The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Roche/Plexxikon BRAF (PLX 4032) Compassionate Use

Forums General Melanoma Community Roche/Plexxikon BRAF (PLX 4032) Compassionate Use

Keymaster

This drug has had a lot of press over the past several months, based on strong results from a small, early trial.  Today the data for larger trial were released, and here are the key points: 

–this drug is used only for melanoma patients who have mutated BRAF, about half of all melanoma patients

–about 53% of people who receive this drug have a response to the drug (vs. 14% for IL-2, for example)

–average duration of response is between 6 and 7 months

This drug has had a lot of press over the past several months, based on strong results from a small, early trial.  Today the data for larger trial were released, and here are the key points: 

–this drug is used only for melanoma patients who have mutated BRAF, about half of all melanoma patients

–about 53% of people who receive this drug have a response to the drug (vs. 14% for IL-2, for example)

–average duration of response is between 6 and 7 months

I learned today that the company is moving forward with an expanded access, or compassionate use program.  And here is the news:  they anticipate having this program open by the end of 2011.

This is much faster than I thought would happen, and is good news for people interested in having access to this drug.

I will know more as this develops, and will try to keep everyone updated.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        King
        Participant

Thanks for the information, Tim.   I sure appreciate it.

Stay Strong
          King

King
          Participant

Thanks for the information, Tim.   I sure appreciate it.

Stay Strong
            King

sharmon
            Participant

Thanks for the update.  I sure hope you meant to say end of 2010.

glewis923
                Participant

….I hope he meant end of 2010 also,  but I'm afraid he got it right by saying "…end of 2011".    It's a shame.  

glewis923
                  Participant

….I hope he meant end of 2010 also,  but I'm afraid he got it right by saying "…end of 2011".    It's a shame.  

sharmon
                  Participant

sharmon
                    Participant

sharmon
                      Participant

W.
                        Participant

I have read on another site that "Twenty U.S. Centers will open by the end of December 2010".

W.
                          Participant

I have read on another site that "Twenty U.S. Centers will open by the end of December 2010".

Suzan AB
                            Participant

Hi Tim,

Question…Does average response time mean time in remission?  Does it mean that you are NED for 6-7 months before having mets show up again?  Please advise.

Suzan AB

Stage IV

W.
                                Participant

Suzan,

I'm not Tim, but to answer the question: You are right.

More precisely: "The time to relapse or progression is the duration of response."

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/trials/taking-part/what-do-the-results-mean#duration

Suzan AB
                                  Participant

Thank you for your response and link.  This give me more information so I can choose the right option…quality vs. quanity, suffering of family and friends vs. lenth of life…food for thought.  Don't get me wrong…I am a fighter!  Knowledge = Power = Choice!  Thanks again for answering my question.

Biggest of Hugs…Off to go fishing…Hubby is in the fun mode!  Whoopee going to catch a big one today!

Suzan AB

Suzan AB
                                    Participant

Thank you for your response and link.  This give me more information so I can choose the right option…quality vs. quanity, suffering of family and friends vs. lenth of life…food for thought.  Don't get me wrong…I am a fighter!  Knowledge = Power = Choice!  Thanks again for answering my question.

Biggest of Hugs…Off to go fishing…Hubby is in the fun mode!  Whoopee going to catch a big one today!

Suzan AB

W.
                                      Participant

Suzan,

I'm not Tim, but to answer the question: You are right.

More precisely: "The time to relapse or progression is the duration of response."

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/trials/taking-part/what-do-the-results-mean#duration

Suzan AB
                                      Participant

Hi Tim,

Question…Does average response time mean time in remission?  Does it mean that you are NED for 6-7 months before having mets show up again?  Please advise.

Suzan AB

Stage IV

killmel
                                        Participant

Tim,

It would be helpful after going to this link:

http://forum.melanomaintl.org/toastforums/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=4&tid=17319

If you could giveus more info. about PLX4032 expanded access.

Thanks

killmel
                                          Participant

Tim,

It would be helpful after going to this link:

http://forum.melanomaintl.org/toastforums/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=4&tid=17319

If you could giveus more info. about PLX4032 expanded access.

Thanks

Jan in OC
                                            Participant

I am glad that more people will have access to this.  My husband has been on the Roche BRAF trial at UCLA since mid-Feb 2010.  We see tiny reductions in size of his mets every 2 months on the CT scans and no new mets developing.  The drug is not fast acting for us and we "whine" about the side effects, but we are really grateful that my husband is still here to celebrate another Birthday/Thanksgiving/Christmas!  Our Dr says sometimes slow is better on this drug.  My husband had a MRI of the brain last week and it is all clear, so we continue on the trial……

Jan in OC
                                              Participant

I am glad that more people will have access to this.  My husband has been on the Roche BRAF trial at UCLA since mid-Feb 2010.  We see tiny reductions in size of his mets every 2 months on the CT scans and no new mets developing.  The drug is not fast acting for us and we "whine" about the side effects, but we are really grateful that my husband is still here to celebrate another Birthday/Thanksgiving/Christmas!  Our Dr says sometimes slow is better on this drug.  My husband had a MRI of the brain last week and it is all clear, so we continue on the trial……

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics