The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Snb results, what next?

Forums General Melanoma Community Snb results, what next?

Participant

I just got a call that the wide excision of my right upper arm and sentinel node biopsy came back clear.  Which is good.  But I still feel like I'm holding my breathe.   I know this cancer is vigilant and always wants a way back in, and I will be just as determined in my follow ups.  But after all that I've been reading there are so many stories that begin like mine, all clear and then boom,6 months or 6years later one little guy got away and now it's stage IV.  Be honest- should I be demanding a scan or blood work or anything that might help in just a tiny way to secure my mind that we really did do everything we should have?  The lesion was considered "not thick" at .9mm in thickness and a mitotic rate of <0 with no ulceration. But deep enough to warrant snb. 

thank u everybody and may the force be with u.  The strength ppeople exhibit on this site is  overwhelming.  

Kerri

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

First off, you need perspective.  You see the people who have had their melanoma return here.  You don't see the vast majority who had a clear SNB and moved on.  They have no reason to post or hang out on this site once the shock is over!

Scans will not catch microscopic disease.  If you didn't have any disease in your sentinel node, why do you think you'd have disease elsewhere?  Scans only catch tumors when they've reached a certain size – and that's fairly unlikely for someone with a negative SNB.  (You don't state your stage — either 1 or 2).  Blood work is NOT specific for melanoma.  Again, not really going to tell you anything. 

You are now at the point where you get to learn to live with the history of having cancer but are NED.  It takes some time to get used to that concept.  There really is nothing you can do at this point but be vigilant, not paranoid.  Take a deep breath, but let it go.  Now it's time to appreciate that every day is a gift and LIVE LIFE!

Janner

Stage IB since 1992, 3 MM primaries

Janner
          Participant

First off, you need perspective.  You see the people who have had their melanoma return here.  You don't see the vast majority who had a clear SNB and moved on.  They have no reason to post or hang out on this site once the shock is over!

Scans will not catch microscopic disease.  If you didn't have any disease in your sentinel node, why do you think you'd have disease elsewhere?  Scans only catch tumors when they've reached a certain size – and that's fairly unlikely for someone with a negative SNB.  (You don't state your stage — either 1 or 2).  Blood work is NOT specific for melanoma.  Again, not really going to tell you anything. 

You are now at the point where you get to learn to live with the history of having cancer but are NED.  It takes some time to get used to that concept.  There really is nothing you can do at this point but be vigilant, not paranoid.  Take a deep breath, but let it go.  Now it's time to appreciate that every day is a gift and LIVE LIFE!

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Janner

DZnDef
              Participant

Hi Kerri – Janner, as always, gives you just about the best advice there is.  Congratulations on your most excellent news which is truly reason to celebrate.  I do understand the desire to "do something" at this point.  When I was first (mis)-diagnosed with lung cancer in 2012, I was told they got it all and to live my life.  But I had this nagging feeling that I needed to do something.  After all, my body now knew the "recipe" for cancer, what's to keep it from doing it again?  My situation is radically different than your as it was already melanoma we just didn't know it.  But the thoughts are relevant.  If you want to do something, I would encourage you to take steps to get yourself as overall healthy as possible.  A strong immune system doesn't just help prevent cancer, it'll keep colds and flus at bay and any other number of diseases.  I find it fascinating that the main melanoma-fighting drugs work by boosting your immune system.  It logically follows that having a strong immune system may prevent us from getting cancer in the first place.

Congratulations and best of luck to you!  May you never again have a reason to visit this site!

Maggie

DZnDef
                Participant

Hi Kerri – Janner, as always, gives you just about the best advice there is.  Congratulations on your most excellent news which is truly reason to celebrate.  I do understand the desire to "do something" at this point.  When I was first (mis)-diagnosed with lung cancer in 2012, I was told they got it all and to live my life.  But I had this nagging feeling that I needed to do something.  After all, my body now knew the "recipe" for cancer, what's to keep it from doing it again?  My situation is radically different than your as it was already melanoma we just didn't know it.  But the thoughts are relevant.  If you want to do something, I would encourage you to take steps to get yourself as overall healthy as possible.  A strong immune system doesn't just help prevent cancer, it'll keep colds and flus at bay and any other number of diseases.  I find it fascinating that the main melanoma-fighting drugs work by boosting your immune system.  It logically follows that having a strong immune system may prevent us from getting cancer in the first place.

Congratulations and best of luck to you!  May you never again have a reason to visit this site!

Maggie

DZnDef
                  Participant

Maggie

hbecker
                    Participant

Kerri, I agree with both Maggie and Janner – you should get yourself as healthy as possible, boost your immune system, and at the same time, get yourself into a frame of mind where you can live your life outside the shadow of angst that many of us have felt when we (or our loved ones) first were NED. You can't answer the six-month/six-year question, but you can accommodate that uncertainty and still live a full, happy life. It will take some time, no doubt, but it's worth the effort it will require.

Wishing you the best –

Hazel

hbecker
                      Participant

Kerri, I agree with both Maggie and Janner – you should get yourself as healthy as possible, boost your immune system, and at the same time, get yourself into a frame of mind where you can live your life outside the shadow of angst that many of us have felt when we (or our loved ones) first were NED. You can't answer the six-month/six-year question, but you can accommodate that uncertainty and still live a full, happy life. It will take some time, no doubt, but it's worth the effort it will require.

Wishing you the best –

Hazel

hbecker
                        Participant

Wishing you the best –

Hazel

Kerrid74
                          Participant

Thank u everybody.  U have been so informative and helpful.  Janner- u are great:).  This nasty little disease is a part of me now and has changed my life.  I am praying for everyone here(including myself). ๐Ÿ™‚

Kerrid74
                            Participant

Thank u everybody.  U have been so informative and helpful.  Janner- u are great:).  This nasty little disease is a part of me now and has changed my life.  I am praying for everyone here(including myself). ๐Ÿ™‚

Kerrid74
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics