The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sore rib-could it be melanoma???

Forums General Melanoma Community Sore rib-could it be melanoma???

Participant

Hi,

I am a stage 4 and have active disease on my legs & lungs.

I have had "one" sore rib (about 1/3 of the rib) for about 3 weeks. Of course, my mind thinks it is mel. I do not remember straining or hurting my rib cage.

I sincerely would appreciate any  feedback from  those with mets on the rib.  What are the symptoms?

Thank you for taking the time to reply tomy post.

Mary

Hi,

I am a stage 4 and have active disease on my legs & lungs.

I have had "one" sore rib (about 1/3 of the rib) for about 3 weeks. Of course, my mind thinks it is mel. I do not remember straining or hurting my rib cage.

I sincerely would appreciate any  feedback from  those with mets on the rib.  What are the symptoms?

Thank you for taking the time to reply tomy post.

Mary

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        boot2aboot
        Participant

call your doc

boots

boot2aboot
          Participant

call your doc

boots

boot2aboot
            Participant

call your doc

boots

Swanee
              Participant

Hello, I too have stage 4 and have/had subcutaneous tumors on my trunk, rib cage and breast.  Each of the tumors has had their own pain level, some of smallest causing the most (on rib cage) and larger ones in breast causing the least amount of pain.  I think the ones on my ribs hurt more because there is no fat and are right up against the bone vs. the breast tumors are floating in more fatty tissue but eventually they too grow painful.  I would say though that my  whole rib doesn't hurt but rather the area under the tumor hurts which is on my rib (does that make sense?)  Anyway, always take it to your doctor, they're the experts and I think we all defer to that black cloud of has it moved elsewhere.  Good luck, stay positive and call your doctor or nursing staff.

Swanee
                Participant

Hello, I too have stage 4 and have/had subcutaneous tumors on my trunk, rib cage and breast.  Each of the tumors has had their own pain level, some of smallest causing the most (on rib cage) and larger ones in breast causing the least amount of pain.  I think the ones on my ribs hurt more because there is no fat and are right up against the bone vs. the breast tumors are floating in more fatty tissue but eventually they too grow painful.  I would say though that my  whole rib doesn't hurt but rather the area under the tumor hurts which is on my rib (does that make sense?)  Anyway, always take it to your doctor, they're the experts and I think we all defer to that black cloud of has it moved elsewhere.  Good luck, stay positive and call your doctor or nursing staff.

Swanee
                  Participant

rbruce
                    Participant

Hey Mary,

What did your last PET/CT show?  I wouldn't worry about it until you've seen it on a scan and then it can be addressed.  I've got rib mets and they do cause me intermittent pain, especially when sleeping on my side.  I get a Zometa infusion once a month to keep it stable.  Seems every pain I get, I go into the "is it melanoma?" mode.  Luckily my wife brings me back to reality.  Hope yours is nothing but a bruise or strained muscle. 

Robert

rbruce
                      Participant

Hey Mary,

What did your last PET/CT show?  I wouldn't worry about it until you've seen it on a scan and then it can be addressed.  I've got rib mets and they do cause me intermittent pain, especially when sleeping on my side.  I get a Zometa infusion once a month to keep it stable.  Seems every pain I get, I go into the "is it melanoma?" mode.  Luckily my wife brings me back to reality.  Hope yours is nothing but a bruise or strained muscle. 

Robert

killmel
                          Participant

Thank you everyone for responding to my post.

Robert,

To answer your question,my last scans were in December and rib met was not found on radiologist report.My next

scans are schedule for March 13th.

When I touch my rib, it is very sore. Is that a symptom of a rib met??

Has Zometa been effective for you? Have you experienced any side effect on Zometa?

I sincerely appreciate your input Robert.

Mary

killmel
                            Participant

Robert,

To answer your question,my last scans were in December and rib met was not found on radiologist report.My next

Has Zometa been effective for you? Have you experienced any side effect on Zometa?

Mary

killmel
                              Participant

Robert,

Mary

rbruce
                              Participant

Hey Mary,

Robert

SStamps
                                Participant
                                  My husband has brain spine lung and a met on his left 7th rib before he was diagnosed his rib hurt but he did strain it then. Recently he started having pain in in the same area without straining chest ct shows it has grown he will be starting Braf soon. I agree call your Dr soon.
                                  Blessings to you
                                  Samantha
                                  SStamps
                                  Participant
                                    My husband has brain spine lung and a met on his left 7th rib before he was diagnosed his rib hurt but he did strain it then. Recently he started having pain in in the same area without straining chest ct shows it has grown he will be starting Braf soon. I agree call your Dr soon.
                                    Blessings to you
                                    Samantha
                                      Wally
                                      Participant

Hi all, I had a RML lobectomy in April last year.No spread detected and no further scans done – only blood counts every 4 months, the last being in January this year. So far negative and considered NED – thank God.

However, I have had intermittent pain in the right rib for quite some time. I am told it could be nerve regeneration or damage to ribs during operation or possible damage to the tissue sac that surrounds the remaining portion of the lung resulting in the fluid draining and the tissue drying out.

Blood counts revealed nothing and a full bone scan indicated a possible tumor on the rib. I was referred to the surgeon who did the lobectomy and he laughed indicating that it was nothing to worry about as he probably damaged the rib during the op.

That said, a nerve block was administered but the pain persisted and I still have periodic spells of pain on a daily basis, which is centralized in one spot on the rib which also remains tender to the touch. The strange thing is that the pain is not continuous but occurs at odd times – not necessarily when I am doing anything in particular.

Has anyone else had a similar experience because I am at my wits end as to what is really going on – nobody seems to be able, or prepared, to give me a solid explanation. 

Regards to all

Wally from the Rep of SA

Wally
                                        Participant

Hi all, I had a RML lobectomy in April last year.No spread detected and no further scans done – only blood counts every 4 months, the last being in January this year. So far negative and considered NED – thank God.

However, I have had intermittent pain in the right rib for quite some time. I am told it could be nerve regeneration or damage to ribs during operation or possible damage to the tissue sac that surrounds the remaining portion of the lung resulting in the fluid draining and the tissue drying out.

Blood counts revealed nothing and a full bone scan indicated a possible tumor on the rib. I was referred to the surgeon who did the lobectomy and he laughed indicating that it was nothing to worry about as he probably damaged the rib during the op.

That said, a nerve block was administered but the pain persisted and I still have periodic spells of pain on a daily basis, which is centralized in one spot on the rib which also remains tender to the touch. The strange thing is that the pain is not continuous but occurs at odd times – not necessarily when I am doing anything in particular.

Has anyone else had a similar experience because I am at my wits end as to what is really going on – nobody seems to be able, or prepared, to give me a solid explanation. 

Regards to all

Wally from the Rep of SA

Wally
                                          Participant

Regards to all

Wally from the Rep of SA

SStamps
                                          Participant
                                            Blessings to you
                                            Samantha
                                        Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics