The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Single parent (kinda) – to do interferon or not?

Forums General Melanoma Community Single parent (kinda) – to do interferon or not?

Participant
      So I’m not truly a single mom, but my husband works with a collegiate football team which means during the season I basically am because he’s at work for 14-17 hours a day and with the new coach, his hours have stayed like this even when they are not in season. We have a 2 year old daughter and I work full time as a sales manager for a hotel. Im stage 3A and we are debating if interferon is what is best for me and the family. I wanted to hear from single parents or families with young children on why you chose to undergo treatment and how it affected family life.

So I’m not truly a single mom, but my husband works with a collegiate football team which means during the season I basically am because he’s at work for 14-17 hours a day and with the new coach, his hours have stayed like this even when they are not in season. We have a 2 year old daughter and I work full time as a sales manager for a hotel. Im stage 3A and we are debating if interferon is what is best for me and the family. I wanted to hear from single parents or families with young children on why you chose to undergo treatment and how it affected family life. Also, for those that are done with treatments, how long did side effects last after you finished and have there been any other issues that have come from doing the interferon? Thanks for the help! I want to be healthy but if they got all the cancer through surgery, is the interferon worth it?

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        jcraigdawson
        Participant
          My son Truman was 14 Months when I pulled the plug and went on full leave from work and focused on treatment and looking after him. Caring for him wasn’t exceptionally hard, but I spent a large amount of time laying on the playroom floor encouraging independent play and napping with him. We have a special bond because of it.

Unfortunately I couldn’t imagine a full year of interferon as a “single” parent and working. That said there are extraordinary people that rise to the occasion, and and that could easily be you.

Good luck
          JCD

jcraigdawson
          Participant
            My son Truman was 14 Months when I pulled the plug and went on full leave from work and focused on treatment and looking after him. Caring for him wasn’t exceptionally hard, but I spent a large amount of time laying on the playroom floor encouraging independent play and napping with him. We have a special bond because of it.

Unfortunately I couldn’t imagine a full year of interferon as a “single” parent and working. That said there are extraordinary people that rise to the occasion, and and that could easily be you.

Good luck
            JCD

jcraigdawson
            Participant

Good luck
              JCD

washoegal
              Participant

Interferon is a very heated topic on this board.  In the end it's a personal decision.  I am also stage 3A.  In March I will be 2 years NED!!!!  I chose not to do interferon.  While I don't have children, I like to travel and lead a busy life.  The kicker for me was being sick for a year (even if it was only flu type symptoms) and if there was a recurrance "overall survival. is not improved".  That on top of an extremely low success rate, seemed like a no win to me.  But like I said, it's personal. 

Maybe you can get some part time help with you daughter if you decide to go ahead with the treatments just yo ease up on things a little. 

Good luck,

Mary

washoegal
                Participant

Interferon is a very heated topic on this board.  In the end it's a personal decision.  I am also stage 3A.  In March I will be 2 years NED!!!!  I chose not to do interferon.  While I don't have children, I like to travel and lead a busy life.  The kicker for me was being sick for a year (even if it was only flu type symptoms) and if there was a recurrance "overall survival. is not improved".  That on top of an extremely low success rate, seemed like a no win to me.  But like I said, it's personal. 

Maybe you can get some part time help with you daughter if you decide to go ahead with the treatments just yo ease up on things a little. 

Good luck,

Mary

washoegal
                  Participant

Good luck,

Mary

Leigh
                    Participant

For what it is worth, I think you should make the decision regarding interferon by weighing up the pros and cons of the treatment, and completely ignore the logistics around it all.  I have two very small children and often get caught up in their needs and the family's needs, when really we all need to look after mum first.  Not sure if that helps but I have had many occasions when I have needed reminding of that and it is excellent advice.

Leigh
                      Participant

For what it is worth, I think you should make the decision regarding interferon by weighing up the pros and cons of the treatment, and completely ignore the logistics around it all.  I have two very small children and often get caught up in their needs and the family's needs, when really we all need to look after mum first.  Not sure if that helps but I have had many occasions when I have needed reminding of that and it is excellent advice.

Leigh
                        Participant

scots
                          Participant
                            I would agree with the statements of the other posts. It’s a personal decision and a very touchy subject on the board. I’m sure you will many opinions. Everyone reacts differently to interferon as you will see if you do a search on interferon posts. My wife and I decided it was worth a try, knowing I could always stop at any time. I did complete the full year of Interferon, but it was definitely not easy. My wife took over a lot things that I normally did around the house and with the kids(2) so I could sleep and rest when I was not working. It took about a month for the interferon to get out of my system after finishing the treatment. If you have any questions please ask. We will support what ever your decision is.

Scot

scots
                            Participant
                              I would agree with the statements of the other posts. It’s a personal decision and a very touchy subject on the board. I’m sure you will many opinions. Everyone reacts differently to interferon as you will see if you do a search on interferon posts. My wife and I decided it was worth a try, knowing I could always stop at any time. I did complete the full year of Interferon, but it was definitely not easy. My wife took over a lot things that I normally did around the house and with the kids(2) so I could sleep and rest when I was not working. It took about a month for the interferon to get out of my system after finishing the treatment. If you have any questions please ask. We will support what ever your decision is.

Scot

scots
                              Participant

Scot

Dave G
                                Participant

Interferon can be tough and results are somewhat unclear from my perspective. Initially I couldn't understand why the doctors were proposing this treatment as I had the melanoma removed and scans indicated NED. I was stage 2 at the time and did opt in knowing I had great support at home and could stop the treatments at anytime. I lasted 8 months and it did knock me down quite a bit. The biggest side effect by far was the fatigue. As with all treatment options some work and some do not. The Interferon did not work in my case as I am now stage 4 liver METS. But would I do it again? Probably – but as stated in earlier replies it is a personal choice albeit not easy.

Dave G

Dave G
                                  Participant

Interferon can be tough and results are somewhat unclear from my perspective. Initially I couldn't understand why the doctors were proposing this treatment as I had the melanoma removed and scans indicated NED. I was stage 2 at the time and did opt in knowing I had great support at home and could stop the treatments at anytime. I lasted 8 months and it did knock me down quite a bit. The biggest side effect by far was the fatigue. As with all treatment options some work and some do not. The Interferon did not work in my case as I am now stage 4 liver METS. But would I do it again? Probably – but as stated in earlier replies it is a personal choice albeit not easy.

Dave G

Dave G
                                    Participant

Dave G

Ali
                                      Participant

I agree this is a personal decision.  I chose to do interferon (at 3A) when I had three young children (youngest was 2) because I wanted do to anything that might help and I never wanted to wonder "what if".  I am stage 4 now, but I do think that interferon helped keep me disease free for 4 years.  I was able to tolerate it for 8 months.  I spent a ton of time sleeping, playing with my kids on the floor, and having people help me.  The first month of high dose would be very hard if you did not have super support.  I have a friend whose husband does the same thing for a living, so I can see why this is a concideration.  For the most part, all side effects were gone within a month, but it took half a year or so to get back to 100% for me.  

Good luck with your decision.  Do what you feel best about and don't look back.

Ali

Ali
                                        Participant

I agree this is a personal decision.  I chose to do interferon (at 3A) when I had three young children (youngest was 2) because I wanted do to anything that might help and I never wanted to wonder "what if".  I am stage 4 now, but I do think that interferon helped keep me disease free for 4 years.  I was able to tolerate it for 8 months.  I spent a ton of time sleeping, playing with my kids on the floor, and having people help me.  The first month of high dose would be very hard if you did not have super support.  I have a friend whose husband does the same thing for a living, so I can see why this is a concideration.  For the most part, all side effects were gone within a month, but it took half a year or so to get back to 100% for me.  

Ali

Ali
                                          Participant

Ali

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics