The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

something that made me go hummmmmmmm…

Forums General Melanoma Community something that made me go hummmmmmmm…

Participant

Yesterday while visiting my friend in the hospital as she had her surgery to remove a grapefruit mass of melanoma from her intestines…the nurse said somethings about care,insurance etc etc..

Yesterday while visiting my friend in the hospital as she had her surgery to remove a grapefruit mass of melanoma from her intestines…the nurse said somethings about care,insurance etc etc..

She said there have been  many times that during chemotherapy  insurance companies would drop their clients because of the expense of chemo so then they would have to stop treatment and wait until they get approved by Medicare or Medicaid…that really shocked me…the she also said a lot of insurances only allow you so many days as inpatient given a specific  treatment even if the patient hasn't recovered enough…she came right out and said that if the pateint is on Medicare and Medicaid that wouldn't happen to them…that totally was the opposite of what I thought…I thought Medicaid and Medicare would cover the least….

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Amy Busby
        Participant

I was a student when first dx in 2003, no insurance at all.  I qualified for medicaid and everything for my initial surgery and treatment was covered 100%.  After 2 yrs I became eligible for Medicare.  I selected a Medicare Advantage Plan – an HMO, rather than traditional Medicare.  I have been very pleased with the care I've gotten.  I've never been denied anything I wanted / needed for my care.  The costs are very reasonable compared to most other insurance plans.  They assign the hard case people, like me!, a case manager to help navigate the paperwork & referrals & pre-approvals and such.

Amy

Amy Busby
          Participant

I was a student when first dx in 2003, no insurance at all.  I qualified for medicaid and everything for my initial surgery and treatment was covered 100%.  After 2 yrs I became eligible for Medicare.  I selected a Medicare Advantage Plan – an HMO, rather than traditional Medicare.  I have been very pleased with the care I've gotten.  I've never been denied anything I wanted / needed for my care.  The costs are very reasonable compared to most other insurance plans.  They assign the hard case people, like me!, a case manager to help navigate the paperwork & referrals & pre-approvals and such.

Amy

Lori C
            Participant

Will had Medicare &  Medicaid.  It was an enormous blessing.   I see people on here having such struggles with their private insurance companies and that was never the case for Will.    It was the only part of this whole process that never caused me any grief or trouble. 

Lori C
              Participant

Will had Medicare &  Medicaid.  It was an enormous blessing.   I see people on here having such struggles with their private insurance companies and that was never the case for Will.    It was the only part of this whole process that never caused me any grief or trouble. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics