The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Seeking input on Yervoy introduction vs maintenance

Forums General Melanoma Community Seeking input on Yervoy introduction vs maintenance

Participant

My husband had four infusions of 5mg of Yervoy Dec 2011 and Jan 2012. His scans in March showed tumors in brain, lungs, pancreas were either gone or inactive. His also has had gamma knife twice in past 8 months which may have contributed to shrinking of bain nets. His doctor was very excited and said he believed my husband was a very positive responder.

My husband had four infusions of 5mg of Yervoy Dec 2011 and Jan 2012. His scans in March showed tumors in brain, lungs, pancreas were either gone or inactive. His also has had gamma knife twice in past 8 months which may have contributed to shrinking of bain nets. His doctor was very excited and said he believed my husband was a very positive responder.

He has developed a large tumor on one lower leg in an area where he had wounds in the past. His onc.  is concidering re-introduction. My husband  is the only patient on yervoy and has relied on me to keep him updated him and current on yervoy from my research. When I asked why not maintenance rather than a full introduction which might be less destructive on a 72 year old man which heart problems, the doctor stated he was not familiar with maintenance. I have seen several posts about this and wondered how others have done on maintenance vs a complete re-introduction.

It is less than six months from starting the yervoy and considering the onc said he was a good responder I wonder if the yervoy may still be working and maintenance would be less aggressive.

Any thoughts……

Thanking you in advance for your input….

Linda

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Hello Linda,

My husband is on Yervoy (Ipi) Clinical Trial.  After he did the 4 doses then every 12 weeks he gets another infusion of Yervoy.  This is the way his clinical trial was set up.  He is on the 10 mg/kg and he started March 3, 2011.  Don't know about your situation as far as introduction or maintenance but was he on a clinical trial?  This might be why the difference.

Gene is down to 1 small lesion in the liver that is almost unmeasurable from one that was 5 x 6.  All of the others are gone and the one that was pushing on the C1-C2 spine shows new tissue growing replacing the melanoma.

Hope things work out for your husband.  I will keep you both in my prayers.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver to Gene)

Gene_S
          Participant

Hello Linda,

My husband is on Yervoy (Ipi) Clinical Trial.  After he did the 4 doses then every 12 weeks he gets another infusion of Yervoy.  This is the way his clinical trial was set up.  He is on the 10 mg/kg and he started March 3, 2011.  Don't know about your situation as far as introduction or maintenance but was he on a clinical trial?  This might be why the difference.

Gene is down to 1 small lesion in the liver that is almost unmeasurable from one that was 5 x 6.  All of the others are gone and the one that was pushing on the C1-C2 spine shows new tissue growing replacing the melanoma.

Gene_S
            Participant

Hello Linda,

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics