moles and innocent new ones etc.

I am obviously on high alert now… fun!
      I just noticed a BRAND new mole on my leg. It looks normal (brown, about 1mm, round) in and of itself, but it is definitely brand spanking new.

I have hundreds of moles and family and personal history of mm in-situ. I will plan to get it removed, but is this the norm?
      For moley people, do you get new moles and only "panic" or remove if they continue growing or look otherwise atypical?

So far, 3 newish ones I have removed have all been moderately atypical (two on butt and one on toe)

I am 40 btw….

Thanks– I am in a panic over this little thing (among others) and need some advice as i don't see derm for a month.

Don't want to rush in for a normal looking spot because I have tons more to show/ possibly remove and I don't want to get crazy.. thanks

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I have multiple primaries and am also stage IV. I use to constantly have moles removed. One Dr. told me that he would end up skinning me if he took off all of the moles I asked him too. None of mine are normal shaped and normal color. I have new moles all of the time. 

I've been diagnosed with dysplastic nevus syndrome and have now found that I am particular with who my dermatologist is, and I watch for rapid change.  I've had probably 10 or so severely atypical that have required wide excisions along with the 6 primaries and 1 insitu. I go to the derm every 3 months and I have pictures of all of my moles.  You just can't remove them all. Some of us are prone to have funny shaped moles with new ones coming along. Face it, we weren't born with any of these so at some point all of our moles were new.  Quick change is what you are looking for. 

Take some photo's and refer back when you get concerned. Don't let this take over your life.

Linda

stage IV since 06 stable

dealing with mel since 1979

lhaley
          Participant

I have multiple primaries and am also stage IV. I use to constantly have moles removed. One Dr. told me that he would end up skinning me if he took off all of the moles I asked him too. None of mine are normal shaped and normal color. I have new moles all of the time. 

I've been diagnosed with dysplastic nevus syndrome and have now found that I am particular with who my dermatologist is, and I watch for rapid change.  I've had probably 10 or so severely atypical that have required wide excisions along with the 6 primaries and 1 insitu. I go to the derm every 3 months and I have pictures of all of my moles.  You just can't remove them all. Some of us are prone to have funny shaped moles with new ones coming along. Face it, we weren't born with any of these so at some point all of our moles were new.  Quick change is what you are looking for. 

Take some photo's and refer back when you get concerned. Don't let this take over your life.

Linda

stage IV since 06 stable

dealing with mel since 1979

Janner
            Participant

The thing I was told by a mole mapping doc:

New is fine if it looks like all your other moles.  New and "different from your other moles" is a candidate for biopsy.  If you have dysplastic nevus syndrome, you will most likely continue to develop new moles.  It comes with the territory.  If the new moles stand out and catch your attention because of their characteristics – not because they are new – then go with your gut.

Janner

3 MM primaries, stage I since 1992

ErinMcH
                Participant

I agree with Janner.  If something is striking to you, have it looked at.  If it's new and does not appear to have any of the atypical signs and symptoms.   Keep and eye out on it and wait……  

ErinMcH
                  Participant

I agree with Janner.  If something is striking to you, have it looked at.  If it's new and does not appear to have any of the atypical signs and symptoms.   Keep and eye out on it and wait……  

Janner
                  Participant

The thing I was told by a mole mapping doc:

New is fine if it looks like all your other moles.  New and "different from your other moles" is a candidate for biopsy.  If you have dysplastic nevus syndrome, you will most likely continue to develop new moles.  It comes with the territory.  If the new moles stand out and catch your attention because of their characteristics – not because they are new – then go with your gut.

Janner

3 MM primaries, stage I since 1992

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics