The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scar / Muscle Twitch

Forums General Melanoma Community Scar / Muscle Twitch

Participant
      Hello all! It’s been a while since I’ve posted here, but it’s been almost exactly 6 years since my 3B diagnosis, and I’ve had no treatment beyond being closely followed. All has been well!

For the past week, I’ve had a rather persistent muscle twitch that seems to be coming directly from my WLE scar. You can watch my scar jump, which is weird. Googling hasn’t given me anything to make a mild anxiety go away. Have any of you experienced this?

My WLE was just near and slightly above my right knee, on the inside of my thigh. Sentinel node came from my right groin.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. One of those “probably nothing” but weird because it seems to be coming straight from my scar kind of moments.

Thanks!

Elaine

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Hi Elaine! Good to hear from you again and that you are doing so well. It’s hard to know exactly what to make of the symptoms you describe. It may be a simple muscle twitch due to mild strain that just happens to be in the location or your WLE. As a person with over 20 scars attained over the past 17 years, I can tell you that a variety of sensations have materialized over time, in and around my various scars, especially those located in much used muscle groups. Years ago nerve regeneration wasn’t thought possible, now we know it does occur – but it takes a LOOOONG time. Sometimes those nerves perking up results in somewhat unpleasant or odd sensations. However, if it doesn’t resolve or improve, I’d probably run your experience by your doc.

I wish you well. Celeste

Treadlightly
          Participant
            Hi Elaine,

I had a melanoma removed (WLE)…nearly 10 years ago, and I still get twitches in the area. I have even felt sharp stabbing pains that lasted only a split-second in the surrounding skin. I will say that every year the sensations have been less intense and less frequent, but I do still get twitches. I attribute all of this to the nerves that were severed and damaged in the 4 surgeries that I endured as I traversed my treatment journey. I suspect that what you have been feeling is similar to what I have experienced since my melanoma surgery.

Of course, you should always tell your doctor about any observations you have, at the next opportunity.

Best regards,
            Mark 2A

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics