The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Skin graft on top of head

Forums General Melanoma Community Skin graft on top of head

Participant

Does anyone know of my options of hair extensions or hair pieces for me to hide where they did surgery to remove the melanoma? It's right on the top of my scalp. And the mole was over 5mm so they took out quite a bit. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        LuckyMan51
        Participant

Take a look around on the web at hair restoration focusing on graft technology. The best type of this hair transplantation takes single strands or a few strands of your own hair and effectively moves it from a place in the back of your head ( you will never be able to see where they take it from) and transplant it to your area of need.  They can transplant hundred in one sitting so just a couple of visits should take care of you. Do your research very carefully and stay away from the many crazy ads you will see offering alternatives. Once you get transplanted the hair goes dormant for a few months and then starts to sprout. Not sure where you live but you will find the best hair restoration doctors in the major population centers. Ask your dermatologist for a referral as a start. Forget the hair pieces or extensions as they need adjustment and maintenance. Farm a little hair and you will be good as new. Just make sure you get a doctor who does the newer style micro grafts and not the old style "hair plugs" or your scalp will look like a Barbie doll.  Good luck. 

LuckyMan51
          Participant

Take a look around on the web at hair restoration focusing on graft technology. The best type of this hair transplantation takes single strands or a few strands of your own hair and effectively moves it from a place in the back of your head ( you will never be able to see where they take it from) and transplant it to your area of need.  They can transplant hundred in one sitting so just a couple of visits should take care of you. Do your research very carefully and stay away from the many crazy ads you will see offering alternatives. Once you get transplanted the hair goes dormant for a few months and then starts to sprout. Not sure where you live but you will find the best hair restoration doctors in the major population centers. Ask your dermatologist for a referral as a start. Forget the hair pieces or extensions as they need adjustment and maintenance. Farm a little hair and you will be good as new. Just make sure you get a doctor who does the newer style micro grafts and not the old style "hair plugs" or your scalp will look like a Barbie doll.  Good luck. 

Mavbus
              Participant

Will this work if the skin graft is unable to grow hair?

Mavbus
                Participant

Mavbus
                  Participant

Mavbus
                    Participant

Thank you for the info

Mavbus
                      Participant

Thank you for the info

Mavbus
                        Participant

Thank you for the info

LuckyMan51
                        Participant

Hstevens0072
                          Participant

Hello!!  I have a giant surgical spot on the top of my head, kinda like an off center yamika :). I did get a hair piece from a great place in Boston (I live in MA).  I think I wore it five or six times.  Because of the location it's apparently not as easy as I imagined to cover it, it's considered a piece but I think it's almost a full on wig!  It looks fantastic but it was hotter than heck to wear-hot flashes did not help matters.  

I looked into extensions but they need hair to hide under so they weren't really an option.

i have ended up teasing the top of my head and then smoothing it back.  Amazingly enough no one can tell :). I asked my Dermo about getting a tattoo there, just to give folks something to enjoy, but she cautioned against it.  She recommended some make-up that you can get quite dark, I have brown hair, that we thought might make it less noticeable but it looked orange and actually made it worse!

My graft is the size of the palm of my hand so it's pretty big.  It's been three and a half years since my surgery  so I'm getting used to it ๐Ÿ™‚  

the hairpiece was expensive, insurance only paid for about a third of it.  If you'd like the name of the place I went let me know, I'd be happy to give it to you.  They did a great job and were very lovely to work with.

best of luck!

Holly

Hstevens0072
                            Participant

Hello!!  I have a giant surgical spot on the top of my head, kinda like an off center yamika :). I did get a hair piece from a great place in Boston (I live in MA).  I think I wore it five or six times.  Because of the location it's apparently not as easy as I imagined to cover it, it's considered a piece but I think it's almost a full on wig!  It looks fantastic but it was hotter than heck to wear-hot flashes did not help matters.  

I looked into extensions but they need hair to hide under so they weren't really an option.

i have ended up teasing the top of my head and then smoothing it back.  Amazingly enough no one can tell :). I asked my Dermo about getting a tattoo there, just to give folks something to enjoy, but she cautioned against it.  She recommended some make-up that you can get quite dark, I have brown hair, that we thought might make it less noticeable but it looked orange and actually made it worse!

My graft is the size of the palm of my hand so it's pretty big.  It's been three and a half years since my surgery  so I'm getting used to it ๐Ÿ™‚  

the hairpiece was expensive, insurance only paid for about a third of it.  If you'd like the name of the place I went let me know, I'd be happy to give it to you.  They did a great job and were very lovely to work with.

best of luck!

Holly

Hstevens0072
                              Participant

best of luck!

Holly

Hstevens0072
                                  Participant

PS I tried to have them do the graft from my husbands back thinking then at least I'd have some hair there, rather than from my silken thigh.  Both my husband and the Dr balked – not sure why:)

Hstevens0072
                                    Participant

PS I tried to have them do the graft from my husbands back thinking then at least I'd have some hair there, rather than from my silken thigh.  Both my husband and the Dr balked – not sure why:)

Mavbus
                                      Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

Mavbus
                                        Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

Mavbus
                                          Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

Hstevens0072
                                            Participant

Mavbus
                                              Participant

Thank you for your reply. There is a place here in Fort Wayne (IN) where I live that offers hair pieces.  I will check it out. I guess it is rather expensive, though. 

Mavbus
                                                Participant

Thank you for your reply. There is a place here in Fort Wayne (IN) where I live that offers hair pieces.  I will check it out. I guess it is rather expensive, though. 

Mavbus
                                                  Participant

benp
                                                  Participant

I've had a big (about 4 inch) graft on the top of my head for about three years now. It is very obvious, but you get used to it! I never think about it now at all really.

benp
                                                    Participant

I've had a big (about 4 inch) graft on the top of my head for about three years now. It is very obvious, but you get used to it! I never think about it now at all really.

Mavbus
                                                        Participant

Thanks for your reply. It does bother me. A lot. Maybe I'll get over it. Idk

Mavbus
                                                          Participant

Mavbus
                                                            Participant

Mavbus
                                                              Participant

Mavbus
                                                                Participant

Mavbus
                                                                  Participant

benp
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics