The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scotch??

Forums General Melanoma Community Scotch??

Participant

My friend is buying her boyfriend a bottle of scotch that cost 400.00. I have never heard of something like that so I went on line and found much more expensive bottles.  One for 160,000… How crazy is that. Do any of you know a good bottle around 100.00?

My friend is buying her boyfriend a bottle of scotch that cost 400.00. I have never heard of something like that so I went on line and found much more expensive bottles.  One for 160,000… How crazy is that. Do any of you know a good bottle around 100.00?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

There are a lot of variation in the flavors of Scotch dependant on the region it comes from, and it's age. So something like Laphroaig tastes very different than Glenfiddich or Dalwhinnie.

For a hundred bucks, you can probably get a great 15 or 18 yr old single malt scotch. If this is a gift, it's a great gift!

You can't go wrong with any of the above brands, or Macallan!

A taste test is in order! If this is a gift for a Scotch lover, I say include this person in a group of 4, and go to a bar that has a bunch of high dollar scotches. Bring your Platinum Card and taste the top 8. This will only work if you are ALL willing to sip off the same glass! that way everyone gets to try some. You can get a scotch lesson from the barkeep AND from your scotch loving friend, and also see which variety he/she prefers.**

Scotch is an acquired taste. Some of it tastes like..you just paid 12 bucks for the chance to lick the bottom of an old charcoal bbq grill.

If you've got all this money lying around, you should just come here. We have single malts in the house from all regions of Scotland, though..sadly, not a single bottle that cost a hundred bucks, much less 500 bucks. You can try them all. And We'll go buy some new ones to make it a fair trial 🙂

I like the 15 yr old Glenfiddich Solera Reserve. But I don't think I've tried their 18 yr old…..

Dian

**Warning: do not try this taste test ALONE or you will not be able to find your way home

Nancylee
            Participant

You are not just a beautiful face! Wow, you know alot about Scotch. I have tasted expensive stuff and it smells and tastes like jet fuel. ( I have never tasted that)

I am sure you would really really have to love scotch and have an unlimited cash supply.

Bonnie Lea
              Participant

Ya a friend of ours swore by Glennfiddich.  No scotch drinkers here, but I much prefer   Grey Goose Vodka (french)  we have a couple of bottles of a blended scotch but no one here drinks it, so I give to friends who would either dislike or appreciate it.

dunno what it is.

Name is Ballantyne? 

dian in spokane
                Participant

Ballantine is a blended scotch, but a good one I think. I've never tried it. I like Grey Goose ok, but my favorite vodka is Ketel One.

Bonnie.. a few months ago when bob and I were in las vegas, we came back from breakfast and there was a full bottle of Grey Goose outside our hotel room door!! and a half empty bottle of jim beam (something else I don't drink)

Free Grey Goose!! it was almost like winnning on the slots!

dian in spokane
                  Participant

Ballantine is a blended scotch, but a good one I think. I've never tried it. I like Grey Goose ok, but my favorite vodka is Ketel One.

Bonnie.. a few months ago when bob and I were in las vegas, we came back from breakfast and there was a full bottle of Grey Goose outside our hotel room door!! and a half empty bottle of jim beam (something else I don't drink)

Free Grey Goose!! it was almost like winnning on the slots!

Bonnie Lea
                    Participant

Ya a friend of ours swore by Glennfiddich.  No scotch drinkers here, but I much prefer   Grey Goose Vodka (french)  we have a couple of bottles of a blended scotch but no one here drinks it, so I give to friends who would either dislike or appreciate it.

dunno what it is.

Name is Ballantyne? 

dian in spokane
                      Participant

an acquired taste for sure. But seriously..SOME of it is jet fuel-like..and some is not as in-your-face smokey. That Glenfiddich is much smoother.

Someone gave bob a bottle of some really old Irish whisky a couple of weeks ago too, which I had never heard of, called Redbreast. IT is amazing and smooth too, almost tastes like a different breed of alcohol than Jameson.

dian in spokane
                        Participant

an acquired taste for sure. But seriously..SOME of it is jet fuel-like..and some is not as in-your-face smokey. That Glenfiddich is much smoother.

Someone gave bob a bottle of some really old Irish whisky a couple of weeks ago too, which I had never heard of, called Redbreast. IT is amazing and smooth too, almost tastes like a different breed of alcohol than Jameson.

Nancylee
                          Participant

You are not just a beautiful face! Wow, you know alot about Scotch. I have tasted expensive stuff and it smells and tastes like jet fuel. ( I have never tasted that)

I am sure you would really really have to love scotch and have an unlimited cash supply.

dian in spokane
                          Participant

There are a lot of variation in the flavors of Scotch dependant on the region it comes from, and it's age. So something like Laphroaig tastes very different than Glenfiddich or Dalwhinnie.

For a hundred bucks, you can probably get a great 15 or 18 yr old single malt scotch. If this is a gift, it's a great gift!

You can't go wrong with any of the above brands, or Macallan!

A taste test is in order! If this is a gift for a Scotch lover, I say include this person in a group of 4, and go to a bar that has a bunch of high dollar scotches. Bring your Platinum Card and taste the top 8. This will only work if you are ALL willing to sip off the same glass! that way everyone gets to try some. You can get a scotch lesson from the barkeep AND from your scotch loving friend, and also see which variety he/she prefers.**

Scotch is an acquired taste. Some of it tastes like..you just paid 12 bucks for the chance to lick the bottom of an old charcoal bbq grill.

If you've got all this money lying around, you should just come here. We have single malts in the house from all regions of Scotland, though..sadly, not a single bottle that cost a hundred bucks, much less 500 bucks. You can try them all. And We'll go buy some new ones to make it a fair trial 🙂

I like the 15 yr old Glenfiddich Solera Reserve. But I don't think I've tried their 18 yr old…..

Dian

**Warning: do not try this taste test ALONE or you will not be able to find your way home

BillMFl
                            Participant

Arrrrrgh  ye boozy bitches and not a virgin among ye!!!!

Bonnie Lea
                                Participant

ye be so right.  BUT we are very discriminating BB and considered  "gently used"   

Zee Goose from France, mixed with a bit of healthy quinnine laced tonic water.   yum. Sometimes I think we SHOULD dance around a fire spitting raw rum into it, to watch the mossies snap crackle and pop.  what be your drink oh mystery one.devil

Bonnie Lea
                                  Participant

ye be so right.  BUT we are very discriminating BB and considered  "gently used"   

Zee Goose from France, mixed with a bit of healthy quinnine laced tonic water.   yum. Sometimes I think we SHOULD dance around a fire spitting raw rum into it, to watch the mossies snap crackle and pop.  what be your drink oh mystery one.devil

BillMFl
                                  Participant

Arrrrrgh  ye boozy bitches and not a virgin among ye!!!!

CKasper
                                    Participant

Since becoming a Stage IIIB melanoma patient, I stopped drinking because of the opiate patch I wear….don't know much about scotch, but I sure used to know about Tequila….100 % avage..yum…I do miss it.

C

CKasper
                                      Participant

Since becoming a Stage IIIB melanoma patient, I stopped drinking because of the opiate patch I wear….don't know much about scotch, but I sure used to know about Tequila….100 % avage..yum…I do miss it.

C

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics