The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Social Security Disability

Forums General Melanoma Community Social Security Disability

Participant

Hi,

I would appreciate any information about qualifying for SSDI in California?

I have been stage 3c since 2009. As of September 19, 2011, I am now Stage 4 with mets on lung, suq in leg & chest.

Now that I am stage 4, do you automaticallly qualify for SSDI once my doctors complete the paperwork confirmating my diagnosis of Stage 4??

I had surgery on my leg, in June 2011, and have been recuperating. At the time ofthe surgery, I was stage 3, then on Sept 19, 2011, my scans indicated progession to stage 4.

Hi,

I would appreciate any information about qualifying for SSDI in California?

I have been stage 3c since 2009. As of September 19, 2011, I am now Stage 4 with mets on lung, suq in leg & chest.

Now that I am stage 4, do you automaticallly qualify for SSDI once my doctors complete the paperwork confirmating my diagnosis of Stage 4??

I had surgery on my leg, in June 2011, and have been recuperating. At the time ofthe surgery, I was stage 3, then on Sept 19, 2011, my scans indicated progession to stage 4.

What would the effective date be that I could qualify for SSDI? How long does it take to get SSDI??

Thank you for replying to my post.

Betty

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tim–MRF

Betty:

If you call our toll-free patient support line I think they can help you.  It is staffed by oncology social workers and about 75% of the calls they get relate to insurance, disability, payments, etc.

The number is 1-877-673-6460

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Betty:

If you call our toll-free patient support line I think they can help you.  It is staffed by oncology social workers and about 75% of the calls they get relate to insurance, disability, payments, etc.

The number is 1-877-673-6460

Tim–MRF

momof2kids
            Participant

Not sure if this info helps or not.

I'm 31 and just got diagnosed Stage IV Metastatic right off the bat, no prior problems, etc , spots in lung, liver & brain.

I just had Disability approved for me, I'm in Pennsylvania (only to get me approved for Medicaid as my 2nd insurance).  The doctor & I filled out the paperwork and delivered it and within a few days we were approved.  We don't get any $$ from them like a check or anything, just insurance coverage, which they went back and covered all my hospital/doctor bills for the 3 weeks I was uninsured til my husband's insurance started.   Bills over $400,000 I owed, now they have taken care of!  I'm just so thankful with the costs of all these visits, I'm just so happy myself & my family don't have to deal with that.

momof2kids
              Participant

Not sure if this info helps or not.

I'm 31 and just got diagnosed Stage IV Metastatic right off the bat, no prior problems, etc , spots in lung, liver & brain.

I just had Disability approved for me, I'm in Pennsylvania (only to get me approved for Medicaid as my 2nd insurance).  The doctor & I filled out the paperwork and delivered it and within a few days we were approved.  We don't get any $$ from them like a check or anything, just insurance coverage, which they went back and covered all my hospital/doctor bills for the 3 weeks I was uninsured til my husband's insurance started.   Bills over $400,000 I owed, now they have taken care of!  I'm just so thankful with the costs of all these visits, I'm just so happy myself & my family don't have to deal with that.

mombase
                Participant

Hi Betty,

I have also applied for SSDI and live in California. SSA is a HUGE machine and it takes a long time to start moving and a long time to turn around if a mistake is made. I decided to hire a social security attorney to do all of the paperwork and follow the case. It costs 25% of whatever the back payment is, and after hearing MANY horror stories from friends who were denied to on some inaccuracy, I thought it would be worth it.

Here is the link to the list of illnesses that qualify for SSDI – melanoma falls under 13.03.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/13.00-NeoplasticDiseases-Malignant-Adult.htm

Good luck to you!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                  Participant

Hi Betty,

I have also applied for SSDI and live in California. SSA is a HUGE machine and it takes a long time to start moving and a long time to turn around if a mistake is made. I decided to hire a social security attorney to do all of the paperwork and follow the case. It costs 25% of whatever the back payment is, and after hearing MANY horror stories from friends who were denied to on some inaccuracy, I thought it would be worth it.

Here is the link to the list of illnesses that qualify for SSDI – melanoma falls under 13.03.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/13.00-NeoplasticDiseases-Malignant-Adult.htm

Good luck to you!

Cristy, Stage IV

lhaley
                    Participant

I applied online for SSDI. Midway through the paperwork I was hesitant and had only sent in the first part. They called me and said that they needed my paperwork ASAP.  They contact your Doctors and gather the documents from the info you give.  Within 11 days I was notified that I could get the SSDI but wouldn't receive a check till 6 months from original recurrance.  Once I received the SSDI it then took 2 years to receive Medicare. I still had my insurance so was not in need of Medicaid.

lhaley
                      Participant

I applied online for SSDI. Midway through the paperwork I was hesitant and had only sent in the first part. They called me and said that they needed my paperwork ASAP.  They contact your Doctors and gather the documents from the info you give.  Within 11 days I was notified that I could get the SSDI but wouldn't receive a check till 6 months from original recurrance.  Once I received the SSDI it then took 2 years to receive Medicare. I still had my insurance so was not in need of Medicaid.

Charlie S
                        Participant

SSDI is a federal program, but the disability determination process is often handed off to individual State agencies.  

However, irrespective of the state, two things are needed to qualify:

1) Enough work credits to qualify………..and here is the SSA link that explains work credits http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/credits3.htm 

2) A qualifying disability, which Stage IV Melanoma is……………and here is the SSA link that defines that http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/13.00-NeoplasticDiseases-Malignant-Adult.htm#13_03.

Your date of disability would be Sept 18, 2011. Sometimes, SS will, at that six month period backdate your benefits to the date of your disability; in which case you would receive those six months of retroactive benefits. but not always.

This is an important element where a SSDI lawyer would help you.  IF the six month retroactive benefits is not a big issue, you should be able to move your application through smoothly.

There is a six month waiting period, and if approved, at that time, you will begin to receive cash benefits.

If you have any children under the age of 18, there may be a monthly benefit amount for each of them as well.

You will be eliglble for Medicare Part A&B 24 months after your date of disability.

Additionally; and this DOES vary widely state to state, due to your disability and income, you MAY qualify for Medicaid, which COULD kick in and give you full medical coverage within 60 days.  I emphasize, COULD because Medicaid is very individual depending on your State.

Now for the caveats:  If you are now working and plan on continuing to do so, even if it is part time………………..forget SSDI.  You MUST be unable to work.  Period.

I am not a lawyer, but after going through the application process, award and several CDR's (continuing disability review) am not unfamiliar with the SSDI process.  At Stage IV and not working,, your application (mostly done over the phone) should be a no brainer.

So, fiour things:

1) If you are working, decide if you are going to continue to do so.

2) Tell your doctor you are going to file for disability and ask for the direction/asistance  from either their social worker or patient advoate.

3) Call your local SS office and request a benefit statement to make sure you have the work credits.

4) Decide if you want to handle this yourself of engage an SS attorney.  A SS Attorney will require no money from you whatsoever…………..their fee is paid out of any initial benefit you receive and is capped by law at 25% or do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Charlie S

MARTERWAG
                            Participant

Hello –

I am a Disability Analyst for the Disability Determination Services (DDS) in ND.  Each state has their own DDS, but we all follow the same Social Security guidelines.  Just to clarify a couple of things…. Yes, if you have stage 4 melanoma, you do qualify.  The listing states:

13.03 Skin.

A. Sarcoma or carcinoma with metastases to or beyond the regional lymph nodes.

OR

B. Melanoma, as described in 1 or 2:

1. Recurrent after wide excision (except an additional primary melanoma at a different site, which is not considered to be recurrent disease).

2.With metastases as described in a, b, or c:

a. Metastases to one or more clinically apparent nodes; that is, nodes that are detected by imaging studies (excluding lymphoscintigraphy) or by clinical examination.

b. If the nodes are not clinically apparent, with metastases to four or more nodes.

c. Metastases to adjacent skin (satellite lesions) or distant sites.

Next, the waiting period for a Title II SSDI claim is 5 months, not 6 as stated above.  The waiting period begins with your onset date, not the date your claim is approved.  For example if you were diagnosed as stage 4 in February 2011 but did not apply for benefits until August 2011 and your claim was approved in September, your onset would be February and therefore your payments would begin in September.  With Title XVI SSI claims there is no waiting period, your payments can only begin as of the month you applied.  Using the same example as above, your payments would include back pay for August since that is the month you applied.  The SSA Office decides which programs you are eligible for based on your past work credits for SSDI and based on your assets for SSI claims.

Lastly, if you are receiving SSI/SSDI payments you ARE allowed to work.  However, you may not have gross income exceeding $1000 per month or you do become disqualified. 

Getting a lawer is not required and doesn't give your claim any greater priority than another.  With a stage 4 diagnosis, it is a pretty clear cut claim, so why give 25% of your backpay to a lawyer?  If you can obtain a copy of your path report or a letter from your doctor prior to applying, that would be helpful.

I'd be happy to try to answer any other questions anyone has.  My dad has Melanoma, which is why Iurk around here 🙂

Wishing you all the best.

MariaH
                              Participant

Thank you so much for replying to this thread.  My husband was diagnosed Stage III in September 08 (3 positive nodes) and advanced to Stage IV in June of this year.  He recently did IL-2, and had a rare side effect – swelling of the optic nerve, which has rendered him blind for the time being.  He started a dose of prednisone hoping that it will help, but they are not sure if the damage is reversible.  If it isn't, we will have to go the route of SSDI.

I do have one question – can you explain the differences between titles?  I see you have noted "Title II" and "Title XVI".  What is the difference?

MARTERWAG
                                Participant

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes. (this is Title II)

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) pays benefits based on financial need. (this is Title XVI)

Basically SSDI (Title II) is based on your past work history.  When you are working and paying Social Security taxes you earn 'credits' to keep your insured status.  The payments you would be paid are based on how much you earned/paid into Social Security while you were working.  For people who had high paying jobs, this could mean payments of a few/several thousand dollars per month (again, based on your work/payment history).

SSI (Title XVI) is a needs based program.  Any US citizen can apply for these beneifts.  You may not exceed the asset limitations to qualify (somewhat like Medicade limits).  Everyone who is approved for SSI payments receives the same amount per month, which I believe right now is around $675.  SSI is not based on past work.  For example, if you were a stay at home mom who had never worked a job which paid into Social Security, you could still qualify for SSI if you became disabled because you are a US citizen.

I hope that helps.

MARTERWAG
                                  Participant

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes. (this is Title II)

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) pays benefits based on financial need. (this is Title XVI)

Basically SSDI (Title II) is based on your past work history.  When you are working and paying Social Security taxes you earn 'credits' to keep your insured status.  The payments you would be paid are based on how much you earned/paid into Social Security while you were working.  For people who had high paying jobs, this could mean payments of a few/several thousand dollars per month (again, based on your work/payment history).

SSI (Title XVI) is a needs based program.  Any US citizen can apply for these beneifts.  You may not exceed the asset limitations to qualify (somewhat like Medicade limits).  Everyone who is approved for SSI payments receives the same amount per month, which I believe right now is around $675.  SSI is not based on past work.  For example, if you were a stay at home mom who had never worked a job which paid into Social Security, you could still qualify for SSI if you became disabled because you are a US citizen.

I hope that helps.

MariaH
                                    Participant

Thank you so much for replying to this thread.  My husband was diagnosed Stage III in September 08 (3 positive nodes) and advanced to Stage IV in June of this year.  He recently did IL-2, and had a rare side effect – swelling of the optic nerve, which has rendered him blind for the time being.  He started a dose of prednisone hoping that it will help, but they are not sure if the damage is reversible.  If it isn't, we will have to go the route of SSDI.

I do have one question – can you explain the differences between titles?  I see you have noted "Title II" and "Title XVI".  What is the difference?

MARTERWAG
                                      Participant

Hello –

I am a Disability Analyst for the Disability Determination Services (DDS) in ND.  Each state has their own DDS, but we all follow the same Social Security guidelines.  Just to clarify a couple of things…. Yes, if you have stage 4 melanoma, you do qualify.  The listing states:

13.03 Skin.

A. Sarcoma or carcinoma with metastases to or beyond the regional lymph nodes.

OR

B. Melanoma, as described in 1 or 2:

1. Recurrent after wide excision (except an additional primary melanoma at a different site, which is not considered to be recurrent disease).

2.With metastases as described in a, b, or c:

a. Metastases to one or more clinically apparent nodes; that is, nodes that are detected by imaging studies (excluding lymphoscintigraphy) or by clinical examination.

b. If the nodes are not clinically apparent, with metastases to four or more nodes.

c. Metastases to adjacent skin (satellite lesions) or distant sites.

Next, the waiting period for a Title II SSDI claim is 5 months, not 6 as stated above.  The waiting period begins with your onset date, not the date your claim is approved.  For example if you were diagnosed as stage 4 in February 2011 but did not apply for benefits until August 2011 and your claim was approved in September, your onset would be February and therefore your payments would begin in September.  With Title XVI SSI claims there is no waiting period, your payments can only begin as of the month you applied.  Using the same example as above, your payments would include back pay for August since that is the month you applied.  The SSA Office decides which programs you are eligible for based on your past work credits for SSDI and based on your assets for SSI claims.

Lastly, if you are receiving SSI/SSDI payments you ARE allowed to work.  However, you may not have gross income exceeding $1000 per month or you do become disqualified. 

Getting a lawer is not required and doesn't give your claim any greater priority than another.  With a stage 4 diagnosis, it is a pretty clear cut claim, so why give 25% of your backpay to a lawyer?  If you can obtain a copy of your path report or a letter from your doctor prior to applying, that would be helpful.

I'd be happy to try to answer any other questions anyone has.  My dad has Melanoma, which is why Iurk around here 🙂

Wishing you all the best.

Charlie S
                                      Participant

SSDI is a federal program, but the disability determination process is often handed off to individual State agencies.  

However, irrespective of the state, two things are needed to qualify:

1) Enough work credits to qualify………..and here is the SSA link that explains work credits http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/credits3.htm 

2) A qualifying disability, which Stage IV Melanoma is……………and here is the SSA link that defines that http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/13.00-NeoplasticDiseases-Malignant-Adult.htm#13_03.

Your date of disability would be Sept 18, 2011. Sometimes, SS will, at that six month period backdate your benefits to the date of your disability; in which case you would receive those six months of retroactive benefits. but not always.

This is an important element where a SSDI lawyer would help you.  IF the six month retroactive benefits is not a big issue, you should be able to move your application through smoothly.

There is a six month waiting period, and if approved, at that time, you will begin to receive cash benefits.

If you have any children under the age of 18, there may be a monthly benefit amount for each of them as well.

You will be eliglble for Medicare Part A&B 24 months after your date of disability.

Additionally; and this DOES vary widely state to state, due to your disability and income, you MAY qualify for Medicaid, which COULD kick in and give you full medical coverage within 60 days.  I emphasize, COULD because Medicaid is very individual depending on your State.

Now for the caveats:  If you are now working and plan on continuing to do so, even if it is part time………………..forget SSDI.  You MUST be unable to work.  Period.

I am not a lawyer, but after going through the application process, award and several CDR's (continuing disability review) am not unfamiliar with the SSDI process.  At Stage IV and not working,, your application (mostly done over the phone) should be a no brainer.

So, fiour things:

1) If you are working, decide if you are going to continue to do so.

2) Tell your doctor you are going to file for disability and ask for the direction/asistance  from either their social worker or patient advoate.

3) Call your local SS office and request a benefit statement to make sure you have the work credits.

4) Decide if you want to handle this yourself of engage an SS attorney.  A SS Attorney will require no money from you whatsoever…………..their fee is paid out of any initial benefit you receive and is capped by law at 25% or do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Charlie S

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics