The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Side effects you don’t mind

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Side effects you don’t mind

Participant

Cancer sucks. Cancer treatment sucks. But how can we make light of the situation?

My personal cancer history involves 4 surgeries, 1 dose of immunotherapy because of hypophysitis, and 6 weeks of radiation treatment. I've been in a holding pattern since last summer because nothing is there, but nothing is not there either. So we wait and watch to make sure that little bit of nothing that keeps popping up on the scan continues to be nothing.

But on to my point. What side effects have you had that are not that bad…or even kind of ok.

For example, when I was on radiation treatment on my parotid area, I loss my sense of taste. It was crappy. Everything tasted crappy. Food was reduced to just texture, and who knew that the texture of mashed potatoes was revolting. Because of this I didn't want to eat and so I lost weight. I lost the weight that I had gained while on high dose steroids from my hypophysitis. WIN! My sense of taste did eventually come back, but not the weight. 😀

Speaking of hypophysitis, my hormones got a little screwy. I am stuck on thyroid replacement and cortisol replacement probably for life. On the up note, I haven't noticed much in the way of armpit hair and my skin is WAY less oily, so much less that I don't feel the need to shower as much as I use to. DOUBLE WIN!!

So that's my list. What kind of side effects do you not mind?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        MovingOn
        Participant

Getting testosterone replacement therapy after hypophysitis. At my age, I doubt that I had any to begin with 🙂

miaka618
            Participant

I'm not going to lie, when I was on the steriods, I only slept 4 hours a night and felt GREAT! To bad it was accompanied with major weight gain and a case of acne that could have easily been confused for chicken pox!

JuTMSY4
            Participant

oh this is fun:

From surgery:  I can't feel the top of my left thigh.  I have (and continue to) keep my cell phone in my left pocket and I never feel it vibrate haha.

From immunotherapy:  I have dealt with various dry skin/exzema conditions on my hands for years.  Somehow Keytruda made it go wild (and move to my feet) before entirely clearing it up on my hands.  Like, my hands became super dry and calous-y and now it's all but clear – no major dry spots, cracking, spliting, etc.  From my doc "Well, I guess that's just another thing it can do.

Bubbles
              Participant

I totally agree with looking on the bright side, but can't say that I found any positive side effects, personally.  Although there was my life being saved from melanoma through the drug/treatments that caused them!!!!  Pretty big win there!!!  However, this data may well apply!  Here's a post I put together this am:

https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2018/07/cure-your-flu-and-melanoma-too.html

Trametinib, the MEK inhibitor, can cure your flu and melanoma, too???  Hey, folks on MEK deserve it!!!  Hang in there everybody!  celeste

DZnDef
                Participant

Great topic.  Brain surgery stopped my headaches.  I've always been prone to headaches:  mild dehydration-headache, certain time of the month-headache.  And my headaches were bad.  I finally got some brain tumors requiring neurosurgery and no more headaches.  Not even when I forget to drink my daily cup of coffee.  So for me, a positive side effect of brain surgery was the elimination of headaches.  Sweet!

Cheers!

Maggie

marta010
                  Participant

Being alive is the best side effect.

Ann

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics