The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SBRT for lung metastes

Forums General Melanoma Community SBRT for lung metastes

Participant

okay! Well, I couldn't really find anyone to speak up and say that they've had targeted radiation for a lung met, but that's the route I'm going for. I see them for set up today, and next week will start 5 treatments of SBRT, two a week, to kill off that single nodule in my right lung.

okay! Well, I couldn't really find anyone to speak up and say that they've had targeted radiation for a lung met, but that's the route I'm going for. I see them for set up today, and next week will start 5 treatments of SBRT, two a week, to kill off that single nodule in my right lung.

There is an enlarged lymph node in my mediasternum, which my oncologists do not believe to be melanoma (it is 19 mm, so bigger than the nodule we are removing) but has not lit up a single PET scan so we are just going to watch it with the same scans we use to follow the radiation success.

They are also doing a little genetic testing on my biopsy sample, looking for the CD 30 antigen, for a possible monoclonal antibody study in the future. And today I might look at how much of that sample is left for some other genetic testing.. maybe an anti pd1 trial.

I am also still considering a trial (if I can find one) that might be available post radiation, but I'm not all that keen on ANY trials this time around.

My radiation doc was very encouraging, talking to me about another melanoma patient he has who he's been treating for 10 yrs now, occasionally frying out new nodules as they appear and returning her NED status. She, like me, is one of those melanoma patients who have had single tumors pop up after years of remission. SO I like that.

This nodule, I think, is the perfect way to experiment a little and see if SBRT can be effective for me in the future as well. It is such a slow growing thing, that even if the SBRT doesn't work, I'll still have plenty of time to try some other thing in six months if it turns out not to be dying.

Since I haven't been able to find much on here from people who've used SRS for lung mets, I'll be on here reporting how things go for anyone who might want to consider it in the future. (Consider this a CALL OUT to anyone out there who HAS dealt with a single lung met this way, please chime in!)

I'm also interested in looking again at any trials that might be available for stage IV patients with no measurable disease. Something I could maybe get into after the radiation is done.

Thanks!

Dian in spokane

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

As far as I know, stereotactic radiosurgery for body mets is relatively new and requires a different (big, expensive) machine than does SRS for brain mets. So maybe few people here have had the opportunity. You will be blazing the trail for the rest of us! Given that you only have one met and it seems that it's growing slowly, SBRT sounds ideal for you.  

Also, just today Linny posted a link to a nice review article summarizing emerging melanoma treatments that are either in clinical trials now or will be soon. Something for you to think about for the future.

Here's hoping the SBRT works for you! Please do let us know how it goes.

POW
          Participant

As far as I know, stereotactic radiosurgery for body mets is relatively new and requires a different (big, expensive) machine than does SRS for brain mets. So maybe few people here have had the opportunity. You will be blazing the trail for the rest of us! Given that you only have one met and it seems that it's growing slowly, SBRT sounds ideal for you.  

Also, just today Linny posted a link to a nice review article summarizing emerging melanoma treatments that are either in clinical trials now or will be soon. Something for you to think about for the future.

cookiemom
              Participant

A few  months ago I wrote about my wonderful  treatment with targeted cyberknife for a lymph node in the chest near the the esophagus.  My case had been presented to Tumor Conferences and all said the risks outweighed any positive outcomes.  Just by chance I found out about this new technique.  There aren't very many facilities that are capable of providing this service.  I received 5 treatments without any discomfort and am doing great!  The tumor is shrinking and an added plus that it can be treated again if there is regrowth.  I went from no hope to a new outlook on life.  I know this isn't the lung but close enough to be having the same concerns, etc.  I did have a short bout with radiation esophagitis that I was told could happen.  My doctor said the machine would be considered a 7TH generation compared to the earlier machines.  I do not understand all of the radiation therapy modalities, etc. and how they differ or are alike.

If you would like to visit please let me know.

Sincerely,    K

dian in spokane
                Participant

Hey Cookiemom,

I think I even read some of your posts. I'l go back and reread your stuff now. I don't know any details about this particular machine they will be using, but I'm pretty excited about it.

where do you live?

dian

dian in spokane
                  Participant

Hey Cookiemom,

I think I even read some of your posts. I'l go back and reread your stuff now. I don't know any details about this particular machine they will be using, but I'm pretty excited about it.

where do you live?

dian

dian in spokane
                    Participant

Hey Cookiemom,

where do you live?

dian

cookiemom
                      Participant

I live in Chandler, AZ.  The clinic is in Scottsdale and is the only one in AZ.

Their website is enclosed.  There are many patient testimonials included.  The doctors and personnel couldn't be nicer.

phoenixcyberknifecenter.com

I'm also seen by the University of Arizona  Cancer Center in Tucson.  I consider myself very fortunate to have all these professiionals, but I'm also aware that it's my life and the decisions are mine.  Boy, have I lucked out!

Good Luck to you.

cookiemom
                        Participant

Their website is enclosed.  There are many patient testimonials included.  The doctors and personnel couldn't be nicer.

I'm also seen by the University of Arizona  Cancer Center in Tucson.  I consider myself very fortunate to have all these professiionals, but I'm also aware that it's my life and the decisions are mine.  Boy, have I lucked out!

Good Luck to you.

dian in spokane
                          Participant

Cookiemom,

My son is a resident at the UofA in the Emergency department. I was just in Tucson last week!

Thanks for your encouraging words. I hope I respond as cell to this technique as you have. Can you describe any side effects?

Yesterday I read that the danger of chest wall pain increases two fold for the obese, which, unfortunately..I AM these days.

Did you have pain? if so, did it disipate? Did you have skin burns?

dian

dian in spokane
                            Participant

Cookiemom,

My son is a resident at the UofA in the Emergency department. I was just in Tucson last week!

Thanks for your encouraging words. I hope I respond as cell to this technique as you have. Can you describe any side effects?

Yesterday I read that the danger of chest wall pain increases two fold for the obese, which, unfortunately..I AM these days.

dian

cookiemom
                              Participant

What a small world. Glad you have a son in the medical community.  Whenever you have some time I hope our paths will cross. 

I had no side effects at  the time of treatment.  A week to 10 days post treatment I had very minimal symptoms of radiation esophagitis which I was told could happen.  Certainly nothing to interrupt my day.  I never knew the tumor was there.  Also didn't know I had a very small adrenal tumor.  My doctor says they treat many adrenal melanoma tumors.  Those are treated with targeted therapy (maybe that isn't what mine is called).  The first procedure is inserting some radioactive pellets that will show the way the tumor lays.  He says this technique is used for body parts that are always in motion.My skin is clear.  Never any burns or discomfort.

Best wishes for good results and hope you will be feeling better soon.  As far as obese goes, I've got bigger things to worry about.  I know I should lose weight, but now I'm told cancer patients shouldn't lose weight.  Well, that is  something I can strive to do.  I enjoy eating and laughing and for now that is how I'm living.  My husband was told that if anything tastes good, spit it out.  Not going to happen at our house!

I've just developed shingles in the past week.  Really it's a very mind case so lucked out again. 

I would like to keep in touch.

Sincerely,       Kaye

cookiemom
                                Participant

What a small world. Glad you have a son in the medical community.  Whenever you have some time I hope our paths will cross. 

I had no side effects at  the time of treatment.  A week to 10 days post treatment I had very minimal symptoms of radiation esophagitis which I was told could happen.  Certainly nothing to interrupt my day.  I never knew the tumor was there.  Also didn't know I had a very small adrenal tumor.  My doctor says they treat many adrenal melanoma tumors.  Those are treated with targeted therapy (maybe that isn't what mine is called).  The first procedure is inserting some radioactive pellets that will show the way the tumor lays.  He says this technique is used for body parts that are always in motion.My skin is clear.  Never any burns or discomfort.

Best wishes for good results and hope you will be feeling better soon.  As far as obese goes, I've got bigger things to worry about.  I know I should lose weight, but now I'm told cancer patients shouldn't lose weight.  Well, that is  something I can strive to do.  I enjoy eating and laughing and for now that is how I'm living.  My husband was told that if anything tastes good, spit it out.  Not going to happen at our house!

I've just developed shingles in the past week.  Really it's a very mind case so lucked out again. 

Sincerely,       Kaye

dian in spokane
                                  Participant

Thanks Kaye,

I really appreciate your input. I have my first treatment on the 29th

dian in spokane
                                    Participant

Thanks Kaye,

dian in spokane
                                      Participant

Thanks Kaye,

cookiemom
                                        Participant

Sincerely,       Kaye

dian in spokane
                                          Participant

Cookiemom,

dian

cookiemom
                                            Participant

Good Luck to you.

cookiemom
                                              Participant

A few  months ago I wrote about my wonderful  treatment with targeted cyberknife for a lymph node in the chest near the the esophagus.  My case had been presented to Tumor Conferences and all said the risks outweighed any positive outcomes.  Just by chance I found out about this new technique.  There aren't very many facilities that are capable of providing this service.  I received 5 treatments without any discomfort and am doing great!  The tumor is shrinking and an added plus that it can be treated again if there is regrowth.  I went from no hope to a new outlook on life.  I know this isn't the lung but close enough to be having the same concerns, etc.  I did have a short bout with radiation esophagitis that I was told could happen.  My doctor said the machine would be considered a 7TH generation compared to the earlier machines.  I do not understand all of the radiation therapy modalities, etc. and how they differ or are alike.

Sincerely,    K

cookiemom
                                                Participant

Sincerely,    K

POW
                                                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                  Participant

Pulling and praying for you Dear Lady.

JerryfromFauq
                                                    Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

rosa1
                                                        Participant
                                                          I did radiosurgery on a lung nodule back in April as I wanted to avoid another thoracotomy, very painful. I did 4 treatments and they used a machine called Novalis TX. I did not have any side effects except for mild chest discomfort every now and then. The first scan I had 6 weeks after the treatments did not show the tumor shrinking and actually an additional spot lit up next to my jugular vein. The doctor believed the new spot to be an inflamed lymph node caused by the radiation. Then in August I was about to join a clinical trial at Moffitt and when they did all the scans, which is required before entering into any trial, they found me NED therefore ineligible to join. I’ll repeat the scans in December.
                                                          So I’d say go for it and see what happens. Good luck!
                                                          rosa1
                                                          Participant
                                                            I did radiosurgery on a lung nodule back in April as I wanted to avoid another thoracotomy, very painful. I did 4 treatments and they used a machine called Novalis TX. I did not have any side effects except for mild chest discomfort every now and then. The first scan I had 6 weeks after the treatments did not show the tumor shrinking and actually an additional spot lit up next to my jugular vein. The doctor believed the new spot to be an inflamed lymph node caused by the radiation. Then in August I was about to join a clinical trial at Moffitt and when they did all the scans, which is required before entering into any trial, they found me NED therefore ineligible to join. I’ll repeat the scans in December.
                                                            rosa1
                                                            Participant
                                                              King
                                                              Participant

Good thoughts going to you and Cigar Bob.  You've done it before and you can do it again!  You're a great story writer so it will be very beneficial to board members to follow your journey.

We're here if there is anything at all we can do.

Stay Strong
                                                                King

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

King
                                                                Participant

Good thoughts going to you and Cigar Bob.  You've done it before and you can do it again!  You're a great story writer so it will be very beneficial to board members to follow your journey.

Stay Strong
                                                                  King

King
                                                                  Participant

Stay Strong
                                                                    King

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics