The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sentinel lymph node biopsy and micromet controversy

Forums General Melanoma Community Sentinel lymph node biopsy and micromet controversy

• Replies
      JC
      Participant

What does this mean to a layperson?

CarolA
          Participant

Back in March 2005, my Sentinal Node Biopsy (SNB) produced two nodes with small evidence of melanoma, making me stage III.  My doctor asked me if I wanted to participate in a "study."  While I could proceed to have a total lymph node dissection (LND) (left underarm, axilla), this study was to validate ( as best as I can recall) was noted, that 80% of the time, total LND revealed no additional melanoma.   I'm sure he added more to this, more that I did not understand at the time, about survival rates not being increased by having  LND, vs. survival rates for those having jsut a SNB.   I was advised that I would be monitored via ultra-sound (U/S), quite routinely,  as I recall having at least 3 of them done.   I trusted my doctor, felt assured with being monitored.  The last U/S detected one lymph node to be in the size parameters that my oncologist recommended to do a LND in October 2005.   That node and the other 27 removed had no evidence of melanoma!!

I hope this, probably, over-simplified explanation of my situation helps you partially understand some of this link.

FYI, since that time, I developed recurrences ON my left breast (onset Oct 2007)  After several excissions, I ultimately had my left breast removed (which confuses the heck out of everyone, preferring to think I had "breast" cancer…sigh….) in May 2008.   I have been blessed to be NED since that date.   I did not do any adjuvant therapy (interferon or radiation).  And I am not shy to correct the misconception, that I HAVE melanoma, NOT breast cancer.

CarolA

JerryfromFauq
            Participant

Too many people lisstened to Dr Oz name cancers by where they are located, not by the actual type they are.  People used to ask me about my LUNG cancer.  EDUCATION!

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Too many people lisstened to Dr Oz name cancers by where they are located, not by the actual type they are.  People used to ask me about my LUNG cancer.  EDUCATION!

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

POW
                  Participant

Good explanation, Carol. Thank you. 

Yes, WLE plus sentinal node biopsy is necessary. But going on to remove dozens or scores of lymph nodes "just in case"? With the associated pain, scaring, lymphedema, and damage to the immune system? That is what is under dispute. 

This reminds me that for years US surgeons insisted on doing radical mastectomies "just in case" when Canadian and European surgeons had switched to lumpectomies. Finally, 15 years later, US surgeons decided that lumpectomies plus close follow-up was the better choice in most cases.

POW
                    Participant

Yes, WLE plus sentinal node biopsy is necessary. But going on to remove dozens or scores of lymph nodes "just in case"? With the associated pain, scaring, lymphedema, and damage to the immune system? That is what is under dispute. 

This reminds me that for years US surgeons insisted on doing radical mastectomies "just in case" when Canadian and European surgeons had switched to lumpectomies. Finally, 15 years later, US surgeons decided that lumpectomies plus close follow-up was the better choice in most cases.

POW
                      Participant

CarolA
                        Participant

Back in March 2005, my Sentinal Node Biopsy (SNB) produced two nodes with small evidence of melanoma, making me stage III.  My doctor asked me if I wanted to participate in a "study."  While I could proceed to have a total lymph node dissection (LND) (left underarm, axilla), this study was to validate ( as best as I can recall) was noted, that 80% of the time, total LND revealed no additional melanoma.   I'm sure he added more to this, more that I did not understand at the time, about survival rates not being increased by having  LND, vs. survival rates for those having jsut a SNB.   I was advised that I would be monitored via ultra-sound (U/S), quite routinely,  as I recall having at least 3 of them done.   I trusted my doctor, felt assured with being monitored.  The last U/S detected one lymph node to be in the size parameters that my oncologist recommended to do a LND in October 2005.   That node and the other 27 removed had no evidence of melanoma!!

I hope this, probably, over-simplified explanation of my situation helps you partially understand some of this link.

FYI, since that time, I developed recurrences ON my left breast (onset Oct 2007)  After several excissions, I ultimately had my left breast removed (which confuses the heck out of everyone, preferring to think I had "breast" cancer…sigh….) in May 2008.   I have been blessed to be NED since that date.   I did not do any adjuvant therapy (interferon or radiation).  And I am not shy to correct the misconception, that I HAVE melanoma, NOT breast cancer.

CarolA

CarolA
                          Participant

CarolA

EmilyandMike
                            Participant

What this article means to me:

1) This confirmed that the top doctors cant agree ….so we really need educate ourselves on the pros and cons melanoma treatment.

2) They agree that SLNB is useful in prognosis.  They disagree abut the benefits of the CLND.

3) We need better data on the importance of micro mets in the nodes – the docs disagree on the importance.

EmilyandMike
                              Participant

1) This confirmed that the top doctors cant agree ….so we really need educate ourselves on the pros and cons melanoma treatment.

2) They agree that SLNB is useful in prognosis.  They disagree abut the benefits of the CLND.

3) We need better data on the importance of micro mets in the nodes – the docs disagree on the importance.

EmilyandMike
                                Participant

JC
                                Participant

JC
                                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics