The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Should I get this Mole removed?

Forums General Melanoma Community Should I get this Mole removed?

• Replies
      Janner
      Participant

Has it changed?  The only way I'd remove that mole (or any mole for that matter) is if it showed change.  ABCDs are fine but E and evolving is the one I live by.  Most of my moles has some atypical features but as long as they are stable, they aren't going anywhere. 

Do what makes YOU comfortable!

UriahPH
          Participant
            Thank you for thr reply. I’m not sure I’ve never paid attention to it really. So do you think it’s not worth rushing for a biopsy based on the look of it?
            Janner
            Participant

If this were on my skin, no.  But I have no clue what your other moles look like and whether this is truly an "ugly duckling".  I seriously doubt it.   Remember, that is what you are really looking for – something that stands out as being truly different from all your other moles.  If it were me, I'd take a snapshot and then monitor it monthly for change.  I'd do that with ANY mole.   If they are stable, leave them alone.  If they change, they are gone.  This method avoids unnecessary biopsies.  It has worked for me for the last 24 years and 3 melanoma primaries.  Pictures give you that independent eye.  They are what is used in the basic form of Mole Mapping which many derms use.  Monitor for change, not just basic appearance.  In the end, go with your gut feeling.  You are in charge.

Janner
              Participant

If this were on my skin, no.  But I have no clue what your other moles look like and whether this is truly an "ugly duckling".  I seriously doubt it.   Remember, that is what you are really looking for – something that stands out as being truly different from all your other moles.  If it were me, I'd take a snapshot and then monitor it monthly for change.  I'd do that with ANY mole.   If they are stable, leave them alone.  If they change, they are gone.  This method avoids unnecessary biopsies.  It has worked for me for the last 24 years and 3 melanoma primaries.  Pictures give you that independent eye.  They are what is used in the basic form of Mole Mapping which many derms use.  Monitor for change, not just basic appearance.  In the end, go with your gut feeling.  You are in charge.

Janner
                Participant

UriahPH
                  Participant
                    Thank you for thr reply. I’m not sure I’ve never paid attention to it really. So do you think it’s not worth rushing for a biopsy based on the look of it?
                    UriahPH
                    Participant
                    Janner
                    Participant

Has it changed?  The only way I'd remove that mole (or any mole for that matter) is if it showed change.  ABCDs are fine but E and evolving is the one I live by.  Most of my moles has some atypical features but as long as they are stable, they aren't going anywhere. 

Janner
                      Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics