The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Searching for fellow fighters

Forums General Melanoma Community Searching for fellow fighters

Participant

Does anyone have any info on 2 fighters i have not seen any recent posts.They are Lisa13 and Jeff son of Bridette.Know they have a very tough fight and was wondering how they are doing.Been saying an extra prayer for both. Beat the Beast.     Al

Does anyone have any info on 2 fighters i have not seen any recent posts.They are Lisa13 and Jeff son of Bridette.Know they have a very tough fight and was wondering how they are doing.Been saying an extra prayer for both. Beat the Beast.     Al

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Bridgette posted 7/10 however she didn't say how Jeff was doing.  It has been weeks now since Lisa. I also have been looking for her at another site and she hasn't posted their either. I was able to find Lisa's e-mail on that site and hasn't responded.   Lisa was supposed to go to Moffit approx 3 weeks after her crainectomy – I'm quite concerned because I think she would have let us know if she got on the anti-pd1 trial if possible. 

Worried also,

Linda

Karin L
            Participant

Ditto. 

Karin L
              Participant

Ditto. 

Karin L
                Participant

Ditto. 

kylez
                  Participant

Lisa and I have some similarities in our treatment histories — GammaKnife, IPI, and Canadian neurosurgeons (mine in Californian now.) Hope she just wanted a break, and that she's resting and healing. 

kylez
                    Participant

Lisa and I have some similarities in our treatment histories — GammaKnife, IPI, and Canadian neurosurgeons (mine in Californian now.) Hope she just wanted a break, and that she's resting and healing. 

kylez
                      Participant

lhaley
                      Participant

Bridgette posted 7/10 however she didn't say how Jeff was doing.  It has been weeks now since Lisa. I also have been looking for her at another site and she hasn't posted their either. I was able to find Lisa's e-mail on that site and hasn't responded.   Lisa was supposed to go to Moffit approx 3 weeks after her crainectomy – I'm quite concerned because I think she would have let us know if she got on the anti-pd1 trial if possible. 

Worried also,

Linda

lhaley
                        Participant

Worried also,

Linda

s Mom
                          Participant

Hi Al,

It's hard to post good news when I have been reading so many sad posts as of late.   It just breaks my heart to hear about so many brave people fighting and having a rough time.  With that said, Jeff is doing really well.  His last scan (June 14) show significant tumor shrinkage in his liver (only 4 measurable tumors and the largest is 1.5 cm).  His lungs and brain (MRI) are all clear and his LDH is way down (150).  All other blood tests are normal.  He's eating and gaining weight (just about 1 pound a week).  He's up to 166 and he is 6'2" so he is still pretty skinny, but he looks good!!  And his hair is growing back!!  He does have some side pain from his SBRT liver radiation  – they radiated his liver before IL2 back in February and March.  His onc thinks the pain is ZEL interaction with radiated tissue, but it is manageable with ibuprofen.  His next scans are in September.  He's living life, going to work and enjoying the summer with his wife and kids.   We are so grateful for each blessed day (each blessed minute, really).  Keep him in your thoughts and prayers…we are still fighting and are hoping and praying for that durable remission.  Praying for all warriors out there – keep up the good fight and God Bless!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                            Participant

Hi Al,

It's hard to post good news when I have been reading so many sad posts as of late.   It just breaks my heart to hear about so many brave people fighting and having a rough time.  With that said, Jeff is doing really well.  His last scan (June 14) show significant tumor shrinkage in his liver (only 4 measurable tumors and the largest is 1.5 cm).  His lungs and brain (MRI) are all clear and his LDH is way down (150).  All other blood tests are normal.  He's eating and gaining weight (just about 1 pound a week).  He's up to 166 and he is 6'2" so he is still pretty skinny, but he looks good!!  And his hair is growing back!!  He does have some side pain from his SBRT liver radiation  – they radiated his liver before IL2 back in February and March.  His onc thinks the pain is ZEL interaction with radiated tissue, but it is manageable with ibuprofen.  His next scans are in September.  He's living life, going to work and enjoying the summer with his wife and kids.   We are so grateful for each blessed day (each blessed minute, really).  Keep him in your thoughts and prayers…we are still fighting and are hoping and praying for that durable remission.  Praying for all warriors out there – keep up the good fight and God Bless!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

aldakota22
                                Participant

Thank God.Much better to read such a wonderful uplifting post.May they only get better and better.You keep us up to speed on Jeff.Will keep in my prayers.Again very happy for you.      Al

aldakota22
                                  Participant

Thank God.Much better to read such a wonderful uplifting post.May they only get better and better.You keep us up to speed on Jeff.Will keep in my prayers.Again very happy for you.      Al

aldakota22
                                    Participant

JC
                                      Participant

Bridgette, you would recommend Dr Kaufman at Rush?  I'm also in the Chicago area, I know there is U of Chicago, Loyola, Northwestern, Lutheran General, etc….but you'd recommend Kaufman at Rush?  Also, is 150 LDH normal?  I had mine tested and my results said 0-200 was the normal range. . mine was like 167. . so I thought that was normal, but is that something I should be concerned about? 

Stage I for a year

JC
                                        Participant

Bridgette, you would recommend Dr Kaufman at Rush?  I'm also in the Chicago area, I know there is U of Chicago, Loyola, Northwestern, Lutheran General, etc….but you'd recommend Kaufman at Rush?  Also, is 150 LDH normal?  I had mine tested and my results said 0-200 was the normal range. . mine was like 167. . so I thought that was normal, but is that something I should be concerned about? 

Stage I for a year

JC
                                          Participant

Stage I for a year

s Mom
                                            Participant

Dear Anonymous,

Yes – Dr. Kaufman is excellent.  He is very kind and very compassionate.

Dr. Sigrid Hallemeyer at Lutheran General is also good 🙂

Your LDH is normal – nothing to worry about.  

Hope that helps.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                              Participant

Dear Anonymous,

Hope that helps.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                Participant

Dear Anonymous,

Hope that helps.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

JC
                                                  Participant

Thanks.  Is Kaufman involved with or have access to the most current clinical trials at Rush?  Or, if not, does he try to find ones for his patients at other places?  Is he among the best in Chicago in terms of cutting edge science/research, new therapies, etc.?

s Mom
                                                    Participant

Unfortunately, Chicago is considered a "second tier" melanoma center.  If you want cutting edge clinical trials, you have to go elsewhere.  Gajewski at U of C has a few that Dr. Kaufman doesn't have (BRAF and MEK combo and some vaccines).  

Hope that helps.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                                      Participant

Unfortunately, Chicago is considered a "second tier" melanoma center.  If you want cutting edge clinical trials, you have to go elsewhere.  Gajewski at U of C has a few that Dr. Kaufman doesn't have (BRAF and MEK combo and some vaccines).  

Hope that helps.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

JC
                                                        Participant

Have you tried going somewhere like Sloan Kettering or MD Anderson?  I know constantly going from Chicago to NY or Houston isn't easy, but if they have the most current trials, etc. . .

JC
                                                          Participant

Have you tried going somewhere like Sloan Kettering or MD Anderson?  I know constantly going from Chicago to NY or Houston isn't easy, but if they have the most current trials, etc. . .

JC
                                                            Participant

s Mom
                                                              Participant

Hope that helps.

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

JC
                                                                Participant

Thanks.  Is Kaufman involved with or have access to the most current clinical trials at Rush?  Or, if not, does he try to find ones for his patients at other places?  Is he among the best in Chicago in terms of cutting edge science/research, new therapies, etc.?

JC
                                                                  Participant

mclaus23
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      My dad is being treated by Dr Kaufman at Rush, he is stage 4. Dr Kaufman is amazing, He has been on this for AGES. I cannot say enough good things about him.
                                                                      mclaus23
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        and he was recommended by sloan-kettering so we did not have to travel. He is well aware of any cutting edge treatment (probably has known of them for ‘light years’ before us.)The dr is unreal. You can tell he lives and breathes melanoma treatments and explains everthing in great detail.
                                                                        mclaus23
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          and he was recommended by sloan-kettering so we did not have to travel. He is well aware of any cutting edge treatment (probably has known of them for ‘light years’ before us.)The dr is unreal. You can tell he lives and breathes melanoma treatments and explains everthing in great detail.
                                                                          mclaus23
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            mclaus23
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              My dad is being treated by Dr Kaufman at Rush, he is stage 4. Dr Kaufman is amazing, He has been on this for AGES. I cannot say enough good things about him.
                                                                              mclaus23
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                mclaus23
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  mclaus23
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    mclaus23
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      JC
                                                                                      Participant

Where did Jeff end up going outside of Chicago?

JC
                                                                                        Participant

JC
                                                                                          Participant

s Mom
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Al,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics