The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Royal Nuptuals

Forums General Melanoma Community Royal Nuptuals

Participant

So Roxanne, I think we royal watchers, have a cyber date April 29th 2011 at Westminster Abbey.  I shall set my alarm clock, and PVR it just in case I don't wake up in time.

Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving, and what is Black Friday (other than a sort of mad Boxing Day shop-a-thon.  I always figured it to be some horrid riots somewhere at one time and it was rememberance of it.  Like black sunday?  I dunno, as always I am confused on some american things. 

So Roxanne, I think we royal watchers, have a cyber date April 29th 2011 at Westminster Abbey.  I shall set my alarm clock, and PVR it just in case I don't wake up in time.

Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving, and what is Black Friday (other than a sort of mad Boxing Day shop-a-thon.  I always figured it to be some horrid riots somewhere at one time and it was rememberance of it.  Like black sunday?  I dunno, as always I am confused on some american things. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

Bonnie darlin! Thanksgiving is coming UP..on Thursday, and "Black Friday" is the day after, the official start of the Christmas shopping season (though..it's already started here for sure!) A lot of the stores have 'door buster' sales, where you get special deals if you are there during the first hour or two. Some of the stores open up VERY early..like 4 am

LV
            Participant

And it's called Black Friday because this is the day that may push a business's bottom line from red (loss) into black (profit).

LV
              Participant

And it's called Black Friday because this is the day that may push a business's bottom line from red (loss) into black (profit).

KyCyn
                Participant

Booooooooo on Black Friday!!  I'm probably stepping on some toes (and if so, my apologies, nothing personal πŸ™‚ but I HATE Black Friday!  We Americans keep putting more and more and more in the way of  'quality time' with our families.  I was dismayed years ago when stores started opening on Sundays – there went the Sunday afternoons of visiting family, eating big meals and hanging out watching football or doing jigsaw puzzles; instead Sunday is just another day, ho hum.

And now Black Friday starts earlier and earlier and earlier.  Sears, Kmart, Old Navy, Walmart, etc… are now all opening on Thanksgiving day!  Soon, Thanksgiving will be a thing of the past as well – we'll grab a quick bite to eat (or better yet, take everyone out to eat, no muss no fuss!) and get that out of the way to Head To The Stores!  Shop 'Til We Drop!  Damn the Torpedoes!  And really, do you NEED those two tvs at $40 each?  Really??

Yes, we lament the dying out of family life here in the United States – we blame it on the gays, on the liberals, on the republicans…. everywhere except on ourselves… our GREEDY little selves.

OK, done with the soapbox now πŸ™‚

LV
                  Participant

Say, I hear you can get a great deal on soapboxes this Friday, but you'd better get there early.

Seriously, though, I agree with you. I remember being shocked when the local grocery chain began staying open on Sunday many years ago, but I have to admit I enjoy the convenience.

It's kind of funny. We do all this stuff to celebrate the idea of Christmas (shopping, decorating, gift-giving) but very little in the way of actually celebrating the value of the day itself. I'm not a christian myself, but appreciate and value the spirit of the day – love, compassion for others, joy. But like so many other things, we seem to value the outward show more than the inner contemplation of the meaning.

C'est la vie dans le monde moderne.

LV
                    Participant

Say, I hear you can get a great deal on soapboxes this Friday, but you'd better get there early.

Seriously, though, I agree with you. I remember being shocked when the local grocery chain began staying open on Sunday many years ago, but I have to admit I enjoy the convenience.

It's kind of funny. We do all this stuff to celebrate the idea of Christmas (shopping, decorating, gift-giving) but very little in the way of actually celebrating the value of the day itself. I'm not a christian myself, but appreciate and value the spirit of the day – love, compassion for others, joy. But like so many other things, we seem to value the outward show more than the inner contemplation of the meaning.

C'est la vie dans le monde moderne.

TinaR
                      Participant

I don't shop on Friday …I don't need anything that's worth leaving my bed at 3 a.m. I don't mind it though…if people can't afford something at regular price ( and after the last 10 years…that includes SO many ) …it's  chance to find whatever you are looking for at a price you can afford. I think it's a good thing for those  who do  not have as many options as the more fortunate who can stay in bed! .

As someone who enjoys shopping as a hobby ( during the daylight hours when everyone else is at work and the stores are empty!) I don't think it's ONLY about consumer greed…it's also  getting together with your relatives or friends- and this day is a tradition for some women and families. A day of shopping isn't any different that spending the entire day glued to the TV watching sports. Oh, wait, it's BETTER…because you're moving around, walking, bending, socially engaging with friends/family and that's healthy for you. 

I don't mind the music that starts the week before, the early decorations or any of it— I love this time of year. Never once have I made a mistake and put my tree up in October when  the first Xmas decorations show up in the stores. Ignore the decorations, the music and the excited children. They can't make you buy Christmas cheer if you don't wanna πŸ˜‰  I wish EVERY DAY could be an official wonderful and exciting  holiday !  I am so excited this time of year…I could burst !

TinaR
                        Participant

I don't shop on Friday …I don't need anything that's worth leaving my bed at 3 a.m. I don't mind it though…if people can't afford something at regular price ( and after the last 10 years…that includes SO many ) …it's  chance to find whatever you are looking for at a price you can afford. I think it's a good thing for those  who do  not have as many options as the more fortunate who can stay in bed! .

As someone who enjoys shopping as a hobby ( during the daylight hours when everyone else is at work and the stores are empty!) I don't think it's ONLY about consumer greed…it's also  getting together with your relatives or friends- and this day is a tradition for some women and families. A day of shopping isn't any different that spending the entire day glued to the TV watching sports. Oh, wait, it's BETTER…because you're moving around, walking, bending, socially engaging with friends/family and that's healthy for you. 

I don't mind the music that starts the week before, the early decorations or any of it— I love this time of year. Never once have I made a mistake and put my tree up in October when  the first Xmas decorations show up in the stores. Ignore the decorations, the music and the excited children. They can't make you buy Christmas cheer if you don't wanna πŸ˜‰  I wish EVERY DAY could be an official wonderful and exciting  holiday !  I am so excited this time of year…I could burst !

KyCyn
                          Participant

Booooooooo on Black Friday!!  I'm probably stepping on some toes (and if so, my apologies, nothing personal πŸ™‚ but I HATE Black Friday!  We Americans keep putting more and more and more in the way of  'quality time' with our families.  I was dismayed years ago when stores started opening on Sundays – there went the Sunday afternoons of visiting family, eating big meals and hanging out watching football or doing jigsaw puzzles; instead Sunday is just another day, ho hum.

And now Black Friday starts earlier and earlier and earlier.  Sears, Kmart, Old Navy, Walmart, etc… are now all opening on Thanksgiving day!  Soon, Thanksgiving will be a thing of the past as well – we'll grab a quick bite to eat (or better yet, take everyone out to eat, no muss no fuss!) and get that out of the way to Head To The Stores!  Shop 'Til We Drop!  Damn the Torpedoes!  And really, do you NEED those two tvs at $40 each?  Really??

Yes, we lament the dying out of family life here in the United States – we blame it on the gays, on the liberals, on the republicans…. everywhere except on ourselves… our GREEDY little selves.

OK, done with the soapbox now πŸ™‚

dian in spokane
                          Participant

Bonnie darlin! Thanksgiving is coming UP..on Thursday, and "Black Friday" is the day after, the official start of the Christmas shopping season (though..it's already started here for sure!) A lot of the stores have 'door buster' sales, where you get special deals if you are there during the first hour or two. Some of the stores open up VERY early..like 4 am

CarolA
                            Participant

Hi Bonnie.   Well, you have the explanations of black Friday.   I agree with Cyn—I don't like it, the direction it's all going,  and yet I know people that enjoy that activity and planning early shopping expeditions with their daughters.

The day after our family Thanksgiving gathering (it's held here), we all go out for breakfast (can you imagine? MORE food after Thanksgiving feast?) to merely view the traffic madness.    Sometime we make an  attempt to see a movie together, or maybe take in a nursery to see Christmas tree decor etc.   We ultimately end up here, foregoing the leftovers to Saturday or Sunday, and we enjoy pizza and leftover pies!!  And we try to find a funny movie to enjoy together (with drinks, beer, wine).

Bonnie, our news media is already alerting us IF we want to travel to Niagara Falls and such this weekend—defining the lengthy travel time to cross the border and come back.   As I've expressed to you, our local economy thrives on our Canadian neighbours coming to shop here–and they come here to shop on black Friday!!   I would have liked to have taken my daughter's in-laws "across the bridge" to look at holiday decor, and The Falls, of course—your view, from the Canadian side.    Not a good idea this weekend!

CarolA

CarolA
                              Participant

Hi Bonnie.   Well, you have the explanations of black Friday.   I agree with Cyn—I don't like it, the direction it's all going,  and yet I know people that enjoy that activity and planning early shopping expeditions with their daughters.

The day after our family Thanksgiving gathering (it's held here), we all go out for breakfast (can you imagine? MORE food after Thanksgiving feast?) to merely view the traffic madness.    Sometime we make an  attempt to see a movie together, or maybe take in a nursery to see Christmas tree decor etc.   We ultimately end up here, foregoing the leftovers to Saturday or Sunday, and we enjoy pizza and leftover pies!!  And we try to find a funny movie to enjoy together (with drinks, beer, wine).

Bonnie, our news media is already alerting us IF we want to travel to Niagara Falls and such this weekend—defining the lengthy travel time to cross the border and come back.   As I've expressed to you, our local economy thrives on our Canadian neighbours coming to shop here–and they come here to shop on black Friday!!   I would have liked to have taken my daughter's in-laws "across the bridge" to look at holiday decor, and The Falls, of course—your view, from the Canadian side.    Not a good idea this weekend!

CarolA

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics