The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

San Francisco 49ers PR executive

Forums General Melanoma Community San Francisco 49ers PR executive

Participant

Former 49ers galvanized by death of Dave Rahn

Posted on September 19, 2014

The passing of former 49ers’ public relations executive Dave Rahn has completely rocked former players and even a former owner. Rahn, who was 50, died Thursday in San Diego after a 27-month battle with melanoma. He is survived by his wife, Holly, and countless friends.

Several former players and coaches visited Rahn in his final days, and former 49ers linebacker Gary Plummer hosted a well-attended barbecue for him in celebration of his life in July.

Plummer also took Rahn to treatments, appointments and was by his side when he passed on Thursday morning.

“I gave back 100th over the last 27 months of what that dude gave to me,” Plummer said. “It was such an honor.”

While driving from San Diego to Santa Monica for treatments, Plummer said that Rahn was constantly on phone talking to former players, coaches, trainers, and other friends associated with the 49ers during Rahn’s tenure from 1986 to 2002.

“He was like a wheel, and all these spokes from those years came from him,” Plummer said. “He kept the 49ers family from those times together. It’s going to take dozens of people to do what he did.”

After leaving the 49ers, Rahn spent 12 years as a concert manager for Fleetwood Mac, Lionel Richie and Cheryl Crow.
      “He would treat the fifth-rung lighting guy the same way he would treat Stevie Nicks.” Plummer said. “What made Dave so special was his ability to connect.”

Former 49ers owner Eddie DeBartolo Jr., flew out to be with Rahn during his final moments. However, with Rahn slipping fast, Plummer and Holly were worried Rahn would pass before DeBartolo’s arrival.

“The last thing he said was that he would hang on until Eddie got there,” Plummer related.

Delayed in Tampa because of a traffic snarl caused by a Barack Obama appearance, DeBartolo, who Rahn simply called, “boss,” did finally arrive to see Rahn through his final moments.

“Eddie was phenomenal,” Plummer said. “I wish I could have recorded it, but out of respect and the humanity of those two, I couldn’t.”

What Rahn worried about most in his final months was that he had not left much financially for Holly, who married him only nine months before he was diagnosed with melanoma. But those who loved Rahn stepped up, including singer Chris Isaak, who made two custom guitars and auctioned them off for $48,000.

“It was amazing, (former players) who give whatever they could, $100, $500,” Plummer said. DeBartolo and other prominent former 49ers have assured Holly that finances will not be a concern.

“You hear so many bad sports stories these days,” Plummer said. “But this one is truly magical.”

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        G-Samsa
        Participant

My changing reaction to this post:

1. At first I felt that this was a little cruel, and I questioned the motive (there are a couple of  unhelpful participants here who like to post anonymously — and do so it seems with some sort of ego-driven need to stir things up– you know who you are!)  I didn't really want hear about another death…. trur 27 months could be viewed as positive, but a complete success story  would have been better Monday morning.

2.  Then my reaction altered a bit — glad that a high profile obit was so specific about the disease.  What better way to draw attention to the seriousness of the illness than to show how futile it can be– even with the resources of a celeb.  Melanoma is too often dismissed as skin cancer– as if skin were an unimportant organ– and wasn't the defensive line to lungs, liver, bones, etc.

3.  I am now at a new "curiosity" stage… Wondering about the nature of the disease and how Dave fought it, whether he was a member here and rang in on some of our questions adding to the collective intelligence.

i suppose there will be other stages to this reaction as the Big Bang reverberates….

JC
            Participant

i don't think anyone posts here just for the sake of being cruel.  it's information, it's stories, take them, leave them, read them, don't read them.  I don't think there are big cruel motives people have for posting information here, even if some might interpret it that way.  Success stories are great for sure, but all of it is part of the picture, good stories, sad stories, etc..  I do think higher profile stories bring more attention to the disease

JC
              Participant

i don't think anyone posts here just for the sake of being cruel.  it's information, it's stories, take them, leave them, read them, don't read them.  I don't think there are big cruel motives people have for posting information here, even if some might interpret it that way.  Success stories are great for sure, but all of it is part of the picture, good stories, sad stories, etc..  I do think higher profile stories bring more attention to the disease

JC
                Participant

G-Samsa
                Participant

1. At first I felt that this was a little cruel, and I questioned the motive (there are a couple of  unhelpful participants here who like to post anonymously — and do so it seems with some sort of ego-driven need to stir things up– you know who you are!)  I didn't really want hear about another death…. trur 27 months could be viewed as positive, but a complete success story  would have been better Monday morning.

2.  Then my reaction altered a bit — glad that a high profile obit was so specific about the disease.  What better way to draw attention to the seriousness of the illness than to show how futile it can be– even with the resources of a celeb.  Melanoma is too often dismissed as skin cancer– as if skin were an unimportant organ– and wasn't the defensive line to lungs, liver, bones, etc.

3.  I am now at a new "curiosity" stage… Wondering about the nature of the disease and how Dave fought it, whether he was a member here and rang in on some of our questions adding to the collective intelligence.

i suppose there will be other stages to this reaction as the Big Bang reverberates….

G-Samsa
                  Participant

BrianP
                    Participant

Dave and Holly have been active on this board in the past. Here is one of there last post:

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/pd1-didnt-work

My heart goes out to Holly in this difficult time. 

Brian

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Oh my God. That was him ๐Ÿ™ Now I remember them a lot. Damn stupid disease.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

Artie

BrianP
                            Participant

Dave and Holly have been active on this board in the past. Here is one of there last post:

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/pd1-didnt-work

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Brian

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics