The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Shoulder to lean on…kinda long

Forums General Melanoma Community Shoulder to lean on…kinda long

Participant

thanks Bonnie, John, Janner, LV, Dian, Kathie, Linda and Everyone.

This has been so hard that I think there is something wrong with me.  Really.

thanks Bonnie, John, Janner, LV, Dian, Kathie, Linda and Everyone.

This has been so hard that I think there is something wrong with me.  Really.

We closed on our new little townhouse on Wednesday and just hung out at the crappy corporate apartment, watching baseball, having a couple beers, sitting on the sofa with the dogz.  We had planned to start taking our clothes and stuff from the apartment, but decided to just hang out and chill with the girlz.  Abbey was feeling like a little walk… I think because of the Tramadol that was the  new arthritis med that her new doc had given her on Monday.  I hugged her when we got back and told her that she was like hugging a cloud of white softness; she sat very close until it was bedtime.  She woke us up at 3 am and we were at the emergency clinic at 4 am.  I was sure it was a drug reaction; we had no idea that anything could be related to her surgery last year; neither did any of the 3 docs she had seen since February.

I am so stupid…I held her at the clinic and sobbed and kept asking if she was dead.  I guess we dodge so many bullets around here health wise(in terms of all of the stress of life threatening situations), what with melanoma and son's head injuries, that it is just all too surreal.  We even felt that we dodged a bullet with Abbey's splenic mass last year.  It was exactly a year ago last week.

So anyways, we got back at 5:50, just as the coffee pot started to brew…we gave up on sleeping in ever because Miss AbbeyDog always wanted her breakfast.  We met the movers at the new place at 9:00 (we had all of our belonging in storage while the townhouse was being built); they were very kind to me and kept giving me tissues 'cos the tears wouldn't stop.

Hubs had to leave on Sunday for a convention in Las Vegas.   I am feeling sorry for myself is all there is to it, but it has been a hard few days.  There is a lot of bad stuff going on for a lot of people; thanks for reading this.  It is really helping just to write it down.

BTW…my EmmaDog is helping so much.  What a good girl she is.  I wonder if she is finding it strange to be an only dog?

Appreciate it everyone.

Love, k.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bonnie Lea
        Participant

Oh Kim…. I do understand about losing an important 'person/dog/cat'  When it was time and our dog was in so much pain, she jumped up into the cab of the truck, and jumped out at the vet, and did not looks anything like she had been looking like the past 6 months.

We stayed with her.  Until it was over.  It hurt.  We both cried.  Our children cried, though they knew.

When it came time for our 18 year old cat, twas the same thing.  I stayed till it was over. and weeped.

I did not have any other animal until about 10 years later.  It was a rat.  We looked after our neighbours dogs..walks and companionship and all that pent up love.  Then Chloe (cat) came to live with us, in a foster cat situation.  I would never give her up.  (6 years later)  same with ArCee who was Neil's cat.  We decided to keep her as well, and they are both fast friends.

So Kim, we know you know.

Love Bonnie

Bonnie Lea
          Participant

Oh Kim…. I do understand about losing an important 'person/dog/cat'  When it was time and our dog was in so much pain, she jumped up into the cab of the truck, and jumped out at the vet, and did not looks anything like she had been looking like the past 6 months.

We stayed with her.  Until it was over.  It hurt.  We both cried.  Our children cried, though they knew.

When it came time for our 18 year old cat, twas the same thing.  I stayed till it was over. and weeped.

I did not have any other animal until about 10 years later.  It was a rat.  We looked after our neighbours dogs..walks and companionship and all that pent up love.  Then Chloe (cat) came to live with us, in a foster cat situation.  I would never give her up.  (6 years later)  same with ArCee who was Neil's cat.  We decided to keep her as well, and they are both fast friends.

So Kim, we know you know.

Love Bonnie

LV
            Participant

As they say, I am not a doctor, so I can't say if anything is wrong with you. But I lost my big beautiful girl-dog last August, and it still is not easy. So many of my habits were tied to her, even more so than to my husband. I still can't pull into the garage without wondering if I've left enough room for her to get by as she dashes out the door the minute I open it. She also helped me to keep going in all the crazy times, because her needs were regular (and luckily pretty easily satisfied). I think she was also something of an emotional bridge back to the more normal times with my husband. While these things are specific to me, I think it's pretty common for us to invest our beloved pets with some sort of mythic essence. They love us so unconditionally. They are far more than the sum of their parts.

So, no. I don't think you're crazy. You've suffered a major loss. I'm sorry.

LV
              Participant

As they say, I am not a doctor, so I can't say if anything is wrong with you. But I lost my big beautiful girl-dog last August, and it still is not easy. So many of my habits were tied to her, even more so than to my husband. I still can't pull into the garage without wondering if I've left enough room for her to get by as she dashes out the door the minute I open it. She also helped me to keep going in all the crazy times, because her needs were regular (and luckily pretty easily satisfied). I think she was also something of an emotional bridge back to the more normal times with my husband. While these things are specific to me, I think it's pretty common for us to invest our beloved pets with some sort of mythic essence. They love us so unconditionally. They are far more than the sum of their parts.

So, no. I don't think you're crazy. You've suffered a major loss. I'm sorry.

lhaley
                Participant

Loosing a pet is soooo hard!  Many years ago when my cat died (she was about 18 at the time) my dad called to tell me. He was crying so hard that for several minutes I thought my mom had died!  When we had to put Maggie dog down a few years ago I couldn't believe how much it hurt.  Sammy and I held her until she took her last breath. We haven't gotten another pet and I still miss her. 

Pets give us unconditional love. It makes it all the harder. She is now dancing in doggy heaven.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Loosing a pet is soooo hard!  Many years ago when my cat died (she was about 18 at the time) my dad called to tell me. He was crying so hard that for several minutes I thought my mom had died!  When we had to put Maggie dog down a few years ago I couldn't believe how much it hurt.  Sammy and I held her until she took her last breath. We haven't gotten another pet and I still miss her. 

Pets give us unconditional love. It makes it all the harder. She is now dancing in doggy heaven.

Linda

Nancylee
                    Participant

I dont have much to say except to say hello and hope you are feeling better than when you sent this message.

xxoo

Nancy

Nancylee
                      Participant

I dont have much to say except to say hello and hope you are feeling better than when you sent this message.

xxoo

Nancy

Kimmer
                        Participant

Once again, my heart-felt gratitude to you all.

Unconditional love is truly key here.  I am lucky that  I have  given it and received such a blessing.  AbbeyDog was pure love and pure joy.

I do feel better and I am glad to be in such good company as all of y'all who love your pets.  Maybe there isn't anything wrong with me other than a broken heart after all.

XXX OOO

k.

Kimmer
                          Participant

Once again, my heart-felt gratitude to you all.

Unconditional love is truly key here.  I am lucky that  I have  given it and received such a blessing.  AbbeyDog was pure love and pure joy.

I do feel better and I am glad to be in such good company as all of y'all who love your pets.  Maybe there isn't anything wrong with me other than a broken heart after all.

XXX OOO

k.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics