The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rising LDH

Forums General Melanoma Community Rising LDH

Participant

Hi Everyody

I have liver mets and lymph nodes involement.

I have had 3 Keytruda infusions.

I just got a copy yesterday from my doctor of my bloodwork and I noticed that my LDH is rising over the last two months.

It was always around 160 in the normal range and then it went up to 183 and now it is outside the range and has gone to 215. The scale is 100-190.

All other bloodwork and liver function is normal except for the eosinophils which have gone from .1- .55.  I have heard this is possibly a good thing?

My doctor didnt say anything at all about the LDH.

I am quite concerned with this as it seems from what i have read that this is a bad sign. And it is quite possibly related to the liver mets from what i have read.

The doctor has said in the past that things might grow before Keytruda starts to work and that i would need up to 6 or 7 infusions before we could be sure if it was working or not?

Has anyone been in the same situation or can they offer advice ?

Starting to really worry that Keytruda is not working with this rising LDH and time might be running out.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hi Anon,

I've been in the same boat with keytruda: I had 3 treatments with slowly rising LDH. All were above normal, but none over 280. My doc says this happens and at this point about halfway through keytruda, not a problem.

Of course that day's LDH was down, closer to normal.  And it hasn't gone back up.  

Blessings,

Julie

Squash
            Participant

Okay so it may not necessarily be as bad as what i am imaging then.

I guess everything freaks me out these days.

Having melanoma is like being a walkng time bomb.

Very hard mentally.

Squash
              Participant

Very hard mentally.

Squash
                Participant

Very hard mentally.

Julie in SoCal
                Participant

Hi Anon,

I've been in the same boat with keytruda: I had 3 treatments with slowly rising LDH. All were above normal, but none over 280. My doc says this happens and at this point about halfway through keytruda, not a problem.

Of course that day's LDH was down, closer to normal.  And it hasn't gone back up.  

Blessings,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                  Participant

Hi Anon,

Blessings,

Julie

arthurjedi007
                    Participant

Yes my ldh went up the whole time on keytruda until I added a boat load of radiation. Then after couple months back up. Then added abraxane and dropped after first dose but now going back up.

Lots of people say ldh doesn't really give much of an indication and can be all over the place. 

I was in the eap trial so they scanned after dose 3. But yes I agree with your doc it can take more to know if it's really going to shrink everything. You might want to get your plan b ready though.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

Yes my ldh went up the whole time on keytruda until I added a boat load of radiation. Then after couple months back up. Then added abraxane and dropped after first dose but now going back up.

Lots of people say ldh doesn't really give much of an indication and can be all over the place. 

I was in the eap trial so they scanned after dose 3. But yes I agree with your doc it can take more to know if it's really going to shrink everything. You might want to get your plan b ready though.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Artie

Gene_S
                          Participant

Hello,

With liver mets I think it does register a little higher but I don't think there is any concern for the 200's.  When my husband started a clinical trial and he had liver mets, lung mets and an unresectable C-1 C-2 area pushing on those vertebre.  His LDH was 1200 when he started on the trial and while being on the Ipi we saw it fall down to the normal range.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stagei IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                            Participant

Hello,

With liver mets I think it does register a little higher but I don't think there is any concern for the 200's.  When my husband started a clinical trial and he had liver mets, lung mets and an unresectable C-1 C-2 area pushing on those vertebre.  His LDH was 1200 when he started on the trial and while being on the Ipi we saw it fall down to the normal range.

Gene_S
                              Participant

Hello,

Squash
                                Participant

Well I just thought i would update with my latest LDH levels.

They have returned to normal.

I spoke to the doc and asked him if having the runs and GI troubles for a couple of weeks could have caused the LDH levels to rise and he said it definitely can as his levels go up if he is sick.

So I guess it is not just tumors that cause LDH levels to rise.

Squash
                                  Participant

I spoke to the doc and asked him if having the runs and GI troubles for a couple of weeks could have caused the LDH levels to rise and he said it definitely can as his levels go up if he is sick.

Squash
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics