The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

S -100 marker

Forums General Melanoma Community S -100 marker

Participant

Hey dear friends, 

can someone please explain the importance of the mentioned marker?

my fathers last report states that his s-100 is  bordeline elevated, his ldh is normal and all other clinical signs are normal… Is this something we should be worried about or it maybe isn't related to mel? It is higher than his levels from the last check up 3 week earlier…

he is otherwise on keytruda and his first pet scan (in may) showed total regression of his mets in the lungs and almost completely gone soft tissue met which was really large…

any input will be greatly appreciated…

love,

Patrisa

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Polymath
        Participant

Hi Patrisa,

A quick read on S100 protiens on Wikipedia does mention it as a "marker" for certain tumors including melanoma.  Otherwise most of the explanation is above my pay grade.  You may want to check it out but like LDH which also is noted as a measure of tumor activity or burden, I think one piece of information does not complete the puzzle.  I am curious to ask what you define as "really large" tumors?  I tend to have large tumors but only the smaller (for me) ones appear to be responding to immunotherapy.  My really large, is really, really large, and is stubborn and keeps growing.  How big is big?

Gary

Patrisa
            Participant

Thank you Gary for your reply…. 

My fathers soft tissue met was like a tennis ball (if you cut in in half), that to me is quite large… In the winter it could be seen through his sweater and coat, sticking out…

but it can not bee seen or felt anymore after 5 rounds of keytruda…

it just bothers me to see this stupid marker elevated, and of course my father does not let me go with him to the doctors so i could ask some questions… That s why i'm soooo grateful to have found this amazing site and all you wonderful people…

I tell myself it' not that big a deal cause it's on the upper normal level, cause all the other parameters seem to be great, but it's hard to wait 3 weeks for another blood check.. :-/

i trully hope your biggest responds to something asap!!!!

thank you Gary!

love,

Patrisa

Polymath
              Participant

Hi Patrisa,

Thanks for your response and description.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who has trouble defining where we stand in the scheme of things.  Your father's tennis ball size tumor certainly can be described as large, compared to what I have read here.  Like me, it sounds as though his was sub-Q tumor which at that size is both disfiguring, and depending on location can make life miserable.  I've had three such, slightly larger tumors treated with radiation as they were really effecting my quality of life.  Now I battle a mass twice as large, the size of grapefruit internally.  It is fantastic news that Dad has responded so well to Pembro despite his large tumors.  I have found immunotherapy to offer me some results on smaller (6cm or so) tumors, but unable to conquer that really big mass.  Thanks again and best to Dad in the battle.

Gary

Polymath
                Participant

Hi Patrisa,

Thanks for your response and description.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who has trouble defining where we stand in the scheme of things.  Your father's tennis ball size tumor certainly can be described as large, compared to what I have read here.  Like me, it sounds as though his was sub-Q tumor which at that size is both disfiguring, and depending on location can make life miserable.  I've had three such, slightly larger tumors treated with radiation as they were really effecting my quality of life.  Now I battle a mass twice as large, the size of grapefruit internally.  It is fantastic news that Dad has responded so well to Pembro despite his large tumors.  I have found immunotherapy to offer me some results on smaller (6cm or so) tumors, but unable to conquer that really big mass.  Thanks again and best to Dad in the battle.

Gary

Polymath
                  Participant

Hi Patrisa,

Gary

Patrisa
                    Participant

My fathers soft tissue met was like a tennis ball (if you cut in in half), that to me is quite large… In the winter it could be seen through his sweater and coat, sticking out…

it just bothers me to see this stupid marker elevated, and of course my father does not let me go with him to the doctors so i could ask some questions… That s why i'm soooo grateful to have found this amazing site and all you wonderful people…

I tell myself it' not that big a deal cause it's on the upper normal level, cause all the other parameters seem to be great, but it's hard to wait 3 weeks for another blood check.. :-/

thank you Gary!

love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                      Participant

thank you Gary!

love,

Patrisa

Polymath
                      Participant

Hi Patrisa,

A quick read on S100 protiens on Wikipedia does mention it as a "marker" for certain tumors including melanoma.  Otherwise most of the explanation is above my pay grade.  You may want to check it out but like LDH which also is noted as a measure of tumor activity or burden, I think one piece of information does not complete the puzzle.  I am curious to ask what you define as "really large" tumors?  I tend to have large tumors but only the smaller (for me) ones appear to be responding to immunotherapy.  My really large, is really, really large, and is stubborn and keeps growing.  How big is big?

Gary

Polymath
                        Participant

Hi Patrisa,

Gary

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics