The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Some questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Some questions

Participant

Just had a chest x -ray which came out clear but while waiting for the results my brain started going into overdrive. Is there a place where I can find the survival rates of people that have nodular melanoma only? If my lesion started as a open ulcer and then closed up could this be construed as an ulcerated lesion? The biopsy results said that it wasn't ulcerated. How do they determine an ulcerated lesion? My doctors secretary said it was done microscopically.

Just had a chest x -ray which came out clear but while waiting for the results my brain started going into overdrive. Is there a place where I can find the survival rates of people that have nodular melanoma only? If my lesion started as a open ulcer and then closed up could this be construed as an ulcerated lesion? The biopsy results said that it wasn't ulcerated. How do they determine an ulcerated lesion? My doctors secretary said it was done microscopically. ( I been trying to connect with my doctor but we're playing phone tag )  Can anyone point me to a website for a diet for this disease?

My SNB came back clear in May of 2011 has anyone had the disease progress to other parts of the body with a clear SNB? Just give me the truth and I'll deal with it.

Thanks in advance

Gtown

Nodular Melanoma 1.9 mm on shoulder diagnosed 4/ 2011  Taken out at U of P hospital 5/2011

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Ulceration has to be determined by the pathologist.  They look to see whether the epidermis is in tact at a microscopic level.  Ulcerated lesions may have open sores, but that doesn't mean any lesion with a sore was ulcerated.  The pathology report has to tell you, not just plain observation.

There are not really separate statistics for nodular melanoma.  Survival stats are basically the same for each type of melanoma once diagnosed.  Nodular melanoma tends to grow faster at the start and is often diagnosed later than other types.  But that doesn't mean it has a prognosis that is different from the other types of melanoma that are the same depth.

The SNB is a good indication of the disease state at that time.  It is a diagnostic and staging tool only, however, and is not a guarantee that you won't have future spread.  However, having a negative SNB is where you want to be and does give you better odds.

As for diet, no diet has been proven to help prevent a melanoma recurrence.  However, many here choose to change their diet as a way to feel more control over their health.  If you do a search here, you'll find many postings on the subject in the past.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Ulceration has to be determined by the pathologist.  They look to see whether the epidermis is in tact at a microscopic level.  Ulcerated lesions may have open sores, but that doesn't mean any lesion with a sore was ulcerated.  The pathology report has to tell you, not just plain observation.

There are not really separate statistics for nodular melanoma.  Survival stats are basically the same for each type of melanoma once diagnosed.  Nodular melanoma tends to grow faster at the start and is often diagnosed later than other types.  But that doesn't mean it has a prognosis that is different from the other types of melanoma that are the same depth.

The SNB is a good indication of the disease state at that time.  It is a diagnostic and staging tool only, however, and is not a guarantee that you won't have future spread.  However, having a negative SNB is where you want to be and does give you better odds.

As for diet, no diet has been proven to help prevent a melanoma recurrence.  However, many here choose to change their diet as a way to feel more control over their health.  If you do a search here, you'll find many postings on the subject in the past.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Ann from Iowa
              Participant

My husband's nodular melanoma on his left forearm  was diagnosed in April, 2008 and was 3.4 mm  Breslow depth.  He had the wide excision and SNB which came back clear so had no further treatment at that time.  18 months later they found a 5cm lymph node under arm which was melanoma and it had extra capsular extension.  He had 5 high doses radiation and 32 nodes removed.  Then he did a year leukine treatments and has been NED since.  Other than having lymphedema in that arm he is just fine.  He will be going for another check-up with his oncologist at the end of March but was told no more scans unless he has symptoms that would show up. 

Each person is different so you just cannot go by anyones progression.  At first we were scared to death but as time has gone by it has gotten easier.  Why the SLB came back negative at first and then showed up in that area 18 months later is anyones guess and one we just dealt with.  Hopefully this is the end of his journey with melanoma.  Mainly now he is just vigilant about checking his skin and lymph node areas.    Try not to worry but it is much easier to say than do.  If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Ann from Iowa
                Participant

My husband's nodular melanoma on his left forearm  was diagnosed in April, 2008 and was 3.4 mm  Breslow depth.  He had the wide excision and SNB which came back clear so had no further treatment at that time.  18 months later they found a 5cm lymph node under arm which was melanoma and it had extra capsular extension.  He had 5 high doses radiation and 32 nodes removed.  Then he did a year leukine treatments and has been NED since.  Other than having lymphedema in that arm he is just fine.  He will be going for another check-up with his oncologist at the end of March but was told no more scans unless he has symptoms that would show up. 

Each person is different so you just cannot go by anyones progression.  At first we were scared to death but as time has gone by it has gotten easier.  Why the SLB came back negative at first and then showed up in that area 18 months later is anyones guess and one we just dealt with.  Hopefully this is the end of his journey with melanoma.  Mainly now he is just vigilant about checking his skin and lymph node areas.    Try not to worry but it is much easier to say than do.  If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Ann from Iowa
                  Participant

gtown
                    Participant

Thank you both for responding, but isn't there a statistic concerning negative SNB and the recurrance of melanoma at a later time? If there isn't that info available, it should be. It would just be a matter of collecting data. Am I missing something? 

lhaley
                        Participant

The SNB tells you a picture at that particular time.  The cells might not have gotten to the node yet.  They don't all travel at the same time!   My primary was in 79.  REcurrances started in 06 and didn't get to the first node till 10'!  Those nodes were not in the same basin!    Melanoma does what it wants and relying on status just give the entire picture. 

8% of melanoma goes through the blood line and doesn't touch the nodes. 

Enjoy each day

Linda

lhaley
                          Participant

The SNB tells you a picture at that particular time.  The cells might not have gotten to the node yet.  They don't all travel at the same time!   My primary was in 79.  REcurrances started in 06 and didn't get to the first node till 10'!  Those nodes were not in the same basin!    Melanoma does what it wants and relying on status just give the entire picture. 

Enjoy each day

Linda

lhaley
                            Participant

Enjoy each day

Linda

gtown
                            Participant

Thank you both for responding, but isn't there a statistic concerning negative SNB and the recurrance of melanoma at a later time? If there isn't that info available, it should be. It would just be a matter of collecting data. Am I missing something? 

gtown
                              Participant

MikeChris
                                Participant
                                  Hi,
                                  It’s been a year since this was posted but I have an awesome diet suggestion for you if you are still interested.

Chris

MikeChris
                                  Participant
                                    Hi,
                                    It’s been a year since this was posted but I have an awesome diet suggestion for you if you are still interested.

Chris

MikeChris
                                    Participant
                                      Hi,

Chris

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics