The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Seizures?

Forums General Melanoma Community Seizures?

Participant

5 02:00

Hi,

My wife has stage iv melanoma and is on Pembrolizumab. Scans in december showed progression with nee tumors in her bones around her hip. No brain Activity on PET/CT.

She got her third IV yesterday and felt OK aside from Some pain around the breast bone. Blood OK, felt really good.

This night I woke up as she seemed to be choking. Called 911 and she is now in hospital. Had 3 attacks that look like seizure : epilepsy. Scan in an hour. 

Any ideas? Questions to ask?

Thanks
    Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        rick1981
        Participant

Ct shows several Brain mets, MRI tomorrow and then the treatment plan. Will ask for advice when I know more.

rick1981
          Participant

Ct shows several Brain mets, MRI tomorrow and then the treatment plan. Will ask for advice when I know more.

buffcody
              Participant

I had read and responded recently to your post on MIF.  I am sorry to hear that it has turned out to be what I suggested.  To possibly make lemonade out of what are now unquestionably lemons, if some kind of radiation is used to eliminate the brain tumors, there may be a symbiotic effect between that radiation and the anti-PD1 a combination that will help fight the cancer throughout the body by giving more of a boost to the immune system.  I don't think the research on that is definitive,  but there is certainly research that points in that direction.  I had had two infusions of ipi and was on the eve of my third when my two brain metastases were radiated.  I have had only one new occurrence of melanoma since and that may very well have been present already when  I received the radiation.  It's now almost two years since I had the last of my melanoma, a subcutaneous tumor, removed.  I very much hope that things move in a very positive direction for your wife.

Frank

If it would be of any help, feel free to contact me by email.

rick1981
                Participant

Hi Frank, which topic on MIF did you reply to before? Would like to read it again but cant find it. Thanks Rick 

rick1981
                  Participant

Hi Frank, which topic on MIF did you reply to before? Would like to read it again but cant find it. Thanks Rick 

rick1981
                    Participant

buffcody
                      Participant

I had read and responded recently to your post on MIF.  I am sorry to hear that it has turned out to be what I suggested.  To possibly make lemonade out of what are now unquestionably lemons, if some kind of radiation is used to eliminate the brain tumors, there may be a symbiotic effect between that radiation and the anti-PD1 a combination that will help fight the cancer throughout the body by giving more of a boost to the immune system.  I don't think the research on that is definitive,  but there is certainly research that points in that direction.  I had had two infusions of ipi and was on the eve of my third when my two brain metastases were radiated.  I have had only one new occurrence of melanoma since and that may very well have been present already when  I received the radiation.  It's now almost two years since I had the last of my melanoma, a subcutaneous tumor, removed.  I very much hope that things move in a very positive direction for your wife.

Frank

buffcody
                        Participant

Frank

rick1981
                        Participant

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hi Rick,

So sorry you and your wife are dealing with this.  Frank (Buff Cody) makes a good point.  More and more research in specific studies and antedotal evidence in those of us who have lived it, indicate synergistic benefits between systemic melanoma treatment and radiation.  In my Nivo trial…NONE of the folks who had radiated brain mets have had brain mets recur thus far.  These posts may help: 

Benefits seen when SRS is combined with ipi:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/01/ipi-and-radiationa-good-combo-for.html

Benefits when SRS is combined with anti-PD1:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/12/srs-combined-with-anti-pd1-makes-things.html

Safety demonstrated with SRS and BRAFi from ASCO, June 2014:  On-demand Gamma Knife combined with BRAF inhibitors for the treatment of melanoma brain metastases.
                            Abstract 9083 J Clin Oncol  Marqueste, Carron, Delsanti, et al (out of France)

Cases of radiosensitization after conventional radiation therapy in BRAFi treated patients had caused concern about using this combo.  In this study, blind review by 2 independent observers of brain MRI f/u scans and survival assessment in all patients treated with Gamma knife and BRAFi at a single institution, was completed.  Gamma knife was done on 30 patients who had previously been given BRAFi, 24 patients were under BRAFi treatment (with only 4 of those interrupting the BRAFi for the gamma knife procedure) and 15 patients had Gamma knife before starting BRAFi.  Out of 263 brain mets treated, only 3 edemas and 3 hemorrhages were detected within 2 months of gamma knife and 4/7 were noted later.  No brain met radiation necrosis and no scalp radiation dermatitis occurred.  Neither the MRI features nor the incidence of the rare adverse events were deemed unexpected in such a population.  Conclusion:  This series does not show immediate radiotoxicity nor radiation-recall in BRAFi patients treated with Gamma knife.  Interrupting  BRAFi for stereotactic radiosurgery of brain mets seems useless.
                            So…the fears about combining BRAF therapy and radiotherapy seem unfounded…combo = good!

Hope that helps.  Wish you and your wife my best.  Celeste

rick1981
                              Participant

Hi both,

thanks so much for your replies.

after the third pembro we were about to start radiation of three bone tumors. To treat the pain but indeed also hoping it would be synergistic.

we have heard that she has around 10 Mets in her brain not sure about size and location.

we are in our local hospital now. Oncologist thought there were too many for targeted radiation. But our melanoma expert will see us tomorrow in Brussels and we'll get a more high def MRI then.

will keep you posted

rick1981
                                Participant

Hi both,

after the third pembro we were about to start radiation of three bone tumors. To treat the pain but indeed also hoping it would be synergistic.

we have heard that she has around 10 Mets in her brain not sure about size and location.

we are in our local hospital now. Oncologist thought there were too many for targeted radiation. But our melanoma expert will see us tomorrow in Brussels and we'll get a more high def MRI then.

will keep you posted

rick1981
                                  Participant

Hi both,

will keep you posted

buffcody
                                    Participant

Rick,

You never know which forum I am going to show up on.

It might be worth your while to watch the webinar on the other site about brain radiation, specifically on SRS (gamma knife).  It discusses the SRS procedure being used on considerably more sites than your wife would need.  There may be other reasons for adopting whole brain radiation, but the gamma knife procedure can be used, all other things being equal, on many sites.  It may depend on specific cancer center policies of a limit on individual tumors to be radiated.  So seeking out a second opinion from another center might be something to be done before deciding on whole brain radiation.

I have known people for whom whole brain radiation has been very successful and has not caused unfortunate side effects, but these can happen.  I am sure for some people there is no real option.  For others there is, and figuring that out for your wife will be a joint project for the two of you and the "experts," who may have varying opinions.  Good luck on your vital research.

Frank

buffcody
                                      Participant

Rick,

It might be worth your while to watch the webinar on the other site about brain radiation, specifically on SRS (gamma knife).  It discusses the SRS procedure being used on considerably more sites than your wife would need.  There may be other reasons for adopting whole brain radiation, but the gamma knife procedure can be used, all other things being equal, on many sites.  It may depend on specific cancer center policies of a limit on individual tumors to be radiated.  So seeking out a second opinion from another center might be something to be done before deciding on whole brain radiation.

I have known people for whom whole brain radiation has been very successful and has not caused unfortunate side effects, but these can happen.  I am sure for some people there is no real option.  For others there is, and figuring that out for your wife will be a joint project for the two of you and the "experts," who may have varying opinions.  Good luck on your vital research.

Frank

rick1981
                                        Participant

Hi Frank,

Thanks for all your advice. You know reading on these forums about WBR, it sounds a bit like shock therapy for mentally ill like in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next. It can't be that bad no, otherwise they wouldn't use it as much?! I hope…

You mentioned you know some people for whom WBR worked well – do you know the reason they did WBR, the situation they were in (number, size of the mets) and the outcome. Same for those with strong side effects, how bad can the damage be for the cognifitive function (or others)?

Thanks, Rick

rick1981
                                          Participant

Hi Frank,

Thanks for all your advice. You know reading on these forums about WBR, it sounds a bit like shock therapy for mentally ill like in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next. It can't be that bad no, otherwise they wouldn't use it as much?! I hope…

You mentioned you know some people for whom WBR worked well – do you know the reason they did WBR, the situation they were in (number, size of the mets) and the outcome. Same for those with strong side effects, how bad can the damage be for the cognifitive function (or others)?

Thanks, Rick

rick1981
                                            Participant

Hi Frank,

Thanks, Rick

buffcody
                                              Participant

Rick,

Frank

rick1981
                                                Participant

Thanks Celeste.

About your nivo trial, do you know if our "colleagues" had brain mets that exsiting before nivo or did some also get them during the immunotheraphy – wonder if it makes a difference? My wife's on Keytruda (3rd infusion, last on the day of the seizures) and they brain mets either developed during the "free fall" period before Keytruda (when previous treatment failed) or during its early weeks.

Also, did they have many mets (my wife has at least 11)?

We're fighting for SRS or Gamma Knife but so far they recommended WBR because: it's relatively low dose apparently vs SRS and it can also treat tiny mets that are not visible on the scan and SRS could overlook.

Thanks, Rick

rick1981
                                                  Participant

Thanks Celeste.

About your nivo trial, do you know if our "colleagues" had brain mets that exsiting before nivo or did some also get them during the immunotheraphy – wonder if it makes a difference? My wife's on Keytruda (3rd infusion, last on the day of the seizures) and they brain mets either developed during the "free fall" period before Keytruda (when previous treatment failed) or during its early weeks.

We're fighting for SRS or Gamma Knife but so far they recommended WBR because: it's relatively low dose apparently vs SRS and it can also treat tiny mets that are not visible on the scan and SRS could overlook.

Thanks, Rick

rick1981
                                                    Participant

Thanks Celeste.

Thanks, Rick

Bubbles
                                                      Participant

Hey Risk,

At first patients were not (in theory) admitted to either arm (resected arm vs nonresected) of my nivo trial with untreated brain mets.  I had had one met treated with SRS previous to admission.  However, at the time of trial admission another brain met was showing up on MRI.  After discussion with neuro peeps, Weber allowed me to join because it was still "minimal disease" (3-4mm) and radiologists "could not definitively say FOR SURE, that it was a met".  Another lady's scans had been mis-read, not noting what was probably meningeal disease and she got in as well. 

In my NED arm, 10 of the 33 of us had prior brain mets.  9 of those had prior radiation as part of eradication.  Here's what the report said:  "Brain metastasis subgroup:  10 patients with resected CNS disease were enrolled.  3 in cohort 1, 2 in cohort 2, and 6 in cohort 3.  Only 2 of these 10 patients have relapsed after median follow up time of 22.5 months, both were in cohort 1.  The first patient completed all doses of study drugs and developed a new solitary lung met that was resected after 47 months on protocol; she again has no clinical evidence of disease.  The second was diagnosed with recurrent CNS disease after her first treatment with study drugs and expired 3 weeks from start of protocol from CNS hemorrhage."  So, the lady with CNS disease expired in 3 weeks.  My tumor disappeared from the MRI after the first 3 months and has not returned.  So far…NONE of us have had any additional CNS lesions.  Here is the report from my NED arm:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/12/cest-moi-results-from-33-raties-in-my.html 

Here is the best I've been able to put together from my sister, nonresected arm as well as the fact that they finally DID accept some patients with known, currently active brain mets….other than below….I have no additional results on that particular group:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/03/9-months-after-nivolumab-trialstats-fu.html

The important points for you are these:

In the Stage IV metastatic melanoma, NON-resected arm:

• In a previous study with Nivo, 107 patients were treated every 2 weeks for 2 years with a median survival of 16.8 months.
                                                        • In THIS arm of the Moffitt study, 105 patients have been treated in the manner I was, getting Nivo every 2 weeks for 6 months, then every 3 months for 2 additional years.  The median survival has been 16.7 months.  
                                                        • So…survival was equivalent with less med, fewer trips to the doc, and with sicker patients (ocular mel and a few others were allowed that were not in the first study) in the Moffitt trial.
                                                        • Thus far, the Kaplan-Meier curve at 2 years is hanging at about 20%, but folks at Moffitt feel it will settle out around 25%.

Additional Cohort 6 added:

• How this cohort is defined specifically, how many have been enrolled in total, how many may still be enrolled, I do not know, however:
                                                        • 5 patients in this cohort were admitted with brain mets.
                                                        • 4 were treated (I presume by radiation…though not certain)
                                                        • BUT…1 experienced a COMPLETE RESPONSE with just Nivo!!!!!  (Awesome, right???!!)

In regard to WBR vs SRS:  Obviously you and your wife have to do what you think is best under your current circumstance no matter what anybody thinks.  You have to do what is right for you.  11 brain mets are a significantly difficult situation.  I would try to get a second radiology onc opinion if possible.  The other thought re that topic, is that sometimes the angle of SRS required to reach all mets at once would cause significant passage through healthy tissue, but by dividing the mets into 2 or 3 groupings for treatment can decrease that problem.  While you are correct in that many folks did once hold with the notion that WBR would prevent the healthy brain tissue from additional brain met development….that has not really proven out.  Here is some data. 

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045%2809%2970263-3/fulltext

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/overview-of-treatments-for-melanoma.html

Specifically this, from the prior link: 

Radiotherapy:
                                                        Surgical treatment alone is not sufficient for prolonging survival.  Historically, whole brain  radiotherapy (WBRT) has been used to augment surgical resection….  However, SRS is the treatment of choice for patients who are not surgical candidates in an effort to "save the brain."  Melanomas are less sensitive to RT than, for example, lymphomas are, so the efficacy of WBRT is lower. Moreover, the long term cognitive "costs" are high.  Focused RT minimizes the neurocognitive deficits.  Hence, whenever possible, WBRT should be delayed or avoided if other treatment options are available.  The advent of effective systemic treatments (ipi, vermurafenib) to treat MBMs may further change the cost-benefit ratio in favor of SRS.  A new paradigm might include SRS to provide local control followed by systemic therapy to treat and prevent "micro"-brain mets.

I don't know if any of that helps, or just makes things more confusing.  Think out your options.  Then go with what the two of you think best.  Hang in there.  I will be thinking of you both and wishing you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                                        Participant

Hey Risk,

At first patients were not (in theory) admitted to either arm (resected arm vs nonresected) of my nivo trial with untreated brain mets.  I had had one met treated with SRS previous to admission.  However, at the time of trial admission another brain met was showing up on MRI.  After discussion with neuro peeps, Weber allowed me to join because it was still "minimal disease" (3-4mm) and radiologists "could not definitively say FOR SURE, that it was a met".  Another lady's scans had been mis-read, not noting what was probably meningeal disease and she got in as well. 

In my NED arm, 10 of the 33 of us had prior brain mets.  9 of those had prior radiation as part of eradication.  Here's what the report said:  "Brain metastasis subgroup:  10 patients with resected CNS disease were enrolled.  3 in cohort 1, 2 in cohort 2, and 6 in cohort 3.  Only 2 of these 10 patients have relapsed after median follow up time of 22.5 months, both were in cohort 1.  The first patient completed all doses of study drugs and developed a new solitary lung met that was resected after 47 months on protocol; she again has no clinical evidence of disease.  The second was diagnosed with recurrent CNS disease after her first treatment with study drugs and expired 3 weeks from start of protocol from CNS hemorrhage."  So, the lady with CNS disease expired in 3 weeks.  My tumor disappeared from the MRI after the first 3 months and has not returned.  So far…NONE of us have had any additional CNS lesions.  Here is the report from my NED arm:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/12/cest-moi-results-from-33-raties-in-my.html 

Here is the best I've been able to put together from my sister, nonresected arm as well as the fact that they finally DID accept some patients with known, currently active brain mets….other than below….I have no additional results on that particular group:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/03/9-months-after-nivolumab-trialstats-fu.html

• In a previous study with Nivo, 107 patients were treated every 2 weeks for 2 years with a median survival of 16.8 months.
                                                          • In THIS arm of the Moffitt study, 105 patients have been treated in the manner I was, getting Nivo every 2 weeks for 6 months, then every 3 months for 2 additional years.  The median survival has been 16.7 months.  
                                                          • So…survival was equivalent with less med, fewer trips to the doc, and with sicker patients (ocular mel and a few others were allowed that were not in the first study) in the Moffitt trial.
                                                          • Thus far, the Kaplan-Meier curve at 2 years is hanging at about 20%, but folks at Moffitt feel it will settle out around 25%.

• How this cohort is defined specifically, how many have been enrolled in total, how many may still be enrolled, I do not know, however:
                                                          • BUT…1 experienced a COMPLETE RESPONSE with just Nivo!!!!!  (Awesome, right???!!)

In regard to WBR vs SRS:  Obviously you and your wife have to do what you think is best under your current circumstance no matter what anybody thinks.  You have to do what is right for you.  11 brain mets are a significantly difficult situation.  I would try to get a second radiology onc opinion if possible.  The other thought re that topic, is that sometimes the angle of SRS required to reach all mets at once would cause significant passage through healthy tissue, but by dividing the mets into 2 or 3 groupings for treatment can decrease that problem.  While you are correct in that many folks did once hold with the notion that WBR would prevent the healthy brain tissue from additional brain met development….that has not really proven out.  Here is some data. 

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045%2809%2970263-3/fulltext

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/02/overview-of-treatments-for-melanoma.html

Radiotherapy:
                                                          Surgical treatment alone is not sufficient for prolonging survival.  Historically, whole brain  radiotherapy (WBRT) has been used to augment surgical resection….  However, SRS is the treatment of choice for patients who are not surgical candidates in an effort to "save the brain."  Melanomas are less sensitive to RT than, for example, lymphomas are, so the efficacy of WBRT is lower. Moreover, the long term cognitive "costs" are high.  Focused RT minimizes the neurocognitive deficits.  Hence, whenever possible, WBRT should be delayed or avoided if other treatment options are available.  The advent of effective systemic treatments (ipi, vermurafenib) to treat MBMs may further change the cost-benefit ratio in favor of SRS.  A new paradigm might include SRS to provide local control followed by systemic therapy to treat and prevent "micro"-brain mets.

I don't know if any of that helps, or just makes things more confusing.  Think out your options.  Then go with what the two of you think best.  Hang in there.  I will be thinking of you both and wishing you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                                          Participant

Hey Risk,

Radiotherapy:

Bubbles
                                                            Participant

PS…if you put 'brain mets' in the search bubble to the top left of my blog…you can find many additional artcles that review various treatments if you are interested.  Yours, c

Bubbles
                                                              Participant

PS…if you put 'brain mets' in the search bubble to the top left of my blog…you can find many additional artcles that review various treatments if you are interested.  Yours, c

Bubbles
                                                                Participant

Bubbles
                                                                Participant

Hi Rick,

So sorry you and your wife are dealing with this.  Frank (Buff Cody) makes a good point.  More and more research in specific studies and antedotal evidence in those of us who have lived it, indicate synergistic benefits between systemic melanoma treatment and radiation.  In my Nivo trial…NONE of the folks who had radiated brain mets have had brain mets recur thus far.  These posts may help: 

Benefits seen when SRS is combined with ipi:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/01/ipi-and-radiationa-good-combo-for.html

Benefits when SRS is combined with anti-PD1:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/12/srs-combined-with-anti-pd1-makes-things.html

Safety demonstrated with SRS and BRAFi from ASCO, June 2014:  On-demand Gamma Knife combined with BRAF inhibitors for the treatment of melanoma brain metastases.

Cases of radiosensitization after conventional radiation therapy in BRAFi treated patients had caused concern about using this combo.  In this study, blind review by 2 independent observers of brain MRI f/u scans and survival assessment in all patients treated with Gamma knife and BRAFi at a single institution, was completed.  Gamma knife was done on 30 patients who had previously been given BRAFi, 24 patients were under BRAFi treatment (with only 4 of those interrupting the BRAFi for the gamma knife procedure) and 15 patients had Gamma knife before starting BRAFi.  Out of 263 brain mets treated, only 3 edemas and 3 hemorrhages were detected within 2 months of gamma knife and 4/7 were noted later.  No brain met radiation necrosis and no scalp radiation dermatitis occurred.  Neither the MRI features nor the incidence of the rare adverse events were deemed unexpected in such a population.  Conclusion:  This series does not show immediate radiotoxicity nor radiation-recall in BRAFi patients treated with Gamma knife.  Interrupting  BRAFi for stereotactic radiosurgery of brain mets seems useless.
                                                                  So…the fears about combining BRAF therapy and radiotherapy seem unfounded…combo = good!

Bubbles
                                                                  Participant

Hi Rick,

arthurjedi007
                                                                    Participant

Wow Rick. Sorry she has to go through that.

Someone posted on the 14th about ALS helping with brain Mets and radiation just a few posts before yours. Might be worth asking about.

I guess I'm one example of radiation and pd1 doing good. Two in my head were so small they couldn't hardly see them anymore. The one they radiated stayed about the same size. Granted mine were pushing on the brain not in the brain. So hopefully she has some good success.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                      Participant

Someone posted on the 14th about ALS helping with brain Mets and radiation just a few posts before yours. Might be worth asking about.

I guess I'm one example of radiation and pd1 doing good. Two in my head were so small they couldn't hardly see them anymore. The one they radiated stayed about the same size. Granted mine were pushing on the brain not in the brain. So hopefully she has some good success.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                        Participant

Artie

JustMeInCA
                                                                          Participant

Wishing you and your wife the best, Rick. So sorry to hear she now has to deal with this as well.

JustMeInCA
                                                                            Participant

Wishing you and your wife the best, Rick. So sorry to hear she now has to deal with this as well.

JustMeInCA
                                                                              Participant

rick1981
                                                                                Participant

Had the MRI today and they found 11 tumors. They are pretty small though and the reco of the onc plus radio therapist is WBR. I mentioned all advice was to go for SRS at all cost. They can do it but sincerely believe whole brain radiation in this case is best as its low dose is fine for small tumors, it works preventive (in not yet affected areas) and can always be followed by SRS if some increase in size. SRS is deemed tricky because of the amount and the angles needed can cause damage in healthy areas.

I feel they are great doctors so despite all advice maybe in our situation WBR is best after all?

Let me know if you disagree. Would like to start asap. Thanks Rick 

rick1981
                                                                                  Participant

Had the MRI today and they found 11 tumors. They are pretty small though and the reco of the onc plus radio therapist is WBR. I mentioned all advice was to go for SRS at all cost. They can do it but sincerely believe whole brain radiation in this case is best as its low dose is fine for small tumors, it works preventive (in not yet affected areas) and can always be followed by SRS if some increase in size. SRS is deemed tricky because of the amount and the angles needed can cause damage in healthy areas.

I feel they are great doctors so despite all advice maybe in our situation WBR is best after all?

rick1981
                                                                                    Participant

kylez
                                                                                        Participant

Rick, one of the guidelines here is for us to post from our own experiences, and not to offer medical advice, per se. Information and background for sure. That is a tricky balance. Your wife's doctors are truly the ones close to your case, and with a body of medical expertise we don't have. In my own case my doctors were able to do SRS. That for sure was my preference too, at least given the my particular set of brain mets, twice. In a different situation, tbough, I might have needed to decide or accept differently. I learned that location is a big factor in what the docs can do. If there's doubt, a second opinion could be useful. I skipped doing that the second time around because I din't have any doubts. God luck with your wife's treatment plan whichever way you go. -Kyle

kylez
                                                                                          Participant

Rick, one of the guidelines here is for us to post from our own experiences, and not to offer medical advice, per se. Information and background for sure. That is a tricky balance. Your wife's doctors are truly the ones close to your case, and with a body of medical expertise we don't have. In my own case my doctors were able to do SRS. That for sure was my preference too, at least given the my particular set of brain mets, twice. In a different situation, tbough, I might have needed to decide or accept differently. I learned that location is a big factor in what the docs can do. If there's doubt, a second opinion could be useful. I skipped doing that the second time around because I din't have any doubts. God luck with your wife's treatment plan whichever way you go. -Kyle

kylez
                                                                                            Participant

rick1981
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Kyle,

Fair point about the medical advice, but don't worry, it's just one of the places to get advice.

—-

To all of you: thanks, will decide today.

Our oncologist and RT in Brussels maintain their reco for WBR, even after a 2nd challenge from our side – and some advice from a US based melanoma expert (let's not name him, but he's one of the top guys we all know).
                                                                                                So we're preparing this route.

I'm making one last check this afternoon, at the other Brussels hospital recommend here for Gamma Knife in Belgium. Unless they are 100% confident that's the better option, we'll go for WBR.

Finally, the US based oncologist recommend to stop using dexamethasone (which was given to combat oedema) as it can reverse the effect of Pembro. Our Brussels onc agrees. Thought that's worth sharing. We stay on Dekapine to prevent the seizures from coming back.

Rick
                                                                                                rick1981
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Kyle,

Fair point about the medical advice, but don't worry, it's just one of the places to get advice.

—-

Our oncologist and RT in Brussels maintain their reco for WBR, even after a 2nd challenge from our side – and some advice from a US based melanoma expert (let's not name him, but he's one of the top guys we all know).

I'm making one last check this afternoon, at the other Brussels hospital recommend here for Gamma Knife in Belgium. Unless they are 100% confident that's the better option, we'll go for WBR.

Finally, the US based oncologist recommend to stop using dexamethasone (which was given to combat oedema) as it can reverse the effect of Pembro. Our Brussels onc agrees. Thought that's worth sharing. We stay on Dekapine to prevent the seizures from coming back.

Rick
                                                                                                  rick1981
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Kyle,

—-

Rick
                                                                                                  rick1981
                                                                                                  Participant

So we made a decision: we'll go from WBR.

The doctors is Brussels had a review of their initial reco and maintained it. I also went to a Gamma Knife Center in Brussels and although they "routinely" treat 10+ mets, the speed of her disease progression (nothing in December 3rd PET/CT, 12 mets on January 14th MRI) and the fact she has disease in other places, led them to conclude it's best to go with WBR.

WBR will also take out any tumors that have arisen in the last week or were too small to be seen on the scan. They also have 2-3wk waiting period which further increases chances of new mets.

So we'll make our mask for the WBR today and then start on Thursday. We are completely off dexamethasone, only taking dekapine now. And Voltaren for the bone mets, whose radiation we had to postpone until after the WBR.

In the meantime I hope the Pembro is actually working (see other post) which it really needs to given the speed of disease progression. We are running out of time. The only good thing: my wife is actually feeling pretty good apart from the pain due to the bone mets.

Will keep you posted!

If the Pembro doesn't work, we may move to Ipi or look into trials or TIL/IL2 I guess. As she responded quicky to the BRAF/MEK combo, we could look into getting into the panRAF trial. But frankly, if something doesn't start working soon, I'm fearing for the worst…

rick1981
                                                                                                    Participant

The doctors is Brussels had a review of their initial reco and maintained it. I also went to a Gamma Knife Center in Brussels and although they "routinely" treat 10+ mets, the speed of her disease progression (nothing in December 3rd PET/CT, 12 mets on January 14th MRI) and the fact she has disease in other places, led them to conclude it's best to go with WBR.

WBR will also take out any tumors that have arisen in the last week or were too small to be seen on the scan. They also have 2-3wk waiting period which further increases chances of new mets.

So we'll make our mask for the WBR today and then start on Thursday. We are completely off dexamethasone, only taking dekapine now. And Voltaren for the bone mets, whose radiation we had to postpone until after the WBR.

In the meantime I hope the Pembro is actually working (see other post) which it really needs to given the speed of disease progression. We are running out of time. The only good thing: my wife is actually feeling pretty good apart from the pain due to the bone mets.

Will keep you posted!

If the Pembro doesn't work, we may move to Ipi or look into trials or TIL/IL2 I guess. As she responded quicky to the BRAF/MEK combo, we could look into getting into the panRAF trial. But frankly, if something doesn't start working soon, I'm fearing for the worst…

Bubbles
                                                                                                        Participant

I'm glad you've settled on a plan!  Sometimes that is the hardest part.  Will hold you both in my heart on Thursday.  Hang in there.  Go for it and don't look back.  Yours, c

Bubbles
                                                                                                          Participant

I'm glad you've settled on a plan!  Sometimes that is the hardest part.  Will hold you both in my heart on Thursday.  Hang in there.  Go for it and don't look back.  Yours, c

Bubbles
                                                                                                            Participant

rick1981
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                Had the prep for the WBR today – well my wife. Made the mask and even though she's claustrophic it was no issue at all. Also put her in the CT for prep. Now they'll have to let the computer do some work and then we'll start on Thursday. 5 days only. And the machine they have is brand new, so we hope the side effects will be minimal and that the treatment is effective. Really hope no more new seizures or need for dexamethasone. We had to take that for a few days against the oedema but apparently it counteracts the PD1 so we stopped ASAP.

Will keep you posted.
                                                                                                                After the 5 days we plan to start the radiation for the bones as well. At the moment all tumors seem to be growing – well at least they hurt more and more: bones, liver, nodes under her armpit. May also be the temporary effect of PD1 that things sometimes get worse before they get better. Let's hope that's the case.

Rick

PS. Celeste thanks for all your care! 
                                                                                                                rick1981
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  Had the prep for the WBR today – well my wife. Made the mask and even though she's claustrophic it was no issue at all. Also put her in the CT for prep. Now they'll have to let the computer do some work and then we'll start on Thursday. 5 days only. And the machine they have is brand new, so we hope the side effects will be minimal and that the treatment is effective. Really hope no more new seizures or need for dexamethasone. We had to take that for a few days against the oedema but apparently it counteracts the PD1 so we stopped ASAP.

Will keep you posted.
                                                                                                                  After the 5 days we plan to start the radiation for the bones as well. At the moment all tumors seem to be growing – well at least they hurt more and more: bones, liver, nodes under her armpit. May also be the temporary effect of PD1 that things sometimes get worse before they get better. Let's hope that's the case.

Rick

rick1981
                                                                                                                  Participant

Will keep you posted.

Rick

rick1981
                                                                                                                  Participant

Will keep you posted!

rick1981
                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi all,

We made the mask for the WBRT on Tuesday and started the therapy yesterday. Mask-making was OK, even though my wife's claustrophohic, putting it on when hardened and fixed was a bit trickier but overall the quick 10min treatment (first of 5) was OK.

Back home she did start to feel the side effects: headache, fatigue, minor fever (38C) and difficulty to concentrate, eat and swallow. Also some minor ear pain and sore throat.
                                                                                                                      She slept well and in the morning felt a lot better.

It turned out there were software issues with the radiation machine (brand new!) so despite a 3-4 hour wait she couldn't get her treatment today. Hopefully it works again on Monday.

We did see our former oncologist (we moved to a melanoma specialist in Brussels) and he gave us the Xgeva shot we needed. On the way out he asked we why we had moved to immunotherapy after the progression on the BRAF/MEK combo. REALLY?! We have a 7mth old daughter and my wife is 33 – why would we not? Plus at that time there weren't even any brain mets.

Anyway… hopefully on Monday we can take another step in the treatment and in 10 days get the 4th PD1 infusion.

Best, Rick

rick1981
                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi all,

We made the mask for the WBRT on Tuesday and started the therapy yesterday. Mask-making was OK, even though my wife's claustrophohic, putting it on when hardened and fixed was a bit trickier but overall the quick 10min treatment (first of 5) was OK.

Back home she did start to feel the side effects: headache, fatigue, minor fever (38C) and difficulty to concentrate, eat and swallow. Also some minor ear pain and sore throat.

It turned out there were software issues with the radiation machine (brand new!) so despite a 3-4 hour wait she couldn't get her treatment today. Hopefully it works again on Monday.

We did see our former oncologist (we moved to a melanoma specialist in Brussels) and he gave us the Xgeva shot we needed. On the way out he asked we why we had moved to immunotherapy after the progression on the BRAF/MEK combo. REALLY?! We have a 7mth old daughter and my wife is 33 – why would we not? Plus at that time there weren't even any brain mets.

Anyway… hopefully on Monday we can take another step in the treatment and in 10 days get the 4th PD1 infusion.

Best, Rick

rick1981
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi all,

Best, Rick

rick1981
                                                                                                                          Participant

New seizure today couple days after her first treatment. Not as Sévère as last week (first) hope this doesnt mean we have to stop?!

rick1981
                                                                                                                            Participant

New seizure today couple days after her first treatment. Not as Sévère as last week (first) hope this doesnt mean we have to stop?!

rick1981
                                                                                                                              Participant

rick1981
                                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                                  Hi everybody,

This second seizure wasn't nearly as impactful as my wife's first (10 days ago). It was a "grand mal" type last time, and only "partial" now. We got home the same day and even at the ER she had already full body control and recollection of what happened.

She was scared to go to sleep last night (as this time she was conscious and therefore the mental impact was much more severe) but this morning she felt really good and we had the 2nd treatment of the WBRT. That actually went fine too, hardly any side effects compared to last time when she had strong fatigue, light fever, nausea and a headache.

So we have confidence we can get through this WBRT now and then just hope the PD1 is working, which is still uncertain.

They increased the dosage of an anti-seizure medicine called Depakine (from 300g/500g to 500g/800g) and we took 1x 4mg of dexamethasone today. The latter can reverse the effect of immunotherapy but not in this dosis.

Thanks again for all the support and glad we can keep on fighting!
                                                                                                                                  rick1981
                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                    Hi everybody,

This second seizure wasn't nearly as impactful as my wife's first (10 days ago). It was a "grand mal" type last time, and only "partial" now. We got home the same day and even at the ER she had already full body control and recollection of what happened.

She was scared to go to sleep last night (as this time she was conscious and therefore the mental impact was much more severe) but this morning she felt really good and we had the 2nd treatment of the WBRT. That actually went fine too, hardly any side effects compared to last time when she had strong fatigue, light fever, nausea and a headache.

So we have confidence we can get through this WBRT now and then just hope the PD1 is working, which is still uncertain.

They increased the dosage of an anti-seizure medicine called Depakine (from 300g/500g to 500g/800g) and we took 1x 4mg of dexamethasone today. The latter can reverse the effect of immunotherapy but not in this dosis.

rick1981
                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                      Hi everybody,

rick1981
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        My wife has her 5th and last brain radiation session today. Side effects are manageable. Biggest worry is to find the right level of dexamethason. Too little and my wife gets neurological effects of the tumors/WBRT (difficulty speaking, typing, controlling the right side of her mouth, numb fingers) up to the point we are afraid to fall asleep because she may get new seizures… too much and it may reverse the effect of the Pembro/PD1. Any of you found a right dosis? Our doctor says 4x 4mg is standard but understand we want to take as little as possible. She doesn't recommend further lowering though; we now take 2-3x 4mg per day. In addition to anti-seizure meds (Depakine).

Next Wednesday she'll have her 4th Pembro infusion and on Thursday a one-day, high-dose RT session for her hip area. Primarily to reduce the pain and get her off Voltaren if possible, and with a bit of hope for a synergistic effect with the immune therapy.

Will keep you posted,
                                                                                                                                        Rick
                                                                                                                                        rick1981
                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                          My wife has her 5th and last brain radiation session today. Side effects are manageable. Biggest worry is to find the right level of dexamethason. Too little and my wife gets neurological effects of the tumors/WBRT (difficulty speaking, typing, controlling the right side of her mouth, numb fingers) up to the point we are afraid to fall asleep because she may get new seizures… too much and it may reverse the effect of the Pembro/PD1. Any of you found a right dosis? Our doctor says 4x 4mg is standard but understand we want to take as little as possible. She doesn't recommend further lowering though; we now take 2-3x 4mg per day. In addition to anti-seizure meds (Depakine).

Next Wednesday she'll have her 4th Pembro infusion and on Thursday a one-day, high-dose RT session for her hip area. Primarily to reduce the pain and get her off Voltaren if possible, and with a bit of hope for a synergistic effect with the immune therapy.

Will keep you posted,
                                                                                                                                          Rick
                                                                                                                                          rick1981
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Will keep you posted,
                                                                                                                                            Rick
                                                                                                                                        Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics