The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Some Comfort?

Forums General Melanoma Community Some Comfort?

Participant
      Apologies in advance for the long post and, Administrators, if this isn’t allowed, please let me know or simply delete it. Thank you.

A number of years ago, my husband Tome bought me a beautiful scarf. Being the romantic that he is, he said “whenever you wear it, know that I love you”. Yes it’s sappy, but I like it . While I was fighting stage 3 melanoma, I wore that scarf to every infusion and I always smiled a little whenever I put it on.

Last September I was diagnosed stage 4 melanoma (lungs) and started Keytruda infusions whilst, once again, wearing my scarf. I started thinking about everyone else going through cancer treatments and came up with the idea of making beautiful scarves for them to wear. Well, one thought lead to another and I realized that you don’t have to be fighting cancer to need a little pick-me-up or to know that someone cares about you.

After lots of thinking, I finally started knitting my Inspirational Infinity Scarves.

Each scarf comes with a tag that says, “When you wear your Inspirational Infinity Scarf, feel the support, compassion and love that you deserve, and know that someone cares.” On the reverse is printed, “You are Strong, Brave, Loved, Amazing, Wonderful, Beautiful, Awesome, Inspiring”. Or, if you prefer, the reverse can be customized with your own special message.

I wish I could upload a picture here to show you what they look like but I don’t think that’s possible. So, if anyone is interested in taking a look at these scarves, they are at antartdesigns.weebly.com.

One thing I love about making these scarves is the response of the recipients. Their reactions make me feel as if I’m actually doing something worthwhile instead of just sitting around just trying to conserve my sparse energy. At the end of the day, even though melanoma sucks, and being stage 4 REALLY sucks, I feel good!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics