The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scientists reverse stance on the sun and skin cancer

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Scientists reverse stance on the sun and skin cancer

• Replies
      Jerry from Cape Cod
      Participant

Gene,

The myth about more sun reducing skin cancer is horse poop and has been debunked hundreds if not thousands of times by established researchers for a number of reasons.  The link you supplied does not provide any facts except to mention a university, no links, etc.  Give us the FACTS.

Utmost is that Vit D is Vit D regardless of the source.  NO  SUN REQUIRED.  Also, the amount of indirect sun needed for proper Vit D levels in healthy individuals is a very short time.  Supplements of any type work great.

This really isn't the place to tell folks to get more sun for the Vit D level.  If you are truely open minded then really research all the info about requirements for Vit D and methods of satisfying the need.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Gene_S
          Participant

Most melanoma information sources cite sun exposure as “the cause” of melanoma. In fact, the American Cancer Society states: “We do not yet know exactly what causes melanoma skin cancer.” The ACS notes that prolonged excessive sun exposure is just one of the potential risk factors for the disease.

Other risk factors:

• Having many large or irregularly shaped moles
            • A family history of melanoma
            • Fair skin
            • Weakened immune system
            • Over the age of 50
            • Smoking

Best wishes,

Gene

PS. I know for a fact that my melanoma was not caused from sun exposure, but in my opinion from the lack of getting adequate exposure to the best source of natural vitamin D, the Sun!

Gene_S
            Participant

Most melanoma information sources cite sun exposure as “the cause” of melanoma. In fact, the American Cancer Society states: “We do not yet know exactly what causes melanoma skin cancer.” The ACS notes that prolonged excessive sun exposure is just one of the potential risk factors for the disease.

Other risk factors:

• Having many large or irregularly shaped moles
              • A family history of melanoma
              • Fair skin
              • Weakened immune system
              • Over the age of 50
              • Smoking

Best wishes,

Gene

PS. I know for a fact that my melanoma was not caused from sun exposure, but in my opinion from the lack of getting adequate exposure to the best source of natural vitamin D, the Sun!

Jerry from Cape Cod
            Participant

Gene,

The myth about more sun reducing skin cancer is horse poop and has been debunked hundreds if not thousands of times by established researchers for a number of reasons.  The link you supplied does not provide any facts except to mention a university, no links, etc.  Give us the FACTS.

Utmost is that Vit D is Vit D regardless of the source.  NO  SUN REQUIRED.  Also, the amount of indirect sun needed for proper Vit D levels in healthy individuals is a very short time.  Supplements of any type work great.

This really isn't the place to tell folks to get more sun for the Vit D level.  If you are truely open minded then really research all the info about requirements for Vit D and methods of satisfying the need.

Jerry from Cape Cod

MichaelFL
              Participant

What scientist(s)?

This Tara Green author, other than quoting Leeds offers nothing in this article.

You only need 20 minutes of sun every day to get the proper amount of D. 

Be wary of what you read online.

MichaelFL
                Participant

What scientist(s)?

This Tara Green author, other than quoting Leeds offers nothing in this article.

You only need 20 minutes of sun every day to get the proper amount of D. 

Be wary of what you read online.

boot2aboot
                  Participant

i would still suggest to take your vitamin D3 orally and minimize sun damage…that being said…i am on of the 10% with unknown primary…so  hanging out with old sol was not my undoing

boots

Jerry from Cape Cod
                      Participant

Hi Boots,

Just a bit of a misconception about the "unknown primary."  It is very likely that you had a mole that had melanoma but your immune system attacked the mole and just like those of us with known primaries and clear margins and SNB's one or more cells spread through the blood stream. So the "unknown primary" can't discount sun related skin cancer.

Also many moles go through a life cycle and disappear with time. I've forgotten the term, but I'm sure someone will step in.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                        Participant

Hi Boots,

Just a bit of a misconception about the "unknown primary."  It is very likely that you had a mole that had melanoma but your immune system attacked the mole and just like those of us with known primaries and clear margins and SNB's one or more cells spread through the blood stream. So the "unknown primary" can't discount sun related skin cancer.

Also many moles go through a life cycle and disappear with time. I've forgotten the term, but I'm sure someone will step in.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Janner
                          Participant

Regression is the term.  Happens all the time in normal moles, on occasion in melanoma lesions, and is the primary suspect in unknown primaries.  It is not uncommon to die without any moles, or a great many less than you had when you were younger.  I agree with Jerry, sun exposure is still the main culprit in melanoma and having an unknown primary changes nothing in regard to that.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                            Participant

Regression is the term.  Happens all the time in normal moles, on occasion in melanoma lesions, and is the primary suspect in unknown primaries.  It is not uncommon to die without any moles, or a great many less than you had when you were younger.  I agree with Jerry, sun exposure is still the main culprit in melanoma and having an unknown primary changes nothing in regard to that.

Best wishes,

Janner

boot2aboot
                            Participant

i would still suggest to take your vitamin D3 orally and minimize sun damage…that being said…i am on of the 10% with unknown primary…so  hanging out with old sol was not my undoing

boots

The scientists quoted in these articles do NOT recommend getting more sun.  The researchers recommend eating food with more vitamin D, such as tuna or other fish.  It is really important to look at all the information, because it is easy to take one sentence (about getting Vitamin D from sun, for example) out of context.  You need to go back to the original source material, not the secondary sources.  

Please be careful.

ellen – dads daughter

boot2aboot
                                Participant

i have amelanotic melanoma…so there could have been a skin change that i wouldn't have noticed since there would be no pigmentation…i disagree that sun exposure is always a culprit since some melanomas first show up in the uro-genital/digestive tract where the sun don't shine…i would like to understand, though how docs are trying to link my brca 2 status with mel…i just don't see the connection…at any rate, being stupid by going out into the sun for long periods without protection for your skin is just asking for problems…

boot2aboot
                                  Participant

i have amelanotic melanoma…so there could have been a skin change that i wouldn't have noticed since there would be no pigmentation…i disagree that sun exposure is always a culprit since some melanomas first show up in the uro-genital/digestive tract where the sun don't shine…i would like to understand, though how docs are trying to link my brca 2 status with mel…i just don't see the connection…at any rate, being stupid by going out into the sun for long periods without protection for your skin is just asking for problems…

The scientists quoted in these articles do NOT recommend getting more sun.  The researchers recommend eating food with more vitamin D, such as tuna or other fish.  It is really important to look at all the information, because it is easy to take one sentence (about getting Vitamin D from sun, for example) out of context.  You need to go back to the original source material, not the secondary sources.  

Please be careful.

ellen – dads daughter

albertnices
                                  Participant

This post is too good to use also add some more information here also add more information which is related to health topic.

Medical Problems;

http://www.thecorrect.com/

albertnices
                                    Participant

This post is too good to use also add some more information here also add more information which is related to health topic.

Medical Problems;

albertnices
                                      Participant

Medical Problems;

Bob B.
                                        Participant

Agreed.  A good test for vitamin D level seems essential to try to deal with the controversy.  Most people are looking for a silver bullet.   They're also looking  for a lead one.  The sun.  

But it's never one thing or the othe.   Cognitive dissonance causes so much discomfort to so many that we look for easy choices.  Either one extreme or the other.   

Is the sun, ipso facto, "bad"?    Of course not.   Extremes are.   

The dermatologist who excised my latest melanoma (2X the last 2 1/2 weeks), quotes a study of lifeguards who she says did not use sunscreen.   Many of them had very LOW vitamin D levels!    While others with little exposure to sun had sometimes "excessively high levels".   In part for this reason, she promotes vitamin D supplements.    I'm not a big fan of supplements, prefer natural means through diet.    And through sun.   But it's worth testing ourselves to try to find out.   ("Try", because I have no idea how valid these tests are.)

The highly rated oncologist I saw after the surgeries puts it this way:   The relation between sun exposure and melanoma is "very complex".   So how do we imagine we can pin melanoma on one thing or the other?

In other words, get tested.   Moderation in sun exposure.  But get it.   And stop using the sun as favorite whipping boy in a futile attempt to neutralize fear of melanoma.

Bob B.
                                          Participant

Agreed.  A good test for vitamin D level seems essential to try to deal with the controversy.  Most people are looking for a silver bullet.   They're also looking  for a lead one.  The sun.  

But it's never one thing or the othe.   Cognitive dissonance causes so much discomfort to so many that we look for easy choices.  Either one extreme or the other.   

The dermatologist who excised my latest melanoma (2X the last 2 1/2 weeks), quotes a study of lifeguards who she says did not use sunscreen.   Many of them had very LOW vitamin D levels!    While others with little exposure to sun had sometimes "excessively high levels".   In part for this reason, she promotes vitamin D supplements.    I'm not a big fan of supplements, prefer natural means through diet.    And through sun.   But it's worth testing ourselves to try to find out.   ("Try", because I have no idea how valid these tests are.)

The highly rated oncologist I saw after the surgeries puts it this way:   The relation between sun exposure and melanoma is "very complex".   So how do we imagine we can pin melanoma on one thing or the other?

In other words, get tested.   Moderation in sun exposure.  But get it.   And stop using the sun as favorite whipping boy in a futile attempt to neutralize fear of melanoma.

Bob B.
                                            Participant

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics