The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Robotic Assited Lymph Node Dissection

Forums General Melanoma Community Robotic Assited Lymph Node Dissection

Participant

Stage 3a Melanoma w/1 positive Superficial pelvic node, deep node was negative.

My plan consists of Superficial Node Dissection (open method) and 12months Interferon.

I am seeing studies and reports where the superficial pelvic lymph node dissection is being performed using robotic assistance via a small incision on the top of the upper thigh.

I am looking  for information on facilities that offer this method as well as form feedback from anyone who have had robotic assisted dissection.

Stage 3a Melanoma w/1 positive Superficial pelvic node, deep node was negative.

My plan consists of Superficial Node Dissection (open method) and 12months Interferon.

I am seeing studies and reports where the superficial pelvic lymph node dissection is being performed using robotic assistance via a small incision on the top of the upper thigh.

I am looking  for information on facilities that offer this method as well as form feedback from anyone who have had robotic assisted dissection.

I am also interested in hearing from open method pelvic dissection recipients on how the recovery went, lymph edema and the best method to manage the edema.

Thank you,

AWG

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

It doesn't look like anyone here has had this technique.  It sounds like it is similar to laproscopic surgery for abdominal issues like appendectomy.   Do you know more about it?

awg
            Participant

It appears that Urologists are using the technique for deep node dissections for prostate cancer and superficial and deep node dissection penile cancer which require node dissection. My surgical Onc. informed me that Emory has a Melanoma surgeon, Dr. Keith Delman that has presented his experience with laparoscopic superficial node dissection, but the practice is not wide spread at this time.

My surgeon mentioned transferring a muscle from my hip to my dissection site to help protect the vascular structures, is this common with superficial pelvic node dissection?

Thanks

awg

awg
              Participant

It appears that Urologists are using the technique for deep node dissections for prostate cancer and superficial and deep node dissection penile cancer which require node dissection. My surgical Onc. informed me that Emory has a Melanoma surgeon, Dr. Keith Delman that has presented his experience with laparoscopic superficial node dissection, but the practice is not wide spread at this time.

My surgeon mentioned transferring a muscle from my hip to my dissection site to help protect the vascular structures, is this common with superficial pelvic node dissection?

Thanks

awg

Fen
              Participant

It doesn't look like anyone here has had this technique.  It sounds like it is similar to laproscopic surgery for abdominal issues like appendectomy.   Do you know more about it?

joy_
                Participant

Dr. Keith Delman at Emory Winship Cancer Institute in Atlanta performs this surgery using small incision and videoscope.  Although he recommended my husbands be done open method but his was considered a radical dissection.  My husband recovered very well and had no virtually no problems.  It really couldn't have gone any better for him.  He does have lymphedema but wearing a compression stocking helps greatly.  Hope that helps!

Wishing you an easy procedure and quick recovery…

Tracy

joy_
                  Participant

Dr. Keith Delman at Emory Winship Cancer Institute in Atlanta performs this surgery using small incision and videoscope.  Although he recommended my husbands be done open method but his was considered a radical dissection.  My husband recovered very well and had no virtually no problems.  It really couldn't have gone any better for him.  He does have lymphedema but wearing a compression stocking helps greatly.  Hope that helps!

Wishing you an easy procedure and quick recovery…

Tracy

joy_
                    Participant

oops… I see now you know about Dr. Delman.  I highly recommend him.  He is an excellent doctor/surgeon and has a wonderful bedside manner too.

joy_
                      Participant

oops… I see now you know about Dr. Delman.  I highly recommend him.  He is an excellent doctor/surgeon and has a wonderful bedside manner too.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics