The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SLNB Recovery Time

Forums General Melanoma Community SLNB Recovery Time

Participant

I'm wondering what the expected recovery time is for SLNB in the armpit. I'm having it done on 6/2 and will be heading out of town 2 days later. I'll be the passenger on a 6 hour road trip and will then be dry-camping in a motorhome for a week whilst working at an outdoor event.

A friend has suggested that I'm out of my mind for trying to do this so soon after surgery. So, for those who have had this procedure done, am I expecting too much of myself? Or do you think this won't be a problem?

Thanks.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        laulamb
        Participant

Hello!  I had SNLB done along with wide area incision on my back and I was able to go to work the next day.  I also went to work the next day after my axillary lymph node dissection.  I also took no pain pills, just Tylenol.  I may not be the norm though, my surgeon was surprised.  You are uncomfortable but I think you would fine riding in a car.  Good luck!  

youngann
            Participant

Thank you. That's sort of what I figured.

youngann
              Participant

youngann
                Participant

laulamb
                Participant

Hello!  I had SNLB done along with wide area incision on my back and I was able to go to work the next day.  I also went to work the next day after my axillary lymph node dissection.  I also took no pain pills, just Tylenol.  I may not be the norm though, my surgeon was surprised.  You are uncomfortable but I think you would fine riding in a car.  Good luck!  

laulamb
                  Participant

Patrisa
                    Participant

I think you should be just fine after 2 days, it's really a minor procedure… 

Patrisa
                      Participant

Patrisa
                        Participant

Lil0909
                          Participant
                            I just want to warn that it is different for everyone. For me there was no way I would have been able to handle 6 hours in a car 2 days after. I was in a lot of pain and every bump in a car ride sent a jolt of pain through my body. I did have some complications with mine, but that was really after the first week (got an infection). Be gentle with yourself and do what feels right when the time comes. I hope everything goes smoothly and you can take your trip!
                              youngann
                              Participant

Thank you, Lilo.

youngann
                                Participant

Thank you, Lilo.

youngann
                                  Participant

Thank you, Lilo.

Lil0909
                                  Participant
                                    I just want to warn that it is different for everyone. For me there was no way I would have been able to handle 6 hours in a car 2 days after. I was in a lot of pain and every bump in a car ride sent a jolt of pain through my body. I did have some complications with mine, but that was really after the first week (got an infection). Be gentle with yourself and do what feels right when the time comes. I hope everything goes smoothly and you can take your trip!
                                    Lil0909
                                    Participant
                                  Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics