The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

So, the chickens have come home to roost…

Forums General Melanoma Community So, the chickens have come home to roost…

Participant

Instead of NEXT YEAR my son is getting married….this fall.  Shopping for bride's wedding dress – fun. Shopping for Mother of Bride and Mother of Groom dresses…not so much.

#1. I don't mind the colors they say I can't wear –whatever the bride hates, the wedding party is wearing or her Mother, if it clashes with color scheme : fall colors- I'm cool toned skin/hair… NOT warm/fall, but  fine fine. No black…even though I feel…well, never mind- fine fine.

Instead of NEXT YEAR my son is getting married….this fall.  Shopping for bride's wedding dress – fun. Shopping for Mother of Bride and Mother of Groom dresses…not so much.

#1. I don't mind the colors they say I can't wear –whatever the bride hates, the wedding party is wearing or her Mother, if it clashes with color scheme : fall colors- I'm cool toned skin/hair… NOT warm/fall, but  fine fine. No black…even though I feel…well, never mind- fine fine.

#2. I don't mind the length they feel the MOG should wear…whatever, I will do any but trashy micro mini.

#3. I don't mind taking the the general 'style' of the wedding into consideration ( Fal lcolors, sit down, jazz band- 3 attendants each)

# 4. I don't mind – I prefer that my dress be understated.

What I DO mind…

Suggestions that I wear THIS or THAT because the MOB isn't too thrilled I'm younger, smaller and able to show my legs, neck, arms, waist, elbows wrists, ankles, feet ( face?!?!!?).

Suggestions that I wear a LONG, long-sleeved beaded coat over suggested type dress( which is  baggy) .

Holy crap, scratch that…HOLY SHIT.

I HAVE A TERRIBLE HEADACHE and my heart is pounding— I will be wearing a taupe burka, I just know it 🙁  On the up side, my daughter's brides maid dress is lovely…a pretty, understated, 50's style, satin, spaghetti strap, burgundy tea length with a  set in waist. The Maid of Honor and the other bridesmaid's dresses will be the same but strapless . Lovely.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

well.. Congratulations! I guess…

I am positive you'll find a way to look sensational!

dian

TinaR
            Participant

Thanks. I've just spent hours reading wedding websites. I will wear beige and shut the hell up ( but it will be plain, fitted and just above the knee). I will blend into the background and smile- and I may  take up drinking.  

Bonnie Lea
            Participant

Oh Rox  my oh my.  Just think though when your own daughter gets married, you will be the MOB and you can dictate fashion sense to the MOG (unless they elope)

I think you will look utterly fab-u-lus even if you where a beige burka, but you could, you know, wear a saffire blue one, complete with face veil…and still pull off better looking than what sounds like a fuddy duddy MOB and attentents.

the beaded coat you describe, sounds QUITE LIKE our Queen's mother back in the day.    The Queen Mum always was striking but yes wore beaded mid leg length beaded coats but always only on days when it was not sunny.  You should turn up wearing the correct colour but with those 'balloon type' bottoms in fashionable regular length knee height….with your boozums heaving and having cleavage!

Or else just follow suit and be demure, and as soon as you go  home, change.   P.S.  any copies of photos you are given with yourself included…. PHOTOSHOP what you want!  you have my permission.cool

jag
                Participant

so how many months until we can start calling you Grandma?

TinaR
                  Participant

Don't worry, John, I'm on it. They say no, but I'll be watching that waistline. In fact– she often works double shifts ( she's a nurse) she visits and falls asleep on the couch in the family room. I'm going to do that Needle Gender trick…if she's pregnant it will let me know- yes or no AND boy or girl !

I'm also going to watch the pickle jar. I have my ways- IF I can sniff out a Fudd — surely I can find a grandchild. You doubt me? ( Oh, and I prefer Nan. Leave off the a ).

jag
                    Participant

If it's a boy, name him Elmer.

TinaR
                      Participant

Hmmmm, Photoshop…I might just do this to the entire wedding party…Thanks for the excellent idea, Bonnie!!! 

Kimmer
                      Participant

No matter the ensemble you are stuck with wearing, I think a snazzy pair of very chic shoes would be the best revenge.  Well, that would work if your dress is at least tea length. 

I dunno, but Ann Taylor has a color, espresso, I think it is that would be very pretty for a fall wedding.  Even with a beaded (gasp) coat over it.  NOT black but understated and to the point of getting your point across.

It does sound like you are having some fun with this.  Good luck!

Take good care, K.

Nad T
                        Participant

Hi.  John Riggins is related to me.  Just wear a mini.  Under the table it doesn't matter.

God Bye Magic.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics