The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sensitive subject. Extreamly worried

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Sensitive subject. Extreamly worried

Participant

Hello All,

I am female 40 y.o. stage 1B patient (diagnosed in 2004). About 3 weeks ago I noticed strange bump on my vulva. It was slightly raised but I cannot say it is a mole because it appeared being in/under the skin. When I tried to define its shape by palpation, I cannot define it for sure. The color was reddish but that goes away when you press on it. The best way to describe it is that it is an induration in the upper part of the skin, which is raised. I was over the hill with worry. Saw OB/GYN who thought that it was a blocked folicle and said come back in 2 weeks if it doesn.t go away. This lesion was bothering me when I was walking (kind of burning sensation), besides, it had an erosion and scab on and off. Today (in 2 weeks) I saw OB/GYN who took it out for me (I insisted) and sent it away for pathology. He believes it is nothing and I am a crazy patient but I am very stressed thinking about what it may be. Can second primary of metastasis of cutaneous melanoma present in vulva???? How would it look like in vulva??? I am very, very worried. Thanks for listening.

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

I know the waiting is the worst part and I'm not a doctor and I have no experience with what you're talking about specifically, but in general it seems like many times we are sure something is going to be something really bad, when everyone else is telling us to calm down because it probably isn't what we think it is, and usually it turns out not to be what we think.  Try to take a deep breath and take some comfort while waiting that in all likelihood it is something other than what you think – our minds tend to race to the worst possible scenario.

JC
          Participant

I know the waiting is the worst part and I'm not a doctor and I have no experience with what you're talking about specifically, but in general it seems like many times we are sure something is going to be something really bad, when everyone else is telling us to calm down because it probably isn't what we think it is, and usually it turns out not to be what we think.  Try to take a deep breath and take some comfort while waiting that in all likelihood it is something other than what you think – our minds tend to race to the worst possible scenario.

JC
            Participant

Swanee
              Participant

I can understand your concerns and the uncontrollable urge to worry about it.  You obviously have acted very quickly and I think that is wise on your part, it is so hard to say what this growth might be.  There are so many things that change around the age of 40 for women as they  enter the peri menopause and menopause years.  I will keep positive thoughts for you that this is some benign growth that has been removed and not to return.  It's hard once you've been touched by melanoma, to not default to it.   I recently had an experience myself and I immediately thought it must be another tumor….but it wasn't…..just physical changes occuring from the aging process.  Hopefully someone on this site can offer you more…medically speaking, or encouragement to get you through this until you have an answer.  The most important thing with melanoma is to catch it early and sounds like you have been diligent in that regard.  Best wishes for a good pathology report and a melanoma free future!  Take care.

Swanee
                Participant

I can understand your concerns and the uncontrollable urge to worry about it.  You obviously have acted very quickly and I think that is wise on your part, it is so hard to say what this growth might be.  There are so many things that change around the age of 40 for women as they  enter the peri menopause and menopause years.  I will keep positive thoughts for you that this is some benign growth that has been removed and not to return.  It's hard once you've been touched by melanoma, to not default to it.   I recently had an experience myself and I immediately thought it must be another tumor….but it wasn't…..just physical changes occuring from the aging process.  Hopefully someone on this site can offer you more…medically speaking, or encouragement to get you through this until you have an answer.  The most important thing with melanoma is to catch it early and sounds like you have been diligent in that regard.  Best wishes for a good pathology report and a melanoma free future!  Take care.

Swanee
                  Participant

Tim–MRF

I understand your anxiety, and certainly hope your doctor is right that it is nothing to worry about.  You know that the odds are definitely in your favor on that, right?

You may have a bit of a clue depending on the location of the spot.  Vulvar melanoma is relatively rare, and is broadly divided into two categories.  If the spot is on the labia minor or clitoris it is almost always mucosal melanoma.  If it is on the labia major it is generally considered cutaneous melanoma.  

In other words, if your spot is on the inner, mucoid area then it would not be related to your prior bout with cutaneous melanoma.  Cutaneous melanoma and mucosal melanoma are genetically distinct diseases.

So, the likelihood overall is that this is nothing.  If the spot is on the inner portion of the vulva, that likelihood goes up a lot.

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

I understand your anxiety, and certainly hope your doctor is right that it is nothing to worry about.  You know that the odds are definitely in your favor on that, right?

You may have a bit of a clue depending on the location of the spot.  Vulvar melanoma is relatively rare, and is broadly divided into two categories.  If the spot is on the labia minor or clitoris it is almost always mucosal melanoma.  If it is on the labia major it is generally considered cutaneous melanoma.  

In other words, if your spot is on the inner, mucoid area then it would not be related to your prior bout with cutaneous melanoma.  Cutaneous melanoma and mucosal melanoma are genetically distinct diseases.

So, the likelihood overall is that this is nothing.  If the spot is on the inner portion of the vulva, that likelihood goes up a lot.

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Janner
                          Participant

It seems to me if you had a solid tumor, you should be able to palpate it to some extent.  When you have color changes when pressed upon, that typically means there are blood vessels causing the color change.  (Just like pressing on a sunburn and watching the skin pale).  It seems to me that this sounds more cyst-like than solid tumor. 

You neglected to say where your primary was, but I'd say the vulva would not be a common place for a  metastasis.  As for a new primary, it's possible but again your lesion doesn't present like a new primary.  I think the general area lends itself to many more common benign things than melanoma.  In addition, it's gone.  Pre-worry never helped anyone.  I'd worry ONLY if the pathology says this IS something to worry about. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

It seems to me if you had a solid tumor, you should be able to palpate it to some extent.  When you have color changes when pressed upon, that typically means there are blood vessels causing the color change.  (Just like pressing on a sunburn and watching the skin pale).  It seems to me that this sounds more cyst-like than solid tumor. 

You neglected to say where your primary was, but I'd say the vulva would not be a common place for a  metastasis.  As for a new primary, it's possible but again your lesion doesn't present like a new primary.  I think the general area lends itself to many more common benign things than melanoma.  In addition, it's gone.  Pre-worry never helped anyone.  I'd worry ONLY if the pathology says this IS something to worry about. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                              Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Linny
                                Participant

The fact that the reddish color goes away when you press on it would seem to indicate some sort of inflammatory condition. If it's on the outside skin it could even be something as simple as an ingrown hair or a pimple. So there are other things it can be besides melanoma. But, I don't blame you for getting it checked out.

I had a similar scare with an ingrown hair near my surgical site. I didn't know what this red bump was, other than it came on suddenly, and it hurt. But when I pressed on it, the redness went away. Melanoma was on the back of my mind but a more immediate concern was the possibility of an infection setting in at the site from which my lymph nodes had been removed. Fortunately, everything turned out all right and I pray that it will be all right for you as well.

Linny
                                  Participant

The fact that the reddish color goes away when you press on it would seem to indicate some sort of inflammatory condition. If it's on the outside skin it could even be something as simple as an ingrown hair or a pimple. So there are other things it can be besides melanoma. But, I don't blame you for getting it checked out.

I had a similar scare with an ingrown hair near my surgical site. I didn't know what this red bump was, other than it came on suddenly, and it hurt. But when I pressed on it, the redness went away. Melanoma was on the back of my mind but a more immediate concern was the possibility of an infection setting in at the site from which my lymph nodes had been removed. Fortunately, everything turned out all right and I pray that it will be all right for you as well.

Linny
                                    Participant

A
                                      Participant

Thank you All for the support. I just received a call from my doctor's office: pathology showed benign polyp with an inflammation. I hate the fact how melanoma diagnosis makes us go through these scares.

A
                                        Participant

Thank you All for the support. I just received a call from my doctor's office: pathology showed benign polyp with an inflammation. I hate the fact how melanoma diagnosis makes us go through these scares.

Linny
                                            Participant

I am so glad to hear that it was nothing to worry about. Now go take a deep breath, relax, and go have a cocktail of your choice. Better yet, have hubby take you out for a nice dinner and a cocktail of your choice. smiley

Again, I am SO veyr happy for you!!!!

Linny
                                              Participant

I am so glad to hear that it was nothing to worry about. Now go take a deep breath, relax, and go have a cocktail of your choice. Better yet, have hubby take you out for a nice dinner and a cocktail of your choice. smiley

Linny
                                                Participant

A
                                                Participant

natasha
                                                  Participant

Hi!

Can it be Gerpes Simplex ?

natasha
                                                    Participant

Hi!

natasha
                                                      Participant

Hi!

Tina D
                                                        Participant

SO glad you got good news! 

Tina D
                                                          Participant

Tina D
                                                            Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics