The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

So hard to remain hopeful-Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community So hard to remain hopeful-Yervoy

Participant

My father is going to get his third dose of Yervoy next Monday and so far it is so hard to remain hopeful this will work for him.  He has had side effects, some diarrhea, rash, chills, and major itchiness.  One of the reasons that it is so hard to maintain hope is because his lesions are cuteaneous, they are on his skin and we can see them.  Since starting Yervoy, he had a couple of lesions have dried up and fallen off but so far, they seem to multiply and get bigger every day.  They are also starting to move up his upper thigh area.  His leg is imfla

My father is going to get his third dose of Yervoy next Monday and so far it is so hard to remain hopeful this will work for him.  He has had side effects, some diarrhea, rash, chills, and major itchiness.  One of the reasons that it is so hard to maintain hope is because his lesions are cuteaneous, they are on his skin and we can see them.  Since starting Yervoy, he had a couple of lesions have dried up and fallen off but so far, they seem to multiply and get bigger every day.  They are also starting to move up his upper thigh area.  His leg is imflammed and swollen.  His oncologist warned us that while on the med, his lesions could get worse before they get better but it is so hard to have hope when all we see are lesions getting worse. My father gets depressed because he sees them getting worse.  Sometimes, I wish they were internal instead so we dont see them until the scans.  I try to focus on his ALC #s to keep my hopes up since they have gone from 1.58 to 1.98 after his first dose. I also read and re-read Vermont Donna's postings when I am down since she had cuteaneous lesions and is a complete responder.   

Chau

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Chau,

Your father may be a responder. The cuteaneous tumors may look bigger because of the CD8+ T-cells (TILs) infiltrating the tumors. Be hopeful and wait for the scans. The Inflammation of the leg is a good sign that an Immune response is in progress.

Third dose on Monday = day 42

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YDR0RJlQYxQ/Tqm4hADeHOI/AAAAAAAAAkI/AYxLWkfoZAQ/s1600/Yervoy%2B2011.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ms06eeyU9l4/Tqm6rYpJbdI/AAAAAAAAAkU/F-bNlKOYe_4/s1600/ALC%2B2011.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lNP7L1zmnzA/Tqm7d2DNHtI/AAAAAAAAAkg/JMSo7ASqZGg/s1600/T-cell%2Bactivation%2Bby%2BIpi%2B2011.jpg

I wish you father all the best

Jimmy B

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Hi Chau,

DONT GIVE UP HOPE! I was in a clinical trial and my oncologist said that new lesions were "acceptable" til the 12th week and that was the 4th dose…and I did get new lesions for a while but then I did see that one flaked off and the others reabsorbed…and rather quickly…..so you are just going into the 3rd dose……I would say DONT DESPAIR! Give the medication time…like Jimmy B pointed out too……I am NED almost 9 months later!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED…due to IPI

cwu
              Participant

Hi Donna,

Thank you for responding.  It is so good to hear from you and your story gives me alot of hope for him.  Logically, I know it takes time for Yervoy to work but it is so hard to reconcile that to the reality that his leg is covered with lesions and they seem to grow more and bigger each day. He also had some problems with some of them breaking and bleeding because they get very dry but his doctor said it is expected and is too not concerned.  I hope that he will have a complete respond like you. Thanks again and I hope you are NED for many years to come.

Chau

cwu
                Participant

Hi Donna,

Thank you for responding.  It is so good to hear from you and your story gives me alot of hope for him.  Logically, I know it takes time for Yervoy to work but it is so hard to reconcile that to the reality that his leg is covered with lesions and they seem to grow more and bigger each day. He also had some problems with some of them breaking and bleeding because they get very dry but his doctor said it is expected and is too not concerned.  I hope that he will have a complete respond like you. Thanks again and I hope you are NED for many years to come.

Chau

cwu
                  Participant

Hi Donna,

Chau

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Hi Chau,

DONT GIVE UP HOPE! I was in a clinical trial and my oncologist said that new lesions were "acceptable" til the 12th week and that was the 4th dose…and I did get new lesions for a while but then I did see that one flaked off and the others reabsorbed…and rather quickly…..so you are just going into the 3rd dose……I would say DONT DESPAIR! Give the medication time…like Jimmy B pointed out too……I am NED almost 9 months later!

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Hi Chau,

cwu
                        Participant

Hi Jimmy B,

Thank you for responding.  I hope my dad will respond like the man in the pictures you included, that would be wonderful. In your ALC graph, it appears that some of the ALC #s are very low, below 1.0. It seems like my father is starting with good ALC # at 1.58 prior to starting Yervoy, does it mean that his immune system is fairly good to start?

Chau

cwu
                          Participant

Hi Jimmy B,

Thank you for responding.  I hope my dad will respond like the man in the pictures you included, that would be wonderful. In your ALC graph, it appears that some of the ALC #s are very low, below 1.0. It seems like my father is starting with good ALC # at 1.58 prior to starting Yervoy, does it mean that his immune system is fairly good to start?

Chau

jim Breitfeller
                            Participant

Chau,

Since we don't know what your Father's ALC was before melanoma, there is no way of telling if his immune system was trying to fight the melanoma before Yervoy therapy. The positive is that it is increasing, which means ther are more T-cells in circulation which can be activated. The more the better is the thought.

Please keep us informed

Best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                              Participant

Chau,

Since we don't know what your Father's ALC was before melanoma, there is no way of telling if his immune system was trying to fight the melanoma before Yervoy therapy. The positive is that it is increasing, which means ther are more T-cells in circulation which can be activated. The more the better is the thought.

Please keep us informed

Best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                Participant

Chau,

Please keep us informed

Best regards,

Jimmy B

cwu
                                  Participant
                                    Jimmy B,
                                    I don’t have his ALC number prior to treatment. He will get blood work done on Monday before the infusion so hopefully it goes up again. BTW, thanks for all your info., especially the picture of Yervoy beating mm, where do you get all this info.? My dad doesn’t speak or read English so sometimes it is hard to explain treatment plans, how Yervoy works and its potential. I showed him that picture and it really made him feel better and less depressed. So a big thank you for that.

Chau

cwu
                                    Participant
                                      Jimmy B,
                                      I don’t have his ALC number prior to treatment. He will get blood work done on Monday before the infusion so hopefully it goes up again. BTW, thanks for all your info., especially the picture of Yervoy beating mm, where do you get all this info.? My dad doesn’t speak or read English so sometimes it is hard to explain treatment plans, how Yervoy works and its potential. I showed him that picture and it really made him feel better and less depressed. So a big thank you for that.

Chau

cwu
                                      Participant
                                        Jimmy B,

Chau

jim Breitfeller
                                        Participant

Chau,

The picture came from Bristol Myer website a couple of years back from their confrence calls to investors.

I do have a website called Melanoma Missionary that is translatable in different languages. It had been googled from a 141 different countries and at least a thousand different universites, colleges, Biotechs and Big Pharma. Just go to the " VIEW MY STATS"  3/4 of the way down the right side of the Blog.

I wish you and your father well

Jimmy  B

jim Breitfeller
                                          Participant

Chau,

The picture came from Bristol Myer website a couple of years back from their confrence calls to investors.

I do have a website called Melanoma Missionary that is translatable in different languages. It had been googled from a 141 different countries and at least a thousand different universites, colleges, Biotechs and Big Pharma. Just go to the " VIEW MY STATS"  3/4 of the way down the right side of the Blog.

Jimmy  B

jim Breitfeller
                                            Participant

Chau,

Jimmy  B

cwu
                                              Participant
                                                Thanks Jimmy B. I will check out your website.
                                                cwu
                                                Participant
                                                  cwu
                                                  Participant
                                                    cwu
                                                    Participant

Hi Jimmy B,

Chau

jim Breitfeller
                                                    Participant

Chau,

Your father may be a responder. The cuteaneous tumors may look bigger because of the CD8+ T-cells (TILs) infiltrating the tumors. Be hopeful and wait for the scans. The Inflammation of the leg is a good sign that an Immune response is in progress.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YDR0RJlQYxQ/Tqm4hADeHOI/AAAAAAAAAkI/AYxLWkfoZAQ/s1600/Yervoy%2B2011.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ms06eeyU9l4/Tqm6rYpJbdI/AAAAAAAAAkU/F-bNlKOYe_4/s1600/ALC%2B2011.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lNP7L1zmnzA/Tqm7d2DNHtI/AAAAAAAAAkg/JMSo7ASqZGg/s1600/T-cell%2Bactivation%2Bby%2BIpi%2B2011.jpg

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                                      Participant

Chau,

Jimmy B

Gene_S
                                                        Participant

Hello Chau,

Since your father's melanoma is external, I would suggest that a proper food diet may help him!!!

In the movie "Dirt" they actually show that external melanoma can be cured by eating wisely!

See if you can obtain a copy of the movie or send me your address and I will mail you my copy

of the movie.  Send me an email at [email protected]  for some other thoughts, please

put melanoma in the subject.

Best Wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                          Participant

Hello Chau,

Since your father's melanoma is external, I would suggest that a proper food diet may help him!!!

In the movie "Dirt" they actually show that external melanoma can be cured by eating wisely!

See if you can obtain a copy of the movie or send me your address and I will mail you my copy

of the movie.  Send me an email at [email protected]  for some other thoughts, please

Best Wishes,

Gene

cwu
                                                              Participant
                                                                Gene,

Thanks, I have Netflix so I will see if they have it and check it out. I think dad has a fairly good diet, he eats lots of veggies and fruits and is cutting down on his red meat.
                                                                Thanks, Chau

cwu
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Gene,

Thanks, I have Netflix so I will see if they have it and check it out. I think dad has a fairly good diet, he eats lots of veggies and fruits and is cutting down on his red meat.
                                                                  Thanks, Chau

cwu
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Gene,

Thanks, Chau

Gene_S
                                                                  Participant

Hello Chau,

Best Wishes,

Gene

BethA
                                                                    Participant

There is still reason to remain hopeful.  He could get better soon and this will just be a really bad memory.  I pray that his response is good and that he will soon be NED.   It does happen.  Good luck and know you are not alone.  Prayers to you and your dad.  Beth 3/B  

BethA
                                                                      Participant

There is still reason to remain hopeful.  He could get better soon and this will just be a really bad memory.  I pray that his response is good and that he will soon be NED.   It does happen.  Good luck and know you are not alone.  Prayers to you and your dad.  Beth 3/B  

cwu
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Thanks Beth. I hope you will continue to be NED for a long long time.
                                                                            cwu
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              cwu
                                                                              Participant
                                                                              BethA
                                                                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics