The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sister Wives?

Forums General Melanoma Community Sister Wives?

Participant

Anyone watch this new 'reality' show?  Three sister wives and their husband is now courting a fourth potential wife.

Anyone watch this new 'reality' show?  Three sister wives and their husband is now courting a fourth potential wife.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        TinaR
        Participant

Sound like a show that could use a cameo appearance by Lorena Bobbit. THAT is an episode I'd tune in for !  Let us know if she joins the cast !

TinaR
          Participant

Sound like a show that could use a cameo appearance by Lorena Bobbit. THAT is an episode I'd tune in for !  Let us know if she joins the cast !

jag
            Participant

"is now?"

jackiewin
                Participant

Heard on the news today that bigamy is a class 3 felony in Utah.  The state is looking into whether or not to prosecute.

Jackie W

jackiewin
                  Participant

Heard on the news today that bigamy is a class 3 felony in Utah.  The state is looking into whether or not to prosecute.

Jackie W

dian in spokane
                    Participant

'and the husband is now courting'

(the wives are most likely NOT involved in the courting)

you're welcome,

dian

dian in spokane
                      Participant

'and the husband is now courting'

(the wives are most likely NOT involved in the courting)

you're welcome,

dian

jag
                        Participant

According to Mormon tradition, a woman doesn't just marry the man, she marries the whole family.

"are now" 

jag
                          Participant

and furthermore, "Three sister wives and their husband" implies the plural, take out the word courting and put in traveling and what would it be?

TinaR
                            Participant

Ach, THIS is where being all smarty pants can bog you down- all that mucking around in the details… implies/plural/grammar…blah blah blah. Poor TV viewer's review was taken the wrong way!

I find it's always best to substitute enthusiasm and a whole lotta dots, dashes and CAPS–like this:

THREE sister wives (?!?!?!) …and their husband is now courting— A FOURTH ?!?!?!!?!  

Let's not let proper tense and sentence structure come between posters ( I know I'd like you to agree to this ๐Ÿ™‚

TinaR
                              Participant

Ach, THIS is where being all smarty pants can bog you down- all that mucking around in the details… implies/plural/grammar…blah blah blah. Poor TV viewer's review was taken the wrong way!

I find it's always best to substitute enthusiasm and a whole lotta dots, dashes and CAPS–like this:

THREE sister wives (?!?!?!) …and their husband is now courting— A FOURTH ?!?!?!!?!  

Let's not let proper tense and sentence structure come between posters ( I know I'd like you to agree to this ๐Ÿ™‚

jag
                                Participant

and furthermore, "Three sister wives and their husband" implies the plural, take out the word courting and put in traveling and what would it be?

Janner
                                  Participant

Mormon tradition?  And where are you getting your Mormon knowledge?  Firsthand experience?

Mormons outlawed polygamy in the 1890's.  Mormons are NOT polygamists.  And polygamists do NOT follow the Mormon faith.  They've evolved their own religions – each sect doing their own thing. 

Janner
                                    Participant

Mormon tradition?  And where are you getting your Mormon knowledge?  Firsthand experience?

Mormons outlawed polygamy in the 1890's.  Mormons are NOT polygamists.  And polygamists do NOT follow the Mormon faith.  They've evolved their own religions – each sect doing their own thing. 

jag
                                      Participant

Sorry Janner, I didn't mean to lump Mormons into a group like that,  I suppose you could say I have a real life Mormon experience and a reason to be suspicious about things like that.  What happened was, I have this drunk aunt and she needed help and all of these super friendly, well dressed, white guys knock on her door  one day with a plate of cookies saying they were from the ladder day saints or something.  Next thing you know she was thrown in a van, and she was found in a little house on the prairie dress in Southern Utah, with 7 other women 10 years later.  She said the hardest part of living with the mormons wasn't sharing a man with all of the other women-for her that was no big deal.  It was the fact that she wasn't allowed to have a drink every now and then.  

jag
                                        Participant

Sorry Janner, I didn't mean to lump Mormons into a group like that,  I suppose you could say I have a real life Mormon experience and a reason to be suspicious about things like that.  What happened was, I have this drunk aunt and she needed help and all of these super friendly, well dressed, white guys knock on her door  one day with a plate of cookies saying they were from the ladder day saints or something.  Next thing you know she was thrown in a van, and she was found in a little house on the prairie dress in Southern Utah, with 7 other women 10 years later.  She said the hardest part of living with the mormons wasn't sharing a man with all of the other women-for her that was no big deal.  It was the fact that she wasn't allowed to have a drink every now and then.  

jag
                                          Participant

According to Mormon tradition, a woman doesn't just marry the man, she marries the whole family.

"are now" 

jag
                                            Participant

Fuck you.

jag
                                              Participant

You are welcome.

jag
                                                Participant

You are welcome.

jag
                                                  Participant

and it's grammar not grammer.

jag
                                                    Participant

and it's grammar not grammer.

dian in spokane
                                                      Participant

welll loookie at you.. what a riot..resorting to the big FUCK YOU over someone poking you for grammer..when..wait..YOU were poking someone over grammer in the first place.

you never disappoint me john. you always revert to form

dian in spokane
                                                        Participant

welll loookie at you.. what a riot..resorting to the big FUCK YOU over someone poking you for grammer..when..wait..YOU were poking someone over grammer in the first place.

you never disappoint me john. you always revert to form

jag
                                                          Participant

Hey somebody has to class this jernt up a bit.

jag
                                                            Participant

Hey somebody has to class this jernt up a bit.

dian in spokane
                                                              Participant

Someone must! You sure do make me laugh sometimes.

Anyway, I might be the only person on this board who has actually BEEN in a polygamous relationship, and I didn't do any of the courting.

TinaR
                                                                Participant

See!!! THIS is what I mean by your naughty stories… you mention your polygamous relationship and NO ONE BLINKS. I tell you, I must lead a very sheltered life- I picked up on this right away. I am wondering what you mean by  your  "polygamous relationship" – did you know, did you care or WHAT?

You might still win the prize for *most original* with this one, dian… 

TinaR
                                                                  Participant

See!!! THIS is what I mean by your naughty stories… you mention your polygamous relationship and NO ONE BLINKS. I tell you, I must lead a very sheltered life- I picked up on this right away. I am wondering what you mean by  your  "polygamous relationship" – did you know, did you care or WHAT?

You might still win the prize for *most original* with this one, dian… 

dian in spokane
                                                                    Participant

did I know? what? …polygamy is different than bigamy (vaguely) I mean.. people in 'plural marriages' know all about it. Bigamists are the ones who sneak off and marry a girl in every town

this was a girl in every room

๐Ÿ™‚

TinaR
                                                                      Participant

did you know …you were signing on for this…did it come about after? Were you thrown into the back of a van with a plate of cookies, a bonnet and wind up in a dry Walnut Grove with Pa,  Half Pint,  Mary, Carrie, Grace,  Cassandra, and Nellie ?? Or maybe it's the all around, good to go *70's* defense ( I use that a lot ) ?

Ha, I already know!  But had to answer ๐Ÿ™‚

TinaR
                                                                        Participant

did you know …you were signing on for this…did it come about after? Were you thrown into the back of a van with a plate of cookies, a bonnet and wind up in a dry Walnut Grove with Pa,  Half Pint,  Mary, Carrie, Grace,  Cassandra, and Nellie ?? Or maybe it's the all around, good to go *70's* defense ( I use that a lot ) ?

Ha, I already know!  But had to answer ๐Ÿ™‚

dian in spokane
                                                                          Participant

did I know? what? …polygamy is different than bigamy (vaguely) I mean.. people in 'plural marriages' know all about it. Bigamists are the ones who sneak off and marry a girl in every town

this was a girl in every room

๐Ÿ™‚

dian in spokane
                                                                            Participant

Someone must! You sure do make me laugh sometimes.

Anyway, I might be the only person on this board who has actually BEEN in a polygamous relationship, and I didn't do any of the courting.

jag
                                                                              Participant

Fuck you.

jag
                                                                              Participant

"is now?"

LV
                                                                                Participant

I've watched, and enjoyed, Big Love on HBO, which seems to present a pretty accurate description of 'modern'  plural marriage. I realize it's a TV show, but I don't think it's too far off the mark. The wives do have a say, but still, it's just a justification for the men.

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                    Participant

I  have enough trouble keeping focus on my one hubby.  (42 years now)  I just cleave unto my husband I guess, but always though of a cleaving knife?  could I have cleaved him in two and two for the price of one? Can a wealthy woman say have 3 brother husbands?  or is that whole thing…. orientated around  one man and plural wives. (though only one can be his legal wives, legally are the other two his live inn mistresses?   Does he adopt each and everyone of the children born fromte not legally married wives?

I just have always loved being a couple.  Bonnie,  not Bob's wife Bonnie,  had too many years of  this is Harold and Dorothys Daughter, you remember Bonnie!  hahah even now if they are still alive.  (friends of my now 92 year old maw)  who married twice, but divorced them first.

Luff Bonnie

dian in spokane
                                                                                      Participant

ha! Bonnie….who would want THREEE brother husbands??

I mean..at least if yoiu had a sister wife, maybe someone else would do the laundry..

Let's think about it…if you had THREE husbands..

One could be a mechanic..then your car would always run. One could dead handsome lke Clooney and ALSO be a plumber. And one could flat out rich like the Donald. Heck you could have a forth, who was a contractor, so you'd always trust the guys doing the remodel.

Unfortunately..after yesterday, none of them could be Tony Curtis ๐Ÿ™

TinaR
                                                                                        Participant

Unless you were using plumber as a euphemism…we're going to need an additional husband as George would be too busy to work on the sinks and toilets. Oh dian… someone here mentioned he wasn't interested in women, so we'll just have to swap him out for…maybe Nathan Fillion or Jon Hamm and add a real plumber to the mix. That brings it to  5 now…five more than any woman should have to deal with ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Wouldn't one with all that rolled in be nice and easier to ignore! — just  kidding (?) Of course, if you're sleeping with John Hamm do you care if your sink is clogged, the car is stuck in the garage or your house is falling apart? No. Then again, if you marry Donald…you'd pay for all that work to be done, but be tempted to run through all his money trying to find a salon to address his needs.

We can't win. I say we go for the extra wife and split the chores right down the middle- we can alternate ignoring the husband.

TinaR
                                                                                          Participant

Unless you were using plumber as a euphemism…we're going to need an additional husband as George would be too busy to work on the sinks and toilets. Oh dian… someone here mentioned he wasn't interested in women, so we'll just have to swap him out for…maybe Nathan Fillion or Jon Hamm and add a real plumber to the mix. That brings it to  5 now…five more than any woman should have to deal with ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Wouldn't one with all that rolled in be nice and easier to ignore! — just  kidding (?) Of course, if you're sleeping with John Hamm do you care if your sink is clogged, the car is stuck in the garage or your house is falling apart? No. Then again, if you marry Donald…you'd pay for all that work to be done, but be tempted to run through all his money trying to find a salon to address his needs.

We can't win. I say we go for the extra wife and split the chores right down the middle- we can alternate ignoring the husband.

dian in spokane
                                                                                            Participant

ha! Bonnie….who would want THREEE brother husbands??

I mean..at least if yoiu had a sister wife, maybe someone else would do the laundry..

Let's think about it…if you had THREE husbands..

One could be a mechanic..then your car would always run. One could dead handsome lke Clooney and ALSO be a plumber. And one could flat out rich like the Donald. Heck you could have a forth, who was a contractor, so you'd always trust the guys doing the remodel.

Unfortunately..after yesterday, none of them could be Tony Curtis ๐Ÿ™

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                              Participant

well guys instead of going full tilt to the extent of the law  'brother husbands' let us decide who and for what.  Now for those of us who enjoy socializing  a good looker would suffice.  He need not be a plumber, or electrician.  Just look great when we step out for OUR social dues.

the George Cloony (doesnt matter his preference, though I dont believe what you guys all say here)  he looks good in a tux and I am not sure if he has any little clooneys running about the world.

for practical uses,  I NEED my hubby to be a Mr Fix it on a budget.  a general all purpose guy who adores me and asks no questions, (nor second guesses my appintment times)  Do the 'sisterwives'  work outside of looking after 13 kids? or is super daddy the only support.

Like 19 kids and counting….. there never seems a lack of money there.  and at least they have OLDER girls to raise the younger girls.

If I had to birth babies for all my husbands  boy I better have some great doctors and nannies. hahha  So I dont know that I could be a successful TV show on brother husbands. 

dian in spokane
                                                                                                Participant

Bonnie, I don't think that a Brother Husband show would fly. I'm not sure how many 'plural' marriages there are out there that have that kind of configuration.

I mean.. people have all sorts of marriages and personal configurations, but it seems to me that we hear MOSTLY about these polygamous families in relationship to their faith. So it's often driven by some odd religion, and these are mostly men, not women who are adding the extra spouses.

The saddest part of it all is that young women, teenagers really, are often being married off to much older men, way before they can really decide for themselves on such a lifestyle.

I mean… most folks wouldn't care that much if their 40 something neighbors decided they both loved a 38 yr old woman and she moved in with them. They might be a little scandalized, but they wouldn't neccessarily think they needed to call the cops.

I'm all for religious freedom, and believe people should be able to worship as they please, but it's weird when they start marrying off their 13 yr olds to some old fart

Now.. I wonder if john will find a video of meercats sacrificing their babies into marital bondage…

dian in spokane
                                                                                                  Participant

Bonnie, I don't think that a Brother Husband show would fly. I'm not sure how many 'plural' marriages there are out there that have that kind of configuration.

I mean.. people have all sorts of marriages and personal configurations, but it seems to me that we hear MOSTLY about these polygamous families in relationship to their faith. So it's often driven by some odd religion, and these are mostly men, not women who are adding the extra spouses.

The saddest part of it all is that young women, teenagers really, are often being married off to much older men, way before they can really decide for themselves on such a lifestyle.

I mean… most folks wouldn't care that much if their 40 something neighbors decided they both loved a 38 yr old woman and she moved in with them. They might be a little scandalized, but they wouldn't neccessarily think they needed to call the cops.

I'm all for religious freedom, and believe people should be able to worship as they please, but it's weird when they start marrying off their 13 yr olds to some old fart

Now.. I wonder if john will find a video of meercats sacrificing their babies into marital bondage…

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                    Participant

well guys instead of going full tilt to the extent of the law  'brother husbands' let us decide who and for what.  Now for those of us who enjoy socializing  a good looker would suffice.  He need not be a plumber, or electrician.  Just look great when we step out for OUR social dues.

the George Cloony (doesnt matter his preference, though I dont believe what you guys all say here)  he looks good in a tux and I am not sure if he has any little clooneys running about the world.

for practical uses,  I NEED my hubby to be a Mr Fix it on a budget.  a general all purpose guy who adores me and asks no questions, (nor second guesses my appintment times)  Do the 'sisterwives'  work outside of looking after 13 kids? or is super daddy the only support.

Like 19 kids and counting….. there never seems a lack of money there.  and at least they have OLDER girls to raise the younger girls.

If I had to birth babies for all my husbands  boy I better have some great doctors and nannies. hahha  So I dont know that I could be a successful TV show on brother husbands. 

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                      Participant

I  have enough trouble keeping focus on my one hubby.  (42 years now)  I just cleave unto my husband I guess, but always though of a cleaving knife?  could I have cleaved him in two and two for the price of one? Can a wealthy woman say have 3 brother husbands?  or is that whole thing…. orientated around  one man and plural wives. (though only one can be his legal wives, legally are the other two his live inn mistresses?   Does he adopt each and everyone of the children born fromte not legally married wives?

I just have always loved being a couple.  Bonnie,  not Bob's wife Bonnie,  had too many years of  this is Harold and Dorothys Daughter, you remember Bonnie!  hahah even now if they are still alive.  (friends of my now 92 year old maw)  who married twice, but divorced them first.

Luff Bonnie

LV
                                                                                                      Participant

I've watched, and enjoyed, Big Love on HBO, which seems to present a pretty accurate description of 'modern'  plural marriage. I realize it's a TV show, but I don't think it's too far off the mark. The wives do have a say, but still, it's just a justification for the men.

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                        Participant

Well I for one, could not juggle more than one man in my life.  (not counting the little men)  but he aint so little.   Oh Dian I LOVE MEERKATS   have the BBC series.   but I dont think they sacrifice their nubile dotters!  hahah

yes it is sad when we hear of any culture that promotes 13 year olds to get married.  Something is just not right, and if the wealth of man can sustain plural wives, and that is the culture, so be it, but not young young girls.  I amm glad there are just those 'off shoots'  and non really do claim any serious religious connection.

This man who is 'courting' maybe wife number 4 is looking for trouble me thinks.  I think I saw a littleexerpt from the show, but did not watch the show (forgot)  was iinvolved with all the HOARDING SHOWS and last night the raising of Cleopatra's column.

Old history buff.

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                          Participant

Well I for one, could not juggle more than one man in my life.  (not counting the little men)  but he aint so little.   Oh Dian I LOVE MEERKATS   have the BBC series.   but I dont think they sacrifice their nubile dotters!  hahah

yes it is sad when we hear of any culture that promotes 13 year olds to get married.  Something is just not right, and if the wealth of man can sustain plural wives, and that is the culture, so be it, but not young young girls.  I amm glad there are just those 'off shoots'  and non really do claim any serious religious connection.

This man who is 'courting' maybe wife number 4 is looking for trouble me thinks.  I think I saw a littleexerpt from the show, but did not watch the show (forgot)  was iinvolved with all the HOARDING SHOWS and last night the raising of Cleopatra's column.

Old history buff.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics