The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

search archive ???

Forums General Melanoma Community search archive ???

Participant

Anyone else having problems retrieving posts from the archive search.  I just did a search and tried to open the post.  The browser brought me back to the NEW forum.  I hope that's a temporary problem otherwise we have lost our best resource….

Jerry from Cape Cod

Anyone else having problems retrieving posts from the archive search.  I just did a search and tried to open the post.  The browser brought me back to the NEW forum.  I hope that's a temporary problem otherwise we have lost our best resource….

Jerry from Cape Cod

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        kwahlbin

Hi Jerry – it appears to be running really slow but it is returning the results for me and I can see the individual posts.  I will work on getting this fixed.  Sorry for the inconvienence.  – Kathy

kwahlbin

Hi Jerry – it appears to be running really slow but it is returning the results for me and I can see the individual posts.  I will work on getting this fixed.  Sorry for the inconvienence.  – Kathy

TinaR
            Participant

Hi Jerry,

I've been trying the search function all along and am unable to access info that I remember  in the archive. The search is very restrictive. It's virtually impossible to look for individuals. If you want to search  for someone because you remember they mentioned their treatment center…but all you  have is their name… you can't search if they used less than 3 letters IN their name …like JD ( who posted a lot on the Bulletin Board). The date requests are too open ended. How do I know how far the archive goes back or when the post was? I've not been able to search any one person since the changeover.

I've been going back a few times this week checking to see if it works. I can't find a damn post, even using the names of people I know have posted quite a lot over the last couple of years. Virtually useless unless you  have the exact words or time-frame.  If I had those-I wouldn't need the darn search!

How far back does the search go? Is the Archive of all posts on the site – Bullein Board and Off-Topic? Does the search extend to early MPIP posts or just MRF posts?

W.
                Participant

Parts of the archive are indexed by Google.

If you restrict your  Google  search with  "site:community.melanoma.org/cgi-bin/mpip", you will be able to find relevant results. For example: http://www.google.com/search?q=site:community.melanoma.org/cgi-bin/mpip+JD&hl=e

TinaR
                  Participant

Thanks- it works!  Can you find old Darkside posts in in a similar manner?

W.
                    Participant

No, I don't think so. If you try to find the darkside on the internet archive, it shows you this side: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.mpip.org/mac/bb/index.html

In other words: the darkside has never been indexed by search engines…

TinaR
                      Participant

Oh, that's good and bad.  Good the gross stuff  is gone /  Bad the fun … even worse ( for me)- I'll never replace what I'm looking for — lost forever. Damn computer crashes and Internet inconsistency- why two archived and not the other!  Who's in charge of this World Wide Web thing anyway? They are not doing a very good job ( of pleasing me angel).

On the upside…the name of that site is really cute…the "Way Back Machine"- adorable!  Thanks :).

TinaR
                        Participant

Oh, that's good and bad.  Good the gross stuff  is gone /  Bad the fun … even worse ( for me)- I'll never replace what I'm looking for — lost forever. Damn computer crashes and Internet inconsistency- why two archived and not the other!  Who's in charge of this World Wide Web thing anyway? They are not doing a very good job ( of pleasing me angel).

On the upside…the name of that site is really cute…the "Way Back Machine"- adorable!  Thanks :).

W.
                          Participant

No, I don't think so. If you try to find the darkside on the internet archive, it shows you this side: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.mpip.org/mac/bb/index.html

In other words: the darkside has never been indexed by search engines…

TinaR
                            Participant

Thanks- it works!  Can you find old Darkside posts in in a similar manner?

W.
                              Participant

Parts of the archive are indexed by Google.

If you restrict your  Google  search with  "site:community.melanoma.org/cgi-bin/mpip", you will be able to find relevant results. For example: http://www.google.com/search?q=site:community.melanoma.org/cgi-bin/mpip+JD&hl=e

TinaR
                              Participant

Hi Jerry,

I've been trying the search function all along and am unable to access info that I remember  in the archive. The search is very restrictive. It's virtually impossible to look for individuals. If you want to search  for someone because you remember they mentioned their treatment center…but all you  have is their name… you can't search if they used less than 3 letters IN their name …like JD ( who posted a lot on the Bulletin Board). The date requests are too open ended. How do I know how far the archive goes back or when the post was? I've not been able to search any one person since the changeover.

I've been going back a few times this week checking to see if it works. I can't find a damn post, even using the names of people I know have posted quite a lot over the last couple of years. Virtually useless unless you  have the exact words or time-frame.  If I had those-I wouldn't need the darn search!

How far back does the search go? Is the Archive of all posts on the site – Bullein Board and Off-Topic? Does the search extend to early MPIP posts or just MRF posts?

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics