The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Some Great Information

Forums General Melanoma Community Some Great Information

Participant
      Hello Again,
      Just found out some very helpful information.
      First if all the American Cancer Society offers some great programs for assistance. Wigs, support groups, mileage reimbursements for anything to do with your cancer, and lodging. The number I have to call is for Calif but she said they help nationwide 1-800-395-look.
      Also there’s the Lazarex Cancer Foundation that helps stage IV patients in clinical trials with lodging, gas, airfare, etc. This is great for those of us who need to travel for trials. You wouldn’t be limited to what trials you could do. I don’t know all the details but their website is Lazarex.org and their number is 877-866-9523. Hope this can help someone.
      Denise
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Thank you so much Denise.

I get assistance from the American Cancer Society for mileage (.14 per mile) to get treatment. I am  a stage 4 melaonma patient and travel 130 round trip per doctors visit. I see my doctors at least once of month for treatment.

The American Cancer Society maximum allowed per patient is $300. per year for mileage reimbursement. This does not even make a dent in the cost of gas in CA..

Do anyone  know if Lazarex Cancer Foundation will subsidize the difference in cost for mileage  from the American Cancer Society??

I live in CA. Would you please post the CA number for me.

DeniseK
            Participant
              Are you in a clinical trial? If so call the above number, I think lazarex is for clincal trial help, not sure though, give them a call maybe they know of something else. ๐Ÿ™‚
              DeniseK
              Participant
                Are you in a clinical trial? If so call the above number, I think lazarex is for clincal trial help, not sure though, give them a call maybe they know of something else. ๐Ÿ™‚
                DeniseK
                Participant
                killmel
                Participant

I get assistance from the American Cancer Society for mileage (.14 per mile) to get treatment. I am  a stage 4 melaonma patient and travel 130 round trip per doctors visit. I see my doctors at least once of month for treatment.

The American Cancer Society maximum allowed per patient is $300. per year for mileage reimbursement. This does not even make a dent in the cost of gas in CA..

Do anyone  know if Lazarex Cancer Foundation will subsidize the difference in cost for mileage  from the American Cancer Society??

killmel
                  Participant

bikerwife
                    Participant

The American Cancer Society gave me a 50 gas card and they assured me it was a one time fee and they could offer me nothing else. My husband is stage 5 and we travel 105 miles one way. 

DeniseK
                        Participant
                          The lady told me today that they would even go back the last 30 days for reimbursement for gas. She said to keep all records of any fuel used for treatment or anything associated with my cancer. Maybe try calling the number and asking them in your state, you would think it would be the same state to state. $50 hardly helps, in my jeep thats one tank full.
                          killmel
                          Participant

Hi Denise,

Thank you so much for posting Lazarex info. I live in CA. and also in a clinical trial. I called the lady at Lazarex & I have to complete a form so that a decision will be made to help me with my costs.

Did you have to complete a form? How long did it take for a decision to be made to help you or not help you. How did you find out what the decision was??? What did Lazarex agree to help you with?/

Denise, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. The lady did not tell me much over the phone.

Betty

killmel
                            Participant

Hi Denise,

Thank you so much for posting Lazarex info. I live in CA. and also in a clinical trial. I called the lady at Lazarex & I have to complete a form so that a decision will be made to help me with my costs.

Did you have to complete a form? How long did it take for a decision to be made to help you or not help you. How did you find out what the decision was??? What did Lazarex agree to help you with?/

Denise, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. The lady did not tell me much over the phone.

Betty

killmel
                              Participant

Hi Denise,

Betty

DeniseK
                                Participant
                                  The lady told me today that they would even go back the last 30 days for reimbursement for gas. She said to keep all records of any fuel used for treatment or anything associated with my cancer. Maybe try calling the number and asking them in your state, you would think it would be the same state to state. $50 hardly helps, in my jeep thats one tank full.
                                  DeniseK
                                  Participant
                                  bikerwife
                                  Participant

The American Cancer Society gave me a 50 gas card and they assured me it was a one time fee and they could offer me nothing else. My husband is stage 5 and we travel 105 miles one way. 

bikerwife
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics