The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Seafood after scans

Forums General Melanoma Community Seafood after scans

Hey friends, I had scans today and want seafood tonight…anything that says I shouldn’t? My scans were traumatic today. The power port put in last April after my surgery has always been questionable, but today we tried for two hours to get a blood draw. No go. And I have fragile veins that got blown three times…almost had to have scans without contrast, but finally got a vein. I liked my first port better that was put in 2008. I criied a lot. The stress of my port is now greater than the melanoma…. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Hey friends, I had scans today and want seafood tonight…anything that says I shouldn’t? My scans were traumatic today. The power port put in last April after my surgery has always been questionable, but today we tried for two hours to get a blood draw. No go. And I have fragile veins that got blown three times…almost had to have scans without contrast, but finally got a vein. I liked my first port better that was put in 2008. I criied a lot. The stress of my port is now greater than the melanoma…. Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Replies
      Josh
      Participant

Kimberly,

Full disclosure: I know nothing about seafood and nearly nothing about scans. I do know, however that I've had 20 or so scans in the past past 5 years and, as I was leaving the scan-room for these scans, never did someone turn to me and say, "Hey Josh, in addition to drinking lots of fluids tonight, please remember to forego the surf & turf." Never once. So I say to you, "Hey Kimberly, have some damn lobster why don't you! Stuffed with crab. And the crab stuffed with scallops. And the scallops with shrimp. And the lobster stuffed into a huge tuna. Garnished with caviar and served on a platter shaped like a fish. Live it up, girlfriend, you earned it!"

Josh
        Participant

Kimberly,

Full disclosure: I know nothing about seafood and nearly nothing about scans. I do know, however that I've had 20 or so scans in the past past 5 years and, as I was leaving the scan-room for these scans, never did someone turn to me and say, "Hey Josh, in addition to drinking lots of fluids tonight, please remember to forego the surf & turf." Never once. So I say to you, "Hey Kimberly, have some damn lobster why don't you! Stuffed with crab. And the crab stuffed with scallops. And the scallops with shrimp. And the lobster stuffed into a huge tuna. Garnished with caviar and served on a platter shaped like a fish. Live it up, girlfriend, you earned it!"

Swanee
            Participant

"DITTO"

Swanee
              Participant

"DITTO"

Swanee
                Participant

"DITTO"

mel123
                  Participant

Josh, you made me laugh! That doesn't happen very often on here, so thank you!

Kimberly, I'm really glad you had the seafood, I think that after the horrible time you had, you should've been allowed to eat anything and everything you'd like! "Tulobcrascash" (the name I just made up for Josh's creation) garnished with caviar it is! I'm sorry you had such a bad time with the scans  – I thought ports were supposed to make things easier! ๐Ÿ™

mel123
                    Participant

Kimberly, I'm really glad you had the seafood, I think that after the horrible time you had, you should've been allowed to eat anything and everything you'd like! "Tulobcrascash" (the name I just made up for Josh's creation) garnished with caviar it is! I'm sorry you had such a bad time with the scans  – I thought ports were supposed to make things easier! ๐Ÿ™

mel123
                      Participant

Josh
                      Participant

Kimberly,

Gene_S
                        Participant

My husband usually has scans on Friday's.  Well we like seafood and since more restaurants serve it on Friday's he almost always has fish on that day.  No one has ever said anything different.

Judy (loving wife of Gene-S)

Gene_S
                          Participant

My husband usually has scans on Friday's.  Well we like seafood and since more restaurants serve it on Friday's he almost always has fish on that day.  No one has ever said anything different.

Gene_S
                            Participant

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

Often eat seafood after scans.  (My wife likes my scan days, we eat out before returning to where we live.) 

On the subject of blocked ports, I do have a few words.  My first Bard port was implanted in 2007.  About three months later when I was getting another week of IL-2 they had trouble drawing blood from it.  I started having fevers which would go up (103) and down (100).  To make the story short, they found that the port apparently had bacteria in it when manufactured.  It was removed and another port implanted in the other chest in fall 2007 and it is still in and working great.  Watch for any fever. Do you have any tenderness where it is located?  My first port was always tender.  The current one got over the uinitial tenderness in a few days/weeks.   Hopefully your port problem is just a blockage that can be cleared (thinned out).

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Often eat seafood after scans.  (My wife likes my scan days, we eat out before returning to where we live.) 

On the subject of blocked ports, I do have a few words.  My first Bard port was implanted in 2007.  About three months later when I was getting another week of IL-2 they had trouble drawing blood from it.  I started having fevers which would go up (103) and down (100).  To make the story short, they found that the port apparently had bacteria in it when manufactured.  It was removed and another port implanted in the other chest in fall 2007 and it is still in and working great.  Watch for any fever. Do you have any tenderness where it is located?  My first port was always tender.  The current one got over the uinitial tenderness in a few days/weeks.   Hopefully your port problem is just a blockage that can be cleared (thinned out).

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics