The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scan schedule following stage 3 diagnosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Scan schedule following stage 3 diagnosis

Participant
      Hi all,
      I was diagnosed stage 3a last year and just finished 26 treatments of opdivo. Initially, I had three pet scans last year (June, Sept, Dec) which were all clear and then my insurance denied my pet for March this year and I had a ct scan instead which was clear. I am due for my 3-4 month scan and they denied PET again and I have a CT scheduled for tomorrow. Should I be appealing the PET denial? I’ve heard CT are not as accurate and I don’t know if they will even approve anymore pet scans?? Is anyone else having this trouble?
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichelleRHG
        Participant
          I have only had PET scans immediately prior to surgery, otherwise CT every 3 months per protocol at MD Anderson. That was at stage 3 and currently at stage 4. I think this question has been posted before and most people get the CT! I do know there are a lot of false positives with PET and the CT are able to pick up her, very small things (recently 3 mm pulmonary node in my case). Hopefully others will chime in!
            stevek1959x
            Participant
              Much like you, I just completed Nivo and had my last PET which was negative along with the previous two (Stage 3C). The next scan in October will be a CT – Torso only.
              Ch256706
              Participant
                Thank you for the information!! Do you mind me asking how long you we’re stage three before progressing? Did you do treatment at stage 3?
                MichelleRHG
                Participant
                  Sure. I was at Stage 3 for about 1.5 years before it advanced to Stage 4. I did have adjuvant treatment at Stage 3.
                Johnjk04
                Participant
                  Stage IV since 2011. Smilow will / Yale has never given me a PET scan. They have made up for it with plenty of CT scans and brain MRIs. They believe the CTs and brain MRIs provide them with all the information they need.
                    MichelleRHG
                    Participant
                      Yes! I forgot to mention the brain MRIs in my post above.
                      Ch256706
                      Participant
                        Thank you! I’ve never had a brain mri and will be asking for one.
                      jbronicki
                      Participant
                        Hello,

Just to add, my husband was diagnosed as both 3c and 4 due to the oddness of his presentation which is technically stage 4 with unknown primary. He goes to MD Anderson. His first set of scans were CT (chest and abdomen/pelvis) and Brain MRI. He was then scanned every three months with CT scans of chest/abdomen/pelvis with yearly Brain MRI at MD Anderson for first two years and then every six months for the last 3 years. He also had Ultrasound of his lymph nodes near the site every 3 months for the first year. He couldn’t do year 2 Brain MRI due to extreme claustrophobia (they tried to drug him and even that wasn’t enough)

On year 3, the insurance company didn’t want to cover Brain MRI even though Dr. Amaria called the Insurance company and pleaded. So they switched to do a CT scan of the head that year. It may not be quite as sensitive, but my husband liked it a lot more since CT scanner is so much more open.

I don’t think there was ever a talk of PET scans and not sure if that was because of his insurance or if this was the protocol at the time. This year he will do yearly CT scans.

PET scans are a lot more expensive than CT scans (which the insurance company would care about) and since they are based on metabolic activity and how the organ is working (so functional changes can occur before physical change) versus an image of the structure/organ, therefore they they are expected to detect “activity” earlier (I’m not sure how much earlier, would have to look at the research to assess this difference). The insurance can deny if there is another “treatment, test, procedure” that is approved standard of care such as CT scans. Since they originally approved the PET scans (just like they originally approved the MRI for my husband for first two years), they have now determined you do not need these anymore and possibly has some sort of formula with variables they plug in like risk ratio, risk of progression, time since last evidence of disease, number of approvals already, number of clear scans, treatment time etc etc (just guessing on my part on the variables that would go into their decision, but just for example) and that would be miraculous if they provided this type of information. Some variable has made the determination that the added expense of the PET scan isn’t beneficial enough above and beyond other standard (CT scans) to outweigh the cost, etc to approve at this time. And this all varies by insurance company that the patient has so I’m guessing many on this board have gone through this. If you have the time, energy and passion, probably wouldn’t hurt to reach out and push back if you feel strongly about PET scans moving forward. This is first denial so would be good to find out why.

Looks like the ultimate standard might be this in the future to cover all bases: https://www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/diagnosing-cancer/tests-and-procedures/positron-emission-tomography-and-computed-tomography-pet-ct-scans

LIke anything else, getting this information from them will take some work. Did they give you a reason for the denial? Technically, they should tell you in the Explanation of Benefits or something why this is being denied? Did your doctor call them when it was denied to appeal?

Congratulations on finishing treatment and clear scans, that is huge!

Ch256706
                          Participant
                            Great information Jackie. I received a letter yesterday from the insurance that said “Your records show that you have no known disease in your body. PET imaging is not supported as routine follow up test when you are not receiving active treatment” along with some other information. However they denied my PET three months ago when I was receiving treatment. I think it is because nothing has ever showed on a scan they believe CT to be the routine test at this point. Did your husband do treatment? Best of luck to you all.
                            jbronicki
                            Participant
                              Well so much for consistency in their variable! My husband did not get treatment after surgery once the scans were clear, just monitoring protocol. He was offered IL-2 and biochemo treatment (I think they discussed vaccine trial but nothing was open at MD Anderson at that time) due to the high risk characteristics of his presentation, but he chose not to. Immunotherapy drugs like Keytruda and Opdivo were not yet approved until about a year after his diagnosis I think and not then for adjuvant. The irony isn’t lost to me that I’m married to someone that wouldn’t do treatment unless absolutely has to and then would have to be convinced to do it and might still not do it, I’m the opposite.
                        Viewing 2 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics