The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scalp melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Scalp melanoma

Participant

Hi everyone,

My name is TJ and I'm 28 and was recently diagnosed with Stage Ib malignant melanoma on the scalp, which is typically found in men with an average age of around 60. This website has been incredibly helpful for me hearing the experiences of others. Are there any other folks out there who were dianosed with a primary on their scalp at such a young age? I would love to hear any experiences with scalp melanoma that you may have.

Thanks!

TJ

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        O_O
        Participant

Hi, yes, 27, found in scalp and a lymph node in my neck about a year ago (stage III). 

Had three surgeries this year and it came back each time. It looks like it might've come back again, but it's not certain yet.

Did adjuvant Ipilimumab trial after second surgery, it came back on the next scan, did a third surgery, and had my first maintenance dose of Ipi last month, hoping this time it'll kick in.

Surgeries went well, no complications other than mild (barely noticable) nerve damage affecting my lower lip. The spot where they removed my scalp is rather gruesome, and Dr. said hair transplant probably wouldn't take because they went quite deep. So I wear my hair long these days (looks like someone took a bite off my head or something). 

Ipi side effects have been minor. Some fatigue, but went away within a month or two of the last infusion.

Good luck, and keep an eye open for new symptoms. The earlier you catch it the better.

Teej
            Participant

Thank you for your reply and glad to hear your surgeries went well! When you say it came back each time after three surgeries…was it local recurrence, or did it involve the nodes? I'm still quite new to this and trying to learn as much as possible. Wishing you the best as well, TJ

Teej
              Participant

Thank you for your reply and glad to hear your surgeries went well! When you say it came back each time after three surgeries…was it local recurrence, or did it involve the nodes? I'm still quite new to this and trying to learn as much as possible. Wishing you the best as well, TJ

Teej
                Participant

O_O
                Participant

Hi, yes, 27, found in scalp and a lymph node in my neck about a year ago (stage III). 

Had three surgeries this year and it came back each time. It looks like it might've come back again, but it's not certain yet.

Did adjuvant Ipilimumab trial after second surgery, it came back on the next scan, did a third surgery, and had my first maintenance dose of Ipi last month, hoping this time it'll kick in.

Surgeries went well, no complications other than mild (barely noticable) nerve damage affecting my lower lip. The spot where they removed my scalp is rather gruesome, and Dr. said hair transplant probably wouldn't take because they went quite deep. So I wear my hair long these days (looks like someone took a bite off my head or something). 

Ipi side effects have been minor. Some fatigue, but went away within a month or two of the last infusion.

Good luck, and keep an eye open for new symptoms. The earlier you catch it the better.

O_O
                  Participant

Gene_S
                    Participant

Hi TJ,

Sorry you have to come to this site but there is a lot of useful information here and knowledgeable people that have been through a lot.

While my husband was much older (in his 50's when he was first diagnosed and at III C because of the size) he is now NED (no evidence of disease) for over 2  years now after progressing to IV.  He was in a clinical trial for Ipi (now Yervoy) and if you would like to read his information check out his profile.  He was first diagnosed in Jan. 2008, Stage IV in 2010 and NED since Oct. 2012.

Judy (loving wife of Gene)

Teej
                        Participant

Judy-

I read Gene's story. That is awesome to hear that your husband has been NED after two years! I can honestly say I knew nothing about melanoma until a few months ago. Thank you for your reply to my post. All of the info and personal stories on this site has been so helpful.

Teej
                          Participant

Judy-

I read Gene's story. That is awesome to hear that your husband has been NED after two years! I can honestly say I knew nothing about melanoma until a few months ago. Thank you for your reply to my post. All of the info and personal stories on this site has been so helpful.

Teej
                            Participant

Judy-

Gene_S
                            Participant

Hi TJ,

Sorry you have to come to this site but there is a lot of useful information here and knowledgeable people that have been through a lot.

While my husband was much older (in his 50's when he was first diagnosed and at III C because of the size) he is now NED (no evidence of disease) for over 2  years now after progressing to IV.  He was in a clinical trial for Ipi (now Yervoy) and if you would like to read his information check out his profile.  He was first diagnosed in Jan. 2008, Stage IV in 2010 and NED since Oct. 2012.

Gene_S
                              Participant

Hi TJ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics