The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scans results

Forums General Melanoma Community Scans results

Participant

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 on July 28, 2014. I had anywhere from 10-18 tumors. Mostly in my lungs, liver, and ovaries, it was "widespread melanoma". I also had some in my abdomen, bones, and subcutanous. I had exploratory surger removing my ovareis and some of my small intestine. I started Tafinlar on 08/20/2014 at MD Anderson and had my first round of zometa that day. I went back to MD Anderson on 10/14/14 to get my CT, PET, and MRI scans completed. I got my results on 10/15/14. My doctor was very pleased with the results. Only 2 tumors were shown active in my liver and my left thigh and one dead tumor in my lungs. We are so pleased and happy with the scans. That night I did my first round of Yervoy and my second round of Zometa. I will be continuing the Tafinlar and going every 3 weeks for my Yervoy for a total of 4 rounds. I hope this is just the begining of good news to come! It's hard but I can do it!

I also asked my doctor about diet do's and don'ts. He told me to follow the LCHF diet and also get some information at http://www.dietdoctor.com.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Girl52
        Participant

Katie: Good for you! What an excellent report. Hope things continue to go well. Way to go and keep up the great work.

Girl52
          Participant

Katie: Good for you! What an excellent report. Hope things continue to go well. Way to go and keep up the great work.

Girl52
            Participant

arthurjedi007
              Participant

That is wonderful Katie.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

That is wonderful Katie.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

That is wonderful Katie.

Artie

jbronicki
                    Participant

Great Great News!  So happy for you!  Best of luck.

jbronicki
                      Participant

jbronicki
                        Participant

rick1981
                          Participant

Hi Katie,

First of all: congratulations with these scan results, great news!

Seems like my wife is potentially in a similar place, wide-spread Stage IV melanoma (mosty liver & spleen, but all over) diagnosed early June 2014. Started on BRAF/MEK inhibitors within 10 days and she's seeing good scan results so far – fingers crossed!

We're having discussions now with our MD on switching to IPI, and ultimately Pembro – what triggered the decision to switch for you? And what is Zometa? ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks & good luck!

Rick

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Zometa is a bone strengthener. It is given via an iv. A similar yet less powerful version is xgeva. It is given via a shot.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

Zometa is a bone strengthener. It is given via an iv. A similar yet less powerful version is xgeva. It is given via a shot.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

Artie

rick1981
                                  Participant

Hi Katie,

Seems like my wife is potentially in a similar place, wide-spread Stage IV melanoma (mosty liver & spleen, but all over) diagnosed early June 2014. Started on BRAF/MEK inhibitors within 10 days and she's seeing good scan results so far – fingers crossed!

We're having discussions now with our MD on switching to IPI, and ultimately Pembro – what triggered the decision to switch for you? And what is Zometa? ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks & good luck!

Rick

rick1981
                                    Participant

Hi Katie,

Thanks & good luck!

Rick

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics