The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Skin Getting Red – What Am I Doing Wrong?

Forums General Melanoma Community Skin Getting Red – What Am I Doing Wrong?

Participant

Summer finally came and, as such, I have  started to apply sun screen (spf 100) to my exposed areas every two hours. Despite that, and despite trying to stay away from the sun as much as possible, my cheeks have reddened today.

What am I doing wrong? Should I apply more often? Only come out at night? Cover myself completely?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It may be the quantity you are applying.  Most people don't actually apply enough.  1 oz is the recommended application amount.  100 SPF isn't much better than 30 if you read up about SPF.  Also, if you are perspiring, you may need to apply more often.  For the face if you are outside, a hat may be in order.  You will figure it out, and you will find the right balance.

Nemesis
            Participant

Thank you.

I do have an extra question, do you guys always put sunscreen on? Like, if you have to walk to your mail box and back, would you? Or apply it only if you are in the sun for more than 2-3 minutes?

Janner
              Participant

I do not put on sunscreen for incidental exposure.  Walking to the mailbox, in and out of stores, things like that.  If I'm not going to burn in that time, I'm not worrying.  You need a little vitamin D.  That's my personal philosphy.  I don't honestly like sunscreen all that much and I tend to cover up more before applying sunscreen.  Just heard a science podcast today that discussed how SPF of 100 and 30 are about the difference of 1.5% — and that some that say they are 100 SPF when sent to different labs differ between 75 and 30% when actually tested.  I've never spent the extra money for higher SPF because the FDA only regulates up to 30. 

You will develop your own protocol and figure out what works for you.  Just try to remember not to let melanoma win and run your life.  Do what you can to avoid sunburns but live life and don't stress if you don't get it right every day. 

Gene_S
              Participant

Maybe the cheeks are just flushing because of the heat and not actually burning.

Nemesis
                  Participant

That is what my husband thinks as well. It was pretty hot in the car, and the AC broke down halfway through our trip.

UBContributor
                  Participant

I suspect this could be reaction of your skin to something in the cream which you are applying in abundance 

Nemesis
                      Participant

Also a posibility. I will try with other brands.

miaka618
                      Participant
                        I may catch some flack for this, but I don’t use sunscreen unless I am going to be out in the sun for hours. I don’t burn that easily and my melanoma was in a location that doesn’t get a lot of sun in the first place, so I find it hard to believe that the sun was the cause. I also don’t like a lot of chemicals they put in sunscreen. On the other hand, I use sunscreen on my oldest boy all the time. He would burn from too much moonlight if it were possible.

All in saying is, do what makes you happy. Be aware of your own skin type, and don’t stress about the little stuff. I believe stress is more harmful than the sun any day.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics