The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scar

Participant

Can someone look at this scar on my arm and notice the little brown streak on the left end side? Also there are no pea sized lumps I've read about but it feels just a little lumpy when you run your fingers across it. I had it done on April 6th of this year for a .40 mm melanoma.. Supposedly clear margins. Path report says pt1a. Should I be worried this is a recurrence? I can't tell if it's the lumps people talk about or just normal healing scar tissue. Scared.. I have a 6 month old baby. ๐Ÿ™

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Looks pretty normal. I had mine done in November and I have had spots come and go on and around my scar every since. Freaks me out when I see a spot or two but then when I check it again in a couple days to a week they are gone. The healing process is long and it's going to feel weird for quite a while. If any spot shows up and stays for more than a week, I'd let your doctor know about it and have it checked out by a professional. But, more than likely, it's just typical healing and skin spots showing up. It will feel lumpy and bumpy for a while too, just part of being a scar, it gets smoother with time.

jennunicorn
          Participant

Looks pretty normal. I had mine done in November and I have had spots come and go on and around my scar every since. Freaks me out when I see a spot or two but then when I check it again in a couple days to a week they are gone. The healing process is long and it's going to feel weird for quite a while. If any spot shows up and stays for more than a week, I'd let your doctor know about it and have it checked out by a professional. But, more than likely, it's just typical healing and skin spots showing up. It will feel lumpy and bumpy for a while too, just part of being a scar, it gets smoother with time.

jennunicorn
            Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                Participant

My husband thinks the little black streak looks like a stitch.. Is it possible one was left behind? It feels a little tender but no real lumps.. I have another Derm appt for the 30th of this month. Thank you for taking a look Jen.. Hope your having a great weekend..

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Think you'd be able to feel if it was a stitch. If it's still there at your appointment then point it out, otherwise, it's probably just part of the healing process. 

All the best,

jennunicorn
                    Participant

Think you'd be able to feel if it was a stitch. If it's still there at your appointment then point it out, otherwise, it's probably just part of the healing process. 

All the best,

jennunicorn
                      Participant

All the best,

momof4boys
                        Participant
                          Very well could be a stitch. I had one show up in my wle scar and hasnt changed a bit, drs are all sure that is what it is. Mine had internal and external stitches
                          Aubreesmommy41
                          Participant

Thank you for looking.. After I posted this the next morning another spot showed up.. I've updated my profile pic.. Do these look like stitches? Anything similar to what yours had? I'm calling the doctor today after I take my daughter to her six month checkup and see what they say.. They are so rude there I made another appt for the 30 th with another dr.. Either way I hope it's not a recurrence and can wait til the 30th if need be.. Again thanks 

Aubreesmommy41
                            Participant

Thank you for looking.. After I posted this the next morning another spot showed up.. I've updated my profile pic.. Do these look like stitches? Anything similar to what yours had? I'm calling the doctor today after I take my daughter to her six month checkup and see what they say.. They are so rude there I made another appt for the 30 th with another dr.. Either way I hope it's not a recurrence and can wait til the 30th if need be.. Again thanks 

Aubreesmommy41
                              Participant

jennunicorn
                                Participant

They look very similar to spots I have had come and go. Doesn't hurt to call the doc and get it looked at if it's causing you anxiety, just to get that piece of mind. 

jennunicorn
                                  Participant

They look very similar to spots I have had come and go. Doesn't hurt to call the doc and get it looked at if it's causing you anxiety, just to get that piece of mind. 

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

momof4boys
                                      Participant
                                        Very well could be a stitch. I had one show up in my wle scar and hasnt changed a bit, drs are all sure that is what it is. Mine had internal and external stitches
                                        momof4boys
                                        Participant
                                          Aubreesmommy41
                                          Participant

My husband thinks the little black streak looks like a stitch.. Is it possible one was left behind? It feels a little tender but no real lumps.. I have another Derm appt for the 30th of this month. Thank you for taking a look Jen.. Hope your having a great weekend..

Aubreesmommy41
                                            Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                            Participant

So I saw my Derm this morning.. He said he didn't think it was anything but because it was the melanoma scar he would biopsy both spots to make sure.. He highly doubted it was anything.. God let that be true.. Thank you guys for looking.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Aubreesmommy41
                                              Participant

So I saw my Derm this morning.. He said he didn't think it was anything but because it was the melanoma scar he would biopsy both spots to make sure.. He highly doubted it was anything.. God let that be true.. Thank you guys for looking.. ๐Ÿ™‚

ashley_k
                                                  Participant

In a very simliar boat.  I had two light brown dots come out of my scar as it healed.  One disappeared and the other kept on growing so the derm did a biopsy of the freckle looking brown spot growing out of my stich.  It came back mildly atypical.  I keep an eye on it now.  It seems like my scar has a ton more freckles around it then before – and mine was disagnosed when I was preggers and had the surgery right before I was due.  Baby is a year old now (wow it went fast).  Completey agree with the anxiety you are going through.  Totally normal.  Hang in there and feel free to vent away!  Also, trust your gut, if you do not trust your doctor, find another one you can trust.

:), Ash

ashley_k
                                                    Participant

In a very simliar boat.  I had two light brown dots come out of my scar as it healed.  One disappeared and the other kept on growing so the derm did a biopsy of the freckle looking brown spot growing out of my stich.  It came back mildly atypical.  I keep an eye on it now.  It seems like my scar has a ton more freckles around it then before – and mine was disagnosed when I was preggers and had the surgery right before I was due.  Baby is a year old now (wow it went fast).  Completey agree with the anxiety you are going through.  Totally normal.  Hang in there and feel free to vent away!  Also, trust your gut, if you do not trust your doctor, find another one you can trust.

Aubreesmommy41
                                                      Participant

Thank you so much for your response.. I was diagnosed 2 months after my daughter was born.. I'm a first time older mommy 41 and I had a stage 1a on my arm.. She's 6 months old now and I live in mortal fear daily.. Tell me how you cope with this and are you afraid of the whole it's worse for pregnant and postpartum women thing?

Aubreesmommy41
                                                        Participant

Thank you so much for your response.. I was diagnosed 2 months after my daughter was born.. I'm a first time older mommy 41 and I had a stage 1a on my arm.. She's 6 months old now and I live in mortal fear daily.. Tell me how you cope with this and are you afraid of the whole it's worse for pregnant and postpartum women thing?

Aubreesmommy41
                                                          Participant

ashley_k
                                                            Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                                            Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics