The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Shave Biopsy

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Shave Biopsy

Participant
      Hello to all of you. I felt funny posting while waiting for biopsy results…like why go there when I don’t know, right?
      On 6/10, I went to the derm for a rash on my arm (turns out it was because of my watch). While I was there, he talked me into an all-over body check because I’m 47 with fair skin, green eyes, some moles he could see… I clearly spend time in the sun from going to my daughter’s lacrosse games although I’m good with sunblock.
      On my back, underneath where my bra straps or bathing suit straps would cover it up, he said “oh, I don’t like the looks of that.” He whispered to his assistant that we needed to rule out melanoma.
      Because it was a shave biopsy and I didn’t see it, I convinced myself “hey, it’s probably not it. If it is, it’s early.”
      I share custody of my daughter with her father so I didn’t have anyone around to clean the site last week. I did it awkwardly, the best I could. But I still had no visual. I couldn’t really get one in the mirror.
      Last night my daughter did it for me and took a picture.
      Now I’m scared.
      It was the size of at least 4 pencil erasers. And there is still mole there. Multicolored.. I can see myself that the edges were wild. And if I’m honest, my back has been itchy for months, maybe longer. I wrote that off to dry skin caused by the heat in the winter.
      And there is still mole there. The doctor told me that I should have results by 6/24.
      He also said, “you seem like a very nice woman.”
      I thought that was an odd thing for a doctor to say. He was a nice man. But now looking back I’m wondering if he knew – this was after he took the biopsy. I felt like he was feeling bad for what he knew he was going to have to tell me.
      He also took a spot from behind my ear.
      Is this normal to have something remaining post-biopsy? Am I freaking for no reason?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Marksa2570
        Participant
          I recall at least one other guy who came on here with similar story to you. Large irregular mole, biopsy site left mole there. He showed a pic and I think several people were concerned for him – it was a very unusual looking mole. I don’t think he ever came back which to me assumes it was a good sign and he was fine. Usually you come back when things aren’t good and you need more info.

Unfortunately you won’t know for another week or so. Just try to live life as normal as you can and let’s hope you come back with good news too.

browndog319
            Participant
              Thank you. I appreciate it. Today’s the day I’m waiting to hear and I’m still waiting. I’ve already called to gently harass the doctor’s office. Waiting to hear back.

I’m trying to post a link to the picture of it below to see if any of the wise people who have gone through this have any thoughts.
              https://share.icloud.com/photos/0K-emsaTD8RLEJpQqz8uaS5uw#Princeton_Junction,_NJ
              Thank you. Fingers crossed they call before close of business today. I’ve been so patient and managed to stay pretty chill this past weekend. Now I’m in full I need to know mode.

browndog319
              Participant
                So I broke down and called the office. The results are there. They are on the doctor’s desk for review and then they’ll call me back. Probably tomorrow. They’re really dragging this out.
              regwash
              Participant
                Waiting to read an update from you! Praying for you in the meantime <3

One thing that helps immensely is written all over this website...these days melanoma is NOT a death sentence. There are people here who have been thriving for YEARS even after receiving a stage 4 diagnosis. Take one day at a time and focus on what you know, not what MIGHT happen. Right now you know it MAY be an issue. When you find out the results, then you can focus on what you know then to be true.

Praying for clear results!
                - Regina

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics