The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Should I hold off my deployment? Can this wait 4 weeks?

Forums General Melanoma Community Should I hold off my deployment? Can this wait 4 weeks?

Participant

I know this is a decision I have to make,  but what would you do? I ship out tomorrow and of course I notice a new spot on my leg. I had a derm appt in May and I do not believe it was there at the time.  It meets the A,B, and D criteria. I am trying to decide if it can wait four weeks. Its super light, my significant other could hardly see it, but the melanoma patient in me is scared.

Here is a link to a picture. 

https://postimg.org/image/odz5bdhsp/

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Looks like a lot of things but melanoma isn't one of them.  Is it evolving?  Take a pic and monitor it.  

Janner
          Participant

Looks like a lot of things but melanoma isn't one of them.  Is it evolving?  Take a pic and monitor it.  

Janner
            Participant

Cynthia C
              Participant

Hi,

I would not disregard melanoma as a cause for this spot. Mine was on the outside of my lower leg just below the knee. It started out looking like a big freckle, flat, not symmetrical and tan in color, slightly darker than your spot. Both my primary doctor and myself disregarded it as just something to watch. Over the course of 6 months it did change and raise up somewhat. I was very negligent and did not have it looked at for another 6 months by which time it looked like a little mountain range and had bled. It also felt foreign to me, like it really did not belong on me. Obviously you will be diligent in observing any changes and getting it looked at in a timely fashion. I think 4 weeks of observing for any changes is not unreasonable but I'll tell you if I see a suspicious spot on myself I'll be at the dermotologist in a heartbeat! I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

Cynthia C

3b, NED 16 1/2 years

Cynthia C
                Participant

Hi,

I would not disregard melanoma as a cause for this spot. Mine was on the outside of my lower leg just below the knee. It started out looking like a big freckle, flat, not symmetrical and tan in color, slightly darker than your spot. Both my primary doctor and myself disregarded it as just something to watch. Over the course of 6 months it did change and raise up somewhat. I was very negligent and did not have it looked at for another 6 months by which time it looked like a little mountain range and had bled. It also felt foreign to me, like it really did not belong on me. Obviously you will be diligent in observing any changes and getting it looked at in a timely fashion. I think 4 weeks of observing for any changes is not unreasonable but I'll tell you if I see a suspicious spot on myself I'll be at the dermotologist in a heartbeat! I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

Cynthia C

3b, NED 16 1/2 years

Cynthia C
                  Participant

Hi,

Cynthia C

3b, NED 16 1/2 years

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics