The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Some thougts on cancer and money

Forums General Melanoma Community Some thougts on cancer and money

Participant

As a rather young and newly diagnosed stage 4 patient  there are a lot of thoughts going through my head about this and I would like to know your opinion on this!

My assumption is that with all the discoveries made on the level of microbiology, all the  scientific methods and tools we have it is no more than a matter of money to find a cure for most kinds of cancer.

There are written sources from thousands of years ago that describe cancer.. There is evidence of cancer researchers from at least 200 years ago. Compare how long it took to bring significant survival benefit to people infected with HIV which was discovered around 1980.

I do not want to hurt anybody's feelings who is of different opinion about the following as I am really happy to have found this community but I had to look up the following figures

US military spending 2012: 682 billion $

budget of the national cancer institute 2012:  4.8 billion $

NCI spending on melanoma research 2012: 121.2 million $

Bottom line: in 2014 we are able to hit a dime that somebody lost in Afganistan with a missile fired from an unmanned aerial vehicle which is flown by a guy who sits in California with a cup of coffee in his hands from a height of several thousand miles. 

We are unable to cure melanoma.

Q: What could mankind achieve with all the money from all countries spent on equipment to kill people? We could e.g. Try to cure people. To help ourselbes and people from poorer countries to also get treatments for deseases where pharmaceutical companies do not see big business. Etc., etc, etc

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kim K
        Participant

Yup, I hear you on that.

Then again, think of the millions who are starved, tortured, the abuses inflicted upon women and children, or people run out of their countries by megalomaniac dictators ex. N. Korea, by some cultures, some of the African nations etc.  People affected by melanoma?  Not so much.  You almost have to look at it as cost per person affected.  If that crazy Putin and Kim Jung Il wish to blow us up then we won't have to worry about mel since we would all be extinguished.  Militaries are a sad but necessary evil because humans aren't always benevolent and respectful to each other.

Military technology also spills over into medicine ex. Davinci surgical robots, software and computer power to irradiate a moving target – thinking of Alan Carr who had radiosurgery to his heart and aorta to remove melanoma.  This wasn't even concieveable 15 years ago.  Thank military spending on tracking systems for that – the dime in the desert.  I am not being sarcastic, but perhaps that might make the bitter pill a little easier to swallow.

Yes, more $$ needs to go into melanoma research and treatment.  Fortunately I have been around long enough to see what it was like before all these great drugs came into being.  I also get "pink fatiuge".  Not everyone in this world gets breast cancer, but you wouldn't know it now would you……

The other problem I have is when "people" say they have the cure for cancer but Big Pharma doesn't want us to know.  Yeah right!  They get cancer as well and is a motivator for many who are in that industry.

Mother nature is very very powerful and the ability for cancer cells to invent new ways of beating our discoveries never ceases to amaze me.  It is always one step ahead of us, you gotta respect that.  Cancer is far more complex and ever changing, therefore while treatments will continue to evolve and hopefully become more effective with minimal side effects, the best we can hope for is to make it a chronic disease that we just "live" with instead of die from.

Again, it is very rare to find a cure, let alone for "all" cancers.  Even HIV patients live with lifelong meds to stay healthy.  Over time though, even those drugs can and do lose effectiveness.  Hopefully we die from old age before then, but not all patients are that lucky on that front either.

IMHO – when I leave this Earth I will ask that any monies go to the MRF or melanoma research rather than the bloated American Cancer Society with wasteful spending and appears to me to be a money making machine.  Yes they do good work, but really when you look at thier spending, I can't give my money to them.  That is REALLY the spending crime here.

The worst is HSUS – Humane Society for the U.S.  Less than 1% of funds go directly to help animals.  I think they got better after scrutiny but are still only around 2%.  They are also a front for PETA, ALF, and the animal defense leauge (sp?).  Militant animal rights groups that are off their rocker.  They are against ANY and ALL research involving animals.  Again, anti-cancer research…..

On a happy note, we have made great strides in understanding mel.  The spillover will impact immune studies and treatment for other cancers as well.  Melanoma has amazingly become the "hot, sexy" cancer to do researach in.  The money has also started to flow to those amazing researchers, and melanoma research is no longer considered a dead end for a career.  Have hope.  I am a survivor here because of the others who came before me.

Kim K
          Participant

Yup, I hear you on that.

Then again, think of the millions who are starved, tortured, the abuses inflicted upon women and children, or people run out of their countries by megalomaniac dictators ex. N. Korea, by some cultures, some of the African nations etc.  People affected by melanoma?  Not so much.  You almost have to look at it as cost per person affected.  If that crazy Putin and Kim Jung Il wish to blow us up then we won't have to worry about mel since we would all be extinguished.  Militaries are a sad but necessary evil because humans aren't always benevolent and respectful to each other.

Military technology also spills over into medicine ex. Davinci surgical robots, software and computer power to irradiate a moving target – thinking of Alan Carr who had radiosurgery to his heart and aorta to remove melanoma.  This wasn't even concieveable 15 years ago.  Thank military spending on tracking systems for that – the dime in the desert.  I am not being sarcastic, but perhaps that might make the bitter pill a little easier to swallow.

Yes, more $$ needs to go into melanoma research and treatment.  Fortunately I have been around long enough to see what it was like before all these great drugs came into being.  I also get "pink fatiuge".  Not everyone in this world gets breast cancer, but you wouldn't know it now would you……

The other problem I have is when "people" say they have the cure for cancer but Big Pharma doesn't want us to know.  Yeah right!  They get cancer as well and is a motivator for many who are in that industry.

Mother nature is very very powerful and the ability for cancer cells to invent new ways of beating our discoveries never ceases to amaze me.  It is always one step ahead of us, you gotta respect that.  Cancer is far more complex and ever changing, therefore while treatments will continue to evolve and hopefully become more effective with minimal side effects, the best we can hope for is to make it a chronic disease that we just "live" with instead of die from.

Again, it is very rare to find a cure, let alone for "all" cancers.  Even HIV patients live with lifelong meds to stay healthy.  Over time though, even those drugs can and do lose effectiveness.  Hopefully we die from old age before then, but not all patients are that lucky on that front either.

IMHO – when I leave this Earth I will ask that any monies go to the MRF or melanoma research rather than the bloated American Cancer Society with wasteful spending and appears to me to be a money making machine.  Yes they do good work, but really when you look at thier spending, I can't give my money to them.  That is REALLY the spending crime here.

The worst is HSUS – Humane Society for the U.S.  Less than 1% of funds go directly to help animals.  I think they got better after scrutiny but are still only around 2%.  They are also a front for PETA, ALF, and the animal defense leauge (sp?).  Militant animal rights groups that are off their rocker.  They are against ANY and ALL research involving animals.  Again, anti-cancer research…..

On a happy note, we have made great strides in understanding mel.  The spillover will impact immune studies and treatment for other cancers as well.  Melanoma has amazingly become the "hot, sexy" cancer to do researach in.  The money has also started to flow to those amazing researchers, and melanoma research is no longer considered a dead end for a career.  Have hope.  I am a survivor here because of the others who came before me.

Kim K
            Participant

Yup, I hear you on that.

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics