The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sentinel Lymph nodes

Forums General Melanoma Community Sentinel Lymph nodes

Participant

Since mine were identified and then removed, do other remaining lymph nodes become sentinel nodes? Just wondering in case I had another Melanoma (I hope not) that would also drain to the same area, the groin. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

The term sentinel means  a "Guard or look out ". The blue dye is used to trace the flow of lymph from the site of the lesion to the first lymph node in your system the fluid from this site drains to – sometimes it is more than one. So in the unlikey event that you had a second primary in the same leg- I would guess they could repeat the process and identify the node most likely to harbour melanoma cells. If I understand it correctly the sentinel node in the groin would change depending on the location of the melanoma and some sites may drain to two lymph nodes  because of the anatomy. No medical training remember – but that isthe way I understand it.

Hope the healing is progressing and that the gym sessions are helping with the swelling..

best wishes

Deb

debwray
          Participant

The term sentinel means  a "Guard or look out ". The blue dye is used to trace the flow of lymph from the site of the lesion to the first lymph node in your system the fluid from this site drains to – sometimes it is more than one. So in the unlikey event that you had a second primary in the same leg- I would guess they could repeat the process and identify the node most likely to harbour melanoma cells. If I understand it correctly the sentinel node in the groin would change depending on the location of the melanoma and some sites may drain to two lymph nodes  because of the anatomy. No medical training remember – but that isthe way I understand it.

Hope the healing is progressing and that the gym sessions are helping with the swelling..

best wishes

Deb

debwray
            Participant

best wishes

Deb

ed williams
              Participant

Hi Aloha14, it is an interesting question!!! Since SNB are used as a staging tool, it would only be usefull if you had another Melanoma that wasn't caught early. If a person with early stage melanoma follows the advice that Janner gives of using photo's and frequent derm follow up, then the need should not arise!!!Best wishes!!!Ed

Aloha14
                  Participant

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to be checking my skin and would go straight to dermatology if a spot didn't look right. I'm being put on a dermatology app't schedule after my Jan. App't. 

Aloha14
                    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to be checking my skin and would go straight to dermatology if a spot didn't look right. I'm being put on a dermatology app't schedule after my Jan. App't. 

Aloha14
                      Participant

ed williams
                      Participant

Hi Aloha14, it is an interesting question!!! Since SNB are used as a staging tool, it would only be usefull if you had another Melanoma that wasn't caught early. If a person with early stage melanoma follows the advice that Janner gives of using photo's and frequent derm follow up, then the need should not arise!!!Best wishes!!!Ed

ed williams
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics